Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought this was already remedied in another thread. Found to be wiring coming through the tailgate that need insulating. Or am I wrong?
Sponsored

MAJSands07

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tesla Model S 90D; 2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Count me in as well,. So much rattling on any sort of bump, ford techs said its nothing out of the ordinaryā€¦.

They said that was normal?

zgoods

Badlands
First Name
Zgoods
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, they had it for two weeks trying to diagnose an electrical problem. I told them about this and two different people drove it and they said nothing wrong. I was even told that the broncos are like this because they wanted more "flex" for such a heavy duty off roader.

MAJSands07

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tesla Model S 90D; 2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yup, they had it for two weeks trying to diagnose an electrical problem. I told them about this and two different people drove it and they said nothing wrong. I was even told that the broncos are like this because they wanted more "flex" for such a heavy duty off roader.
Wow - I was all fired up about the rear window/tailgate rattle in my Bronco but that is nothing compared to your video. Guess I should feel lucky....

zgoods

Badlands
First Name
Zgoods
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow - I was all fired up about the rear window/tailgate rattle in my Bronco but that is nothing compared to your video. Guess I should feel lucky....
Hahah, I need to go to a different dealer but I don't want to say goodbye for another week.

Sponsored

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ā€˜21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Count me in as well,. So much rattling on any sort of bump, ford techs said its nothing out of the ordinaryā€¦.

yeah that's annoying I agree. But different tick that this thread is about - a tick in the rear gate

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That might be normal in my 11 year old Subaru station wagon, that sure as hell better not be normal in my new rig when I get it. That would be hard to ignore.

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Edge Sport, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe a piece of metal or a clip fell in? My Jeep Compass had a rattle that drove me nuts. Took it apart to find two clips rattling around loose in there. Could also be something near the tailgate and not the TG itself. Also, try a magnet. See if it 'catches' whatever it is and see if it stops.
I had a rattle in my driver's side door when I took delivery. Turns out it was a random bolt from the assembly line that didn't go to anything.

JayhawkJake

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Officially joining this club. I tried putting some painters tape on the back of the tire bumpers to isolate them from making noise. I'm pretty sure it makes them not make noise, which means that isn't the sound.

@LordElberon reported similar noises in another thread and suggested spray lube (WD40?) on the bolts you can see that mount the tire carrier. I tried that as well, wasn't successful. Put some more on (found more bolts) and we'll see if sitting overnight helps.

I find it's nearly impossible to replicate without driving the car. I've shaken the spare hard enough to shake the whole truck and I can't seem to hear the noise, with one exception where I thought it was coming from the hinges on the passenger side, but more where they are attached to the tailgate than the hinges themselves. I'm definitely not loosening that myself, but I wonder if it's related.

My next diagnostic was going to be to actually remove and remount the tire carrier itself, in the hopes that resetting whatever pre-tension it's under from assembly could do something. Don't know if anyone has tried that yet.

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ā€˜21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Officially joining this club. I tried putting some painters tape on the back of the tire bumpers to isolate them from making noise. I'm pretty sure it makes them not make noise, which means that isn't the sound.

@LordElberon reported similar noises in another thread and suggested spray lube (WD40?) on the bolts you can see that mount the tire carrier. I tried that as well, wasn't successful. Put some more on (found more bolts) and we'll see if sitting overnight helps.

I find it's nearly impossible to replicate without driving the car. I've shaken the spare hard enough to shake the whole truck and I can't seem to hear the noise, with one exception where I thought it was coming from the hinges on the passenger side, but more where they are attached to the tailgate than the hinges themselves. I'm definitely not loosening that myself, but I wonder if it's related.

My next diagnostic was going to be to actually remove and remount the tire carrier itself, in the hopes that resetting whatever pre-tension it's under from assembly could do something. Don't know if anyone has tried that yet.
Donā€™t think that will fix it it. Iā€™m nearly sure itā€™s a rivet that is flexing or stressing the metal which is causing the tick over any uneven surface. My dealer has removed lubed and tightened every bolt and elements relating to the spare, parking light, rubber bumpers etc. The sound is in the cavity of the gate, closer to the hinges but inside. I suppose it could be related to hinges where they are welded to the inside. aside from driving, you can replicate it on mine when opening and closing the gate, when itā€™s almost fully opening or closing. tick tick tick.

they couldnā€™t replicate on another 4 door they had which is good. Meaning itā€™s not every single one and they are working on a solution.

Sponsored

JayhawkJake

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Donā€™t think that will fix it it. Iā€™m nearly sure itā€™s a rivet that is flexing or stressing the metal which is causing the tick over any uneven surface. My dealer has removed lubed and tightened every bolt and elements relating to the spare, parking light, rubber bumpers etc. The sound is in the cavity of the gate, closer to the hinges but inside. I suppose it could be related to hinges where they are welded to the inside. aside from driving, you can replicate it on mine when opening and closing the gate, when itā€™s almost fully opening or closing. tick tick tick.

they couldnā€™t replicate on another 4 door they had which is good. Meaning itā€™s not every single one and they are working on a solution.
Dang. WD40 definitely didnā€™t fix it, a bit discouraging that adjusting the carrier sounds like a non-starter

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Either of you guys take the spare off and go for a ride?! See what's up with the sound? I did. It (the annoying sound) was gone... So I worked on my spare tire bumpers that I had extended due to my zero offset wheels. Shortened them just a bit to take some pressure off the tailgate and try to even it out the load. My sound has pretty much been gone ever since them... Couple months ago. Had a bunch of top/ rear seat squeaks as well. But some deep creep and Teflon reel lube looked after those.

JayhawkJake

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Scion FR-S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Either of you guys take the spare off and go for a ride?! See what's up with the sound? I did. It (the annoying sound) was gone... So I worked on my spare tire bumpers that I had extended due to my zero offset wheels. Shortened them just a bit to take some pressure off the tailgate and try to even it out the load. My sound has pretty much been gone ever since them... Couple months ago. Had a bunch of top/ rear seat squeaks as well. But some deep creep and Teflon reel lube looked after those.
Did it make the noise when the tire wasnā€™t contacting the bumpers? Iā€™d have to remove them or cut them to shorten them, not sure I want to do that if theyā€™re actually providing meaningful support to the tire.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did it make the noise when the tire wasnā€™t contacting the bumpers? Iā€™d have to remove them or cut them to shorten them, not sure I want to do that if theyā€™re actually providing meaningful support to the tire.
Like my post said. When the spare tire wasn't on the tailgate the sound wasn't there. I only shortened mine a bit because I extended them myself due to zero offset wheels. Figured that they were now to long and putting TO much pressure on the aluminium tailgate. So for the stock spare and the supports... Maybe they are to weak and need a bit more support. They are pretty flimsy out near where they meet the tire Find some 1"diameter acrylic rod and cut some experimental spacers. Put them in the opening, maybe have the spacer sticking out 1/4" further to have more support and a bit more contact with the tire and see how that goes.
Sponsored