Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After washing and oiling my truck filter, definitely getting a dry one.
Ford Bronco 2.3L really needs to be tuned better 29EF87FE-DC92-46DF-8A84-F13BC19F1C85
Ford Bronco 2.3L really needs to be tuned better 9B401003-E599-4F27-9F2E-F2CAFAC78991
Ford Bronco 2.3L really needs to be tuned better 08E1CF04-A0C1-4D2E-BDF4-8E188D7DDDAE
Ford Bronco 2.3L really needs to be tuned better A7DC996F-4539-4142-9AEE-AE4F6F03D133
Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been wondering... I drove a 2.7L Wildtrak the other day and it was very quick (in normal and sport modes). I asked to drive a 2.3L Ranger, but they didn't have one on the lot. He said he'd contact me when they got one in. I'm very curious to drive the 2.3L to see how similar/different it is from the 2.7L. I have time to wait. LOL
I was able to use a 2.7 during the Off-Rodeo, with a 2 x 15 miles pavement drive to the trail. The 2.7 obviously is heavier and as such feels more "planted" and "substantial" that you can feel. Now that is a good thing and a bad thing, that extra weight is noticeable during breaking, cornering and with the lower payload capacity. Of course, MPGs too. My recommendation would be that if you use it as daily driver, mainly in suburbia - take the 4 cyl. If you plan on regularly going offroad, or if you intend to trailer 3000 lbs - take the 6 cyl.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was able to use a 2.7 during the Off-Rodeo, with a 2 x 15 miles pavement drive to the trail. The 2.7 obviously is heavier and as such feels more "planted" and "substantial" that you can feel. Now that is a good thing and a bad thing, that extra weight is noticeable during breaking, cornering and with the lower payload capacity. Of course, MPGs too. My recommendation would be that if you use it as daily driver, mainly in suburbia - take the 4 cyl. If you plan on regularly going offroad, or if you intend to trailer 3000 lbs - take the 6 cyl.
Trailering a 2500-2800ish pound pop up camper was a thought for me as well. Thanks for your input on that too.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the manifold pressure is 5 psi and you're only keeping a steady 70mph speed and not accelerating, then yes, at that point you do need the turbo. At 0psi, you'd be slowing down.
May be I misunderstood what you were trying to get at.... I get that the turbo is providing boost at at steady 70MPh. And of course, more power...
But the Bronco 2.3 can make that SAME power required to do 70Mph without a turbo... And it doesn't have to be at WOT
The little 2.3 needs a bigger throttle opening than say the 2.7 to do 70MPH...It isn't because it needs turbo power to do it... It's because that throttle position/exhaust flow is causing the turbo to spin in comparison. And of course, that will create more power as a bonus.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power."

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks, just didnt think it through or would have brought the big fan from my office and returned it Monday

definitely dry and sock for the Bronco

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

definitely will next time, thanks bro

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2.3 MT BD with 4.47s and 34"s typically still runs on vacuum in 5th but normally requires boost to maintain cruise in 6th. I want to swap in so SAS takeoff gears, I think that would be perfect for this combo.

I get a consistent 15mpg commuting at ~75mph.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
According to your "tribal knowledge", you would think the 2.3 was only capable of moving a Geo Metro or lighter.

This won't count as "tribal", but instead real world experience, but as the owner of a 2019 Ford Ranger (Lariat, Super Cab, FX4 & towing package), and having done multiple trips which were each over 2,000 miles, and across the rocky mountains (and back) and all through Montana, while towing a 3,500 lb trailer with over 1,000 lbs in the bed and another 600 lbs in the cab, the 2.3 is perfectly suited for towing. (That's 9,541 total lbs for those playing along at home)-

Still has acceleration up hills, in the mountains or on flats at 70 mph, isn't overly burdened by the weight and returns decent fuel economy while doing so (we averaged about 12-15 mpg which is quite good under load and with a trailer)

I'm going to challenge you to come up with any type of hypothetical real-world situation where Bronco is required to move MORE weight than the Ranger is capable of.

Ranger:
  • 2019 Ford Ranger curb weight: 4,441#
  • Max towing capacity: 7,500#
  • Max cabin and bed capacity with full trailer is 1,860#

Ranger Maximum weight being moved: 13,801

Source: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Ranger_Oct15.pdf

Bronco
  • Curb weight: 4,997#
  • Max towing capacity: 3,500#
  • Max cabin load: 1,163#
Bronco maximum weight being moved: 9,660

Now, I might not be ivy league educated, but as your average accountant I can tell you with a very high degree of certainty, bordering on complete confidence, that 13,801 is in fact more than 9,660.

