First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was on a day trip out of town today and my Bronco let me down. We were on the interstate travelling around 78 mph, and the engine just turned off! The engine light came on and luckily I had could still steer and had brakes. Fortunately....very fortunately, I was less than 1/4 mile from exit ramp to a rest area, and going down a hill. I was able to coast it into the rest area into a parking spot.

I first tried to restart the engine. The engine would crank, but not start. I then got a message that stated something to the affect of "accessories are on". My next step was to disconnect the battery to reboot the computers. As luck would have it, one of the sockets in the included tool kit fits the nut holding the battery cable to the battery. I removed the cable for several minutes then tightened back onto the battery....no luck! My next step was to pull the cover off the fuse box. I checked all the fuses and they were tight.....no luck! I then tried to start the Bronco from the Ford app....no luck!

Stranded at the rest area, I then called Ford Road Side Service. I got someone right away who stated they would get a wrecker service to me and have it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. I then asked if they were going to arrange for a rental car for me. Of course they stated "they don't do that". After that I lost my cool and I'm sure I said some things I shouldn't have! My girlfriend then took the phone from me at that point!

Within a few minutes the wrecker driver called me and assured me he was on the way and would be there within 40 minutes. The driver was super nice and helpful. He was even kind enough to drop off my girlfriend at the rental car business on the way to the Ford dealer. We then proceeded to drop off my Bronco at the closed Ford dealer. Within minutes my girlfriend showed up with the rental car, and we continued our day.

I will be curious to hear what the dealership finds out with the Bronco and will update this post. I am also hoping that I get reimbursed for the rental car and I don't have to driver 1.5 hours back to the dealership to pick up the Bronco....will fight to have it delivered back to my dealership.

UPDATE #1 (11/15/21)
So first thing this morning I contacted the service department at my local dealer that I purchased the Bronco from. I told them what happened the previous day, and they were sympathetic and in shock. I asked them if I should contact the dealer that my Bronco is sitting at, or if they should be the one to contact them. They stated since they have no affiliation with the other dealership that I should be the one to contact them.

I then proceeded to call the dealership where my Bronco was delivered. They were not nearly as sympathetic and acted like I was bothering them. They stated, "We're very busy and maybe this week we will get your Bronco into our shop to look at it". When I questioned about rental car reimbursement, they said "Ford doesn't do that". When I asked about a loaner car, they stated "we don't give out loaner cars". He then said, "you should call Ford customer service", and gave me the number.

Needless to say, my next call was to Ford Customer Service. They answered right away, and were very sympathetic. She asked my VIN number and other general information. When she saw I owned multiple Fords, she thanked me for being part of the "Ford family". LOL She then created a case number and ensured me that the rental car would be fully taken care of. She also stated that she was going to call the dealership. Within 10 minutes the service rep called me back and stated, "the dealership will have your Bronco in their shop and call you with a diagnosis by the end of the day"

About 3 hours later the dealership called me with the news I expected to hear..... the engine has to be replaced! The dealership stated that they would get all the parts ordered this week, and depending on availability, they should have it ready to go by the end of next week. I'm guessing with the holidays next week, it will probably be the following week. I specifically asked about a dropped valve, but the girl on the phone wasn't certain. All she said the mechanic told her was that there was a lot of scoring in the piston walls. I tried very, very hard to talk her into putting a coyote 5.0 in the Bronco instead......I don't think I was convincing enough!

Ford Bronco Bronco (2.7 engine) shut off on highway, left me on the side of the road roll back 2
Ford Bronco Bronco (2.7 engine) shut off on highway, left me on the side of the road roll back
Sponsored

Last edited:

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In for @Ford Motor Company to pop into this thread and say ‘Glad our roadside service was able to help’

And ignore the fact that a new bronco left them stranded.

Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In for @Ford Motor Company to pop into this thread and say ‘Glad our roadside service was able to help’

And ignore the fact that a new bronco left them stranded.
No, no, they’ll ask the OP to DM them so it can be privately disregarded and provided a canned response.

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The most humiliating part was that a Jeep Wrangler pulled into the rest stop as they were loading the Bronco onto the roll back.....I know they were smirking and taking pictures! LOL

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
When did you take delivery? there's a well-substantiated rumor that there's a rather large batch of engines with faulty valves in them :-(
I took delivery on 7/20 and it has 2700 miles on it.

Sponsored

TxBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar f-pace
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The most humiliating part was that a Jeep Wrangler pulled into the rest stop as they were loading the Bronco onto the roll back.....I know they were smirking and taking pictures! LOL
I know where your heads at but no brand is immune to this kind of thing.. I had a brand new Jaguar with 23 miles on it towed from my driveway the day I got it. Definitely embarrassing but it happens to all brands.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely sucks, but it happens.

One of my best friends growing up recently bought a new Chevrolet Colorado ZR2. Sent me a bunch of pictures back in September and was making fun of me "Haha you've been waiting for over a year and still don't have a truck!!".

Got a text from him 2 weeks ago, and it was his Colorado being towed out of the woods by a pair of older Tacomas. Said it was the most embarrassing moment he has had in a long time.

Apparently his engine dropped a valve, less than 800 miles. But at least it's under warranty.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know where your heads at but no brand is immune to this kind of thing.. I had a brand new Jaguar with 23 miles on it towed from my driveway the day I got it. Definitely embarrassing but it happens to all brands.
“no brand is immune to reliability issues”
*mentions Jaguar as an example of a reliable brand*
😬

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just for fun, was it a Ford Jag? (‘99-‘09)?
Sponsored

Last edited: