Sponsored

Ford cargo area enclosure - unlocking options?

Jak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on getting the cargo enclosure to prevent smash and grabs. But I was at a bronco event this week and played around with the locking system, and find out if somebody broke the front window and pressed the unlock button on the inside of the door, they would be able to open the back and have access to the cargo enclosure.

The enclosure prevents people from seeing what's in the back, but it'd be great if they couldn't have access to it. Is there an option where unlocking the back is separate? Maybe in the software?

This is the enclosure Im referring to:
https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-4dr-2021-deluxe-raised-lid-cargo-area-enclosure-1

Ive seen the security draw but it's too small.
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tailgate won't unlock the doors, but I've never actually checked if the inverse was true. What a glaring oversight, if true. I've only ever unlocked the tailgate with the auto unlock when it senses your hand. Eesh.

The only thing I've seen that even comes close to what you're asking is the Rough Country security box. Its not quite a full cargo area of security, though. Still, much better than none at all, or the OEM box which is less than half as tall.

The nice part of this design from my perspective is the open area on the bottom is both still usable, and allows access to the bottom storage bin.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/rough-c...ZXy9nLoWPPhRb56QH4XTOoFTmAY15SwhoCyQ0QAvD_BwE

Ford Bronco Ford cargo area enclosure - unlocking options? 1636696641644

I'm not affiliated with the link, just chose one at random.

16G steel is "ok", but its not going to stop a determined thief. Luckily, very few are.

SolidSnake

Base
First Name
Dante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have the rough country one above and like it. I had the enclosure and was not happy with it. If someone does break into your car they will not waste the time to pry open a drawer

Reactions: Jak

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
Last edited:

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tailgate won't unlock the doors, but I've never actually checked if the inverse was true. What a glaring oversight, if true. I've only ever unlocked the tailgate with the auto unlock when it senses your hand. Eesh.

The only thing I've seen that even comes close to what you're asking is the Rough Country security box. Its not quite a full cargo area of security, though. Still, much better than none at all, or the OEM box which is less than half as tall.

The nice part of this design from my perspective is the open area on the bottom is both still usable, and allows access to the bottom storage bin.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/rough-c...ZXy9nLoWPPhRb56QH4XTOoFTmAY15SwhoCyQ0QAvD_BwE

Ford Bronco Ford cargo area enclosure - unlocking options? 1636696641644

I'm not affiliated with the link, just chose one at random.

16G steel is "ok", but its not going to stop a determined thief. Luckily, very few are.
I'll have to take a closer look at this one. I want something lockable but still want enough head room to have a sleeping platform on top, the Ford cargo box is way too tall, this one might just work. I'll also look at the security drawer, I won't need much lockable space, but some things I'd like to keep out of easy reach when out exploring.

Reactions: Jak

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I remember seeing something like the cargo enclosure, but it had another door. Anyone remember seeing that?

OP
OP

Jak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Surely there's a way to fix this, maybe playing with some wires??

Last edited:

OU812

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Exlporer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If someone wants whatā€™s in your car, theyā€™ll get it. Most times, theyā€™re just looking for cash and things that can be easily grabbed, so if you slow them down your chances of keeping what you got are that much higher.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This scenario has been discussed before on here. I believe the interior lock/unlock buttons deactivate after the fob is outside the vehicleā€™s range for a period of time.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting topic.

I'm so glad I live in Maine, I rarely lock my doors.

Sponsored

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This scenario has been discussed before on here. I believe the interior lock/unlock buttons deactivate after the fob is outside the vehicleā€™s range for a period of time.
This is correct. Once locked with the fob, there is a timeout after which the door lock buttons on the doors deactivate. It's a setting that can be changed, but by default behaves this way. So the tailgate and enclosure remain secure even if the top is down, or someone somehow gets in the vehicle. Combined with the keypad, this also allows for leaving the fob in the trunk\enclosure even with the top off or doors off.

OP
OP

Jak

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thatā€™s good news, hope this is true.

MikeStLouis

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does anyone know if the Cargo Enclosure is solid enough to keep things safe with the roof off? Can it be cut through? Broken?
Need a place for gear to be kept safe with the top off.
Thanks a bunch!

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Does anyone know if the Cargo Enclosure is solid enough to keep things safe with the roof off? Can it be cut through? Broken?
Need a place for gear to be kept safe with the top off.
Thanks a bunch!
Id say youd have that open in about 45seconds with a sawzall, maybe less with a prybar.

this will prevent casual mischief makers in the grocery parking lot from yanking a loose backpack out of your cargo area.

If someone is more committed, they will absolutely get in. 99% of locks can be opened with a $2 wave rake in a matter of seconds, the locks on most of these security boxes is just cracker jack security. Sadly, you often wish thiefs would be so nice as to just pick the lock, most prefer a prybar and cause more damage in opening the device than they get from what might be inside. (I dont think this box has a lock on it though, I think its just secured by the closed liftgate)

Thats part of the reason I hesitate to get a locking box, it gives the illusion of potential valuables. worse if you actually keep valuables, but still annoying if they cause damage only to reveal you were securing nothing.

MikeStLouis

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If someone is more committed, they will absolutely get in. 99% of locks can be opened with a $2 wave rake in a matter of seconds, the locks on most of these security boxes is just cracker jack security. Sadly, you often wish thiefs would be so nice as to just pick the lock, most prefer a prybar and cause more damage in opening the device than they get from what might be inside. (I dont think this box has a lock on it though, I think its just secured by the closed liftgate)
Some of the ā€œoff brandā€ boxes are built so that all you can see is metal. So it would take some kind of rotozip with a metal cutter to get in. Just wasnā€™t sure if this Ford one was some kind of metal mesh that couldnā€™t jsut be easily cut into.

thanks
Sponsored