GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am quite sure that you already know the answers below. It's not a perfect solution, not even close, but there isn't any better solutions currently on the market either.

Does Rough Country's solution work for 2.7L-equipped Broncos?
Not out of the box. Requires relocating the transmission/radiator heat exchanger.

Which bumpers/plates is it compatible with?
So far, just the standard bumper is directly compatible. Someone did adapt it to work with the mod bumper, but required some fabrication to make it right.

Do you have to cut off pieces of the frame for this to fit?

I really wouldn't describe it as cutting off frame pieces, but rather locating blocks that were spot welded to the frame and non-structural.

Does it require relocation and/or removal of components?

It requires removal of two assembly horns (for vehicle location during assembly). These are tack welded to the frame, but must be cut off.

No other modifications needed on the 2.3. On the 2.7 the heat exchanger for the 2.7 transmission to radiator coolant must be relocated.

What choices of winch can be selected?
Anything that has the standard 10x4 bolt pattern, like Warn, Smittybuilt, HF, Rough Country, etc.

As far as the fairlead goes, I was able to bolt up the HF fairlead, but it is not recessed like the Rough Country winch fairlead is.
You are pretty much correct about me knowing the answers... to most, but not all. I think the RC winch solution is cool, but it is only better than other options for specific reasons and when certain criteria are met(similar situation for other winch solutions). Since RC stated that minor cutting/trimming is required and is not compatible with the 2.7L, I would like to see more how things have to be relocated(heat exchanger) and/or fabricated(bumper, skid plate, frame, etc.). IMHO, none of the winch solutions are particularly better or worse... I think it depends on what the individual needs and/or wants out of their winch solution.

Personally, I do not like the idea of relocating a component like the heat exchanger. I expect compatibility with Capable and HD bumpers will come. Maybe other manufacturers will come out with a hidden winch solution, but my guess is that their decisions were to come out with a solution that could work with both engine choices.

I was hoping that ARB could do it because of their Ford Performance by ARB winch capable bumper for the Ranger is hidden, sensor/ACC compatible, and maintain safety and driver assistance systems... but the Ranger has the 2.3L. The Summit bumper shown at SEMA works on both engines and does accommodate all accessories and safety features, including the front camera.(relocated, according to ARB Rep... need confirmation).
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Personally, I do not like the idea of relocating a component like the heat exchanger.
Can I ask why?!?

It's a simple liquid to liquid heat exchanger, it's plumbing and location are completely insensitive to change except perhaps with regard to any change in hose length which could affect the total amount of coolant or transmission fluid required with a long enough re-route, which on 3/8" line accounts for about 3 ounces per additional foot or foot removed.

It would be a complete different story if it was an liquid to air heat exchanger, but this is probably one of the least difficult things to relocate.

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Can I ask why?!?

It's a simple liquid to liquid heat exchanger, it's plumbing and location are completely insensitive to change except perhaps with regard to any change in hose length which could affect the total amount of coolant or transmission fluid required with a long enough re-route, which on 3/8" line accounts for about 3 ounces per additional foot or foot removed.

It would be a complete different story if it was an liquid to air heat exchanger, but this is probably one of the least difficult things to relocate.
I would be interested to see someone that attempts this relocation (owner or an aftermarket showcase).

The other thing that would be good to know with the RC hidden winch is access to the free spool on the winch itself.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would be interested to see someone that attempts this relocation (owner or an aftermarket showcase).

The other thing that would be good to know with the RC hidden winch is access to the free spool on the winch itself.
You can get to it pretty easily (if you pop the hood), however, I would probably make a quick little handle extension to actuate it either from the popped hood or from the side (as I don't think that popping the hood is a very practical way to handle it - I would probably opt for a hidden handle I could actuate from either the side or the front).

I will probably be tackling this in the next few weeks once my Bronco shows and I put a few valve validation miles on it. I have all the parts.

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You can get to it pretty easily (if you pop the hood), however, I would probably make a quick little handle extension to actuate it either from the popped hood or from the side (as I don't think that popping the hood is a very practical way to handle it - I would probably opt for a hidden handle I could actuate from either the side or the front).

I will probably be tackling this in the next few weeks once my Bronco shows and I put a few valve validation miles on it. I have all the parts.
Sounds good :) I have months and months of waiting which just keeps me jumping around on the B&P site even though I end up still telling myself to stay the course and not second guess my choices.

Sponsored

Blaylock1988

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2004 Volkswagen R32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can I ask why?!?

I agree, I'd rather relocate the heat exchanger than the ACC box, since that IS sensitive to its location. Extending the lines and gaining a little more thermal capacity from increased coolant volume isn't bad either. The key will be to make sure the heat exchanger is oriented correctly in its final location so it doesn't trap air (usually want hoses to enter/exit from the top).

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m surprised that all of these solutions involve having to purchase a new bumper rather than just adding a small piece to the modular bumper that we already paid for.

