JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I recently performed an oil change on my 2.7L and managed to take out/drain close to 6 and 3/4 quarts of oil. The oil level readings on my dipstick has always been consistently in the nominal mark ("B") so I do not believe it was overfilled from factory. I put ~6 and 3/4 of quarts back in and the dipstick indicates that my oil level is nominal.
Any chance you can take a photo of your dip stick showing the part number and post it on this thread for comparison? Also when was your Bronco built?

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7-oil-change-took-6-quarts-not-7.20789/page-10
Sponsored

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I use the UPR plug on my GT350. It has 10 quarts of oil and my first oil change the flow from that huge hole shot back a good 2 feet behind where I had the oil pan set up. I love the new plug. One very important point, when the threads are all the way OUT, the valve is CLOSED. You screw the threads in to begin the flow. I left mine open the first time with only the rubber cap on. Did two track days and still did not leak a drop.....

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

CORRECTION to my last post and ALARMING

I guesstimated my initial oil withdrawn from the engine so this morning I decided to measure it the best I could ... I poured all of the oil i had extracted into an extraction pump i use for different things around my home.

look at these pictures and tell me if you're not fkng shocked.

IMG-8020.jpg

IMG-8021.jpg

there is more than 7.5 Liters of oil in there .... about 7.93 Quarts !!!!!

this means that either the Dealership or the Factory overfilled the OIL and I have been driving around for 1600 plus miles with ECXCESS ENGINE OIL !!!!

WTF!!!!
Idk the possibility of a factory overfill, but I could see some monkey at a dealership pulling every 2.7l in for pdi, checking the oil without waiting, and saying every one of these damn 2.7s are low on oil and topping them off.

Blueoval

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer & 2010 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, for the Ronin plug, you remove the gold cap and thread in a drain nipple? Then the oil flows out? Did you bother to take the whole drain plug out to clean off the magnet? What ID tubing did you attach to the nipple?
I can’t remember the internal diameter I used but it is listed on their site. I did zip tie it on and it makes it easier to put on and to stop the flow when just trying to drain a small amount.

Reactions: Dom

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I can’t remember the internal diameter I used but it is listed on their site. I did zip tie it on and it makes it easier to put on and to stop the flow when just trying to drain a small amount.
Thank you, I found it.... A 5/8" ID hose can be attached to the nipple of the drain tool if desired, but not necessary.

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question on the Ronin Plug, does it lock into place when seated or does the wave spring hold it in place? I sent a message to the guys at Ronin and got no response.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
CORRECTION to my last post and ALARMING

I guesstimated my initial oil withdrawn from the engine so this morning I decided to measure it the best I could ... I poured all of the oil i had extracted into an extraction pump i use for different things around my home.

look at these pictures and tell me if you're not fkng shocked.

IMG-8020.jpg

IMG-8021.jpg

there is more than 7.5 Liters of oil in there .... about 7.93 Quarts !!!!!

this means that either the Dealership or the Factory overfilled the OIL and I have been driving around for 1600 plus miles with ECXCESS ENGINE OIL !!!!

WTF!!!!
I have a similar extraction tool. Is it effective at getting most of the oil out of the 2.7? I did an oil change with it on my 2.3 and I felt like it got most of it out but when I went to replace the oil it was a quart shy of taking the recommended spec. I know there is another thread on this just trying to determine if I use the extractor or get a quick drain plug. Since the filter is on top of the engine I thought it would be pretty awesome to never have to get under the car to change the oil.

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a similar extraction tool. Is it effective at getting most of the oil out of the 2.7? I did an oil change with it on my 2.3 and I felt like it got most of it out but when I went to replace the oil it was a quart shy of taking the recommended spec. I know there is another thread on this just trying to determine if I use the extractor or get a quick drain plug. Since the filter is on top of the engine I thought it would be pretty awesome to never have to get under the car to change the oil.
Look at the picture of the dipstick/oil pan in the first post. 2.7L has a dipstick chamber that blocks direct access to the pan. No go on using an extractor.

Portapot

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7, RX350, f250,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Look at the picture of the dipstick/oil pan in the first post. 2.7L has a dipstick chamber that blocks direct access to the pan. No go on using an extractor.
That sucks but thank you! I did not pickup on that in your initial post. So no reprieve for my knees and back 😂

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used the extractor first .... got about 1.5 liters out .... so no go on the extractor.

BUT, if you have an over fill situation like I did, you can use it to get the extra oil out. In my case it was about 1/2 a quart.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That sucks but thank you! I did not pickup on that in your initial post. So no reprieve for my knees and back 😂
Isn't that kind of extractor supposed to suck? Isn't that how it works?

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently performed an oil change on my 2.7L and managed to take out/drain close to 6 and 3/4 quarts of oil. The oil level readings on my dipstick has always been consistently in the nominal mark ("B") so I do not believe it was overfilled from factory. I put ~6 and 3/4 of quarts back in and the dipstick indicates that my oil level is nominal.
this is what an overfilled oil level looks like in a 2.7
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs 9179C4AD-9F66-41A1-9043-B27621BB683E

Notice the oil is past the second hole up into the twisted part.

This is what a 2.7 dip stick looks like empty wiped clean…. No oil is supposed to be past the second hole.
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs 1F778CAC-BBCF-43BB-9EE8-B841EF54112C

This is my dip stick (flipped over)
With approximately 6.3 quarts (with new filter, run warm, and drained after 15 minutes)
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs 35FB94C8-51DF-499B-9EF2-CA197903F943

Like I said earlier this dip stick is extremely hard to read… you can see the oil breaks up just past the hole…
I believe this is on the hairy edge of overfilled.

Again, after putting in 6.5 qts. as many have suggested, I painstaking bled oz. at a time to get to this level down…

my suggestion is to put 6qts in….drive it get the oil hot…let it drain back to the pan….
Then painstakingly top off the oil to fill…

I would never trust anyone to change my oil and the oil plugs that give you bleeding capability are a plus….

Hope my experience helps others

Last edited:

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just ordered the Ronin drain plug... as much as I'm not looking forward to doing my oil changes cause I'm sooo lazzzyy... but I'll do what I have to I guess. And a torq plus tool kit...cause the factory kit for whatever reason is not "plus"... Would have to had search forever and find out the hard way on these couple things if it wasn't for the B6 family lol. Thanks for helping me spend more money guys. Lol
Sponsored