So much so, that it's nearly 30% greater. But hey, it's not like every guy has an extra 30% of length or girth for just such an occasion.

Long story short, lets lay the dick measuring to rest when it comes to the 2.3 ecoboost not being sufficient to motivate a Bronco with the minimal trailer that the suspension will allow. I will admit that i've only had a total vehicle weight of Ranger which is 119 lbs less than Bronco's maximum load. I'm willing to make a reasonable bet that the 119 lbs difference between what i've already driven with the 2.3 doesn't suddenly turn Ranger into what you've proclaimed as vastly overwhelming to the Bronco.

Trailering a 2500-2800ish pound pop up camper was a thought for me as well. Thanks for your input on that too.
Ford Bronco 2.3L really needs to be tuned better 27a99db2-4e87-449f-8f81-3c45b22a805a_text[1]

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dang. I wish I could get 21 MPG. My Black Diamond gets 18.2-18.4 MPG no matter if I drive on the highway or the back roads. I love the ride and it's a joy to drive, but a gas saver it is not. It's a 2.3l manual. Sport mode has more power than I'll ever need. It's hard to drive it easy it that mode. Fun, fun, fun.
My last two tanks in a 4dr BD non-sas 2.7 were 20 and 21 mpg. Just for reference for everyone...

Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For all the fact-slingers in here, nobody has even referenced the Pinto, where the 2.3 motor originated.

This is some shameffull S-talking from the millennials and I expected better from all of you.

@MaverickMan and I are so very disappointed in you all.

but I get it, all learning was created when Wikipedia was invented and not a minute before. Bet you kids don't even keep a few pieces of Hubba Bubba bubblegum and a jar of table pepper in your toolboxes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto_engine
Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.
Ford Bronco 2.3L really needs to be tuned better B22D3C2D-80AC-4E64-83F6-296190EA9770

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
According to your "tribal knowledge", you would think the 2.3 was only capable of moving a Geo Metro or lighter.

This won't count as "tribal", but instead real world experience, but as the owner of a 2019 Ford Ranger (Lariat, Super Cab, FX4 & towing package), and having done multiple trips which were each over 2,000 miles, and across the rocky mountains (and back) and all through Montana, while towing a 3,500 lb trailer with over 1,000 lbs in the bed and another 600 lbs in the cab, the 2.3 is perfectly suited for towing. (That's 9,541 total lbs for those playing along at home)-

Still has acceleration up hills, in the mountains or on flats at 70 mph, isn't overly burdened by the weight and returns decent fuel economy while doing so (we averaged about 12-15 mpg which is quite good under load and with a trailer)

I'm going to challenge you to come up with any type of hypothetical real-world situation where Bronco is required to move MORE weight than the Ranger is capable of.

Ranger:
  • 2019 Ford Ranger curb weight: 4,441#
  • Max towing capacity: 7,500#
  • Max cabin and bed capacity with full trailer is 1,860#

Ranger Maximum weight being moved: 13,801

Source: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ral/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_Ranger_Oct15.pdf

Bronco
  • Curb weight: 4,997#
  • Max towing capacity: 3,500#
  • Max cabin load: 1,163#
Bronco maximum weight being moved: 9,660

Now, I might not be ivy league educated, but as your average accountant I can tell you with a very high degree of certainty, bordering on complete confidence, that 13,801 is in fact more than 9,660.

So much so, that it's nearly 30% greater. But hey, it's not like every guy has an extra 30% of length or girth for just such an occasion.

Long story short, lets lay the dick measuring to rest when it comes to the 2.3 ecoboost not being sufficient to motivate a Bronco with the minimal trailer that the suspension will allow. I will admit that i've only had a total vehicle weight of Ranger which is 119 lbs less than Bronco's maximum load. I'm willing to make a reasonable bet that the 119 lbs difference between what i've already driven with the 2.3 doesn't suddenly turn Ranger into what you've proclaimed as vastly overwhelming to the Bronco.

Ford Bronco 2.3L really needs to be tuned better B22D3C2D-80AC-4E64-83F6-296190EA9770
I think you should buy another ranger!

No mention of torque, or final drive ratio. Bronco was not built to do what the Ranger was built for, dah!
Why do you have to go negative, like "tribal" and "d measuring"?
Stay focused and constructive!!
Sponsored