That’s Fords solution, but they have price gouged us on it so where is the aftermarket?

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’m surprised that all of these solutions involve having to purchase a new bumper rather than just adding a small piece to the modular bumper that we already paid for.

That’s Fords solution, but they have price gouged us on it so where is the aftermarket?
Depending on trim, Ford's solution will also block front parking sensors and the front facing camera gets a nice view of the winch solenoid (though you can do a solenoid relocate). Not sure if it blocks the ACC as well.

I'm glad I had to wait till '22 to place my order as I ended up with the capable bumper with fog lights. I plan on replacing the bumper when I find a good aftermarket one that will have a place for a winch (doesn't block front camera badly or is completely hidden) as well as having parking sensor positions and ACC relocate.

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can I ask why?!?

Who? Where? How? Some know what needs to be relocated and why... and maybe some like yourself may know how, but the other questions are up in the air for me and possibly many others. I would like to see this method being done and where the heat exchanger is being relocated to. I would want to make sure that it functions properly and will not fall apart under normal or severe use. If the process was so simple and easy, why hasn't RC or any other manufacturer provided some sort of a heat exchanger relocation kit for the 2.7L? Manufacturers are able to relocate the sensors, front camera, and ACC... why not the heat exchanger? The bottom line is that with these more modern vehicles today, I shy away from touching most engine-related components if I don't have to.

I agree, I'd rather relocate the heat exchanger than the ACC box, since that IS sensitive to its location. Extending the lines and gaining a little more thermal capacity from increased coolant volume isn't bad either. The key will be to make sure the heat exchanger is oriented correctly in its final location so it doesn't trap air (usually want hoses to enter/exit from the top).
The differences is that a few manufacturers have actual ACC relocation kits. Some have parking sensor cutouts. A couple have camera relocation kits. Any self-respecting manufacturer would actually test their products for proper function and safety before bringing their products to market... or so we hope.

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Who? Where? How? Some know what needs to be relocated and why... and maybe some like yourself may know how, but the other questions are up in the air for me and possibly many others. I would like to see this method being done and where the heat exchanger is being relocated to. I would want to make sure that it functions properly and will not fall apart under normal or severe use. If the process was so simple and easy, why hasn't RC or any other manufacturer provided some sort of a heat exchanger relocation kit for the 2.7L? Manufacturers are able to relocate the sensors, front camera, and ACC... why not the heat exchanger? The bottom line is that with these more modern vehicles today, I shy away from touching most engine-related components if I don't have to.

The differences is that a few manufacturers have actual ACC relocation kits. Some have parking sensor cutouts. A couple have camera relocation kits. Any self-respecting manufacturer would actually test their products for proper function and safety before bringing their products to market... or so we hope.
Most of your concerns are due to the problem everyone has faced with getting a Bronco...that it's been hard to just GET a Bronco. I think the aftermarket products we've seen made available were what they could manufacture with the trim level they were able to procure.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If the process was so simple and easy, why hasn't RC or any other manufacturer provided some sort of a heat exchanger relocation kit for the 2.7L?
You're probably right, I shouldn't even attempt this.... It can't be that easy.

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Depending on trim, Ford's solution will also block front parking sensors and the front facing camera gets a nice view of the winch solenoid (though you can do a solenoid relocate). Not sure if it blocks the ACC as well.

I'm glad I had to wait till '22 to place my order as I ended up with the capable bumper with fog lights. I plan on replacing the bumper when I find a good aftermarket one that will have a place for a winch (doesn't block front camera badly or is completely hidden) as well as having parking sensor positions and ACC relocate.
This is what I am thinking of doing. I have to reach out to my dealer to make the change to Capable Bumper, but I don't expect for my build to get pulled anytime soon. It's the only thing I may change since I placed my original order. I'll standby until early Summer to see how the winch situation pans out.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You're probably right, I shouldn't even attempt this.... It can't be that easy.
You better... I'm waiting on your findings :)

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am planning on going with LOD , they are in the design phase for Bronco and should have to market by the time we take delivery of our Badlands.

I have High Package so NO ACC to worry about

Will come in a Stubby with no Bull Bar to block trail camera

LOD on Jeeps are custom configurable with optional Widths, Bull Bars, Light Mounts and Flat Tow / Shackle points.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/2021-ford-bronco-front-bumper

LSOR

Heritage
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Updating with some info on the Lifestyle Offroad Bumper.

The factory Mod bumper weighs 79 LBS.

The Lifestyle Offroad Bumper is 80LBS, The skid plate is an additional 39LBS then the weight of your winch. Overall you will likely be under 100lbs over stock weight if using a winch with a synthetic cable.

The bumper has a very High approach angle while keeping the winch low. It is not as flashy as others, but built for the Offroad enthusiast that is going to wheel and use their bronco in extreme situations.

Forward facing sensors and ACC are also now available.

IMG_0187.JPEG

IMG_0235.JPEG

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0912.JPEG
Sponsored