Sponsored

FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just checked my freshly delivered Badlands 2.7L and it’s got a 8/1 engine. About to roll it down from NC to FL for the weekend. Wish me luck.
Welp, I put 1100 miles on it this weekend and it’s churning along just fine :)
Sponsored

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok bud. I understand the warranty and all. Put yourself in my shoes. Do I really want a bronco that had an engine swap at 1000mi? Not ideal. Further, I have no idea how long getting it back is going to be? Suppose I am sitting here in the same spot in 2, 3 or 4 months.

I don't need you to tell me what the warranty does and blah blah blah. I'm frustrated. Seems fair right?
If the time you don't have the vehicle goes for 2+ months I think it would be fair for Ford to extend the basic warranty by that amount of time. Otherwise you're not getting a 36 month warranty since you were not able to use the vehicle. I would also see if they will sell you an extended warranty for their cost. That would be a pretty good deal and should alleviate any long term concerns.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not necessarily, the valves may have come in as a batch in April, but the motors built with those valves is probably far more extensive than Ford is letting be known. That's why I was hoping to get the serial number of this engine.

@flip Can you give us a the earliest Engine Serial Number and latest Engine Serial Number that you know have failed???

The earliest engine serial number that I personally know is not the earliest failed. The earliest failed Bronco 2.7 was a Badlands with a 24 Jun 2021 blend date (suggesting a motor built between May and June more than likely). The latest is now a 6 Sep 2021 blend date, so absent a range of engine serial numbers and engine build dates any Bronco 2.7 with a build date of 24 Jun - 6 Sep 2021 with 2.7 liter engines built between 9 Jun - 28 Jul 2021 - Are potentially impacted.

I don't expect @Ford Motor Company, to actually COMMUNICATE with us and tell us some factual information, but rather I expect @Ford Motor Company, to allow us to figure this out the hard way. Is it really that difficult to do the right thing and COMMUNICATE with your customers @Ford Motor Company?
They didn't on the Fusions with a bad batch of cyl heads right at the beginning (in 2016/2017). "we" all figured it out, and I made sure I bought at least a 4-5 month build date after the surmised range of bad heads.

That said, I beat the snot out of this 2.7, tuned on 93, for almost 50K miles now, with zero issues.

BadK22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco '92 Jeep YJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I get it, I had the same issue with My Yukon. Blown motor in the first 2000 miles. I wish manufacturers did buy backs for that sort of thing, but it's unfortunately just not how that works.
So everyone saying this isn't how this works, do you know this because you work for Ford or are you guessing? I work for an OEM and for issues with new vehicles, much more minor than this, our field service reps will fly out to check the vehicle themselves. In many cases buying it back on the spot if it's a known defect. In these cases, they allowed the customers to pick a new vehicle of their choice, even if its more expensive. This happens more often than you would think. Ford has clearly lost their way and I'm quickly questioning whether or not any of this is truly worth it. This entire experience and the way they are handling major issues like this proves customer satisfaction is very low on their priority list.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can't beat a straight six in an SUV....my 4.2 in my CJ modified with MPI is bullet proof.
Had the 4.2 in a cj,had the 300 six in a 93 f150 6 speed both of those were honestly unkillable..

Sponsored

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You're lucky you got a rental. Most the other people with failures got shafted on that even. Get your engine build date if possible so we can compare it to the others as a data point.

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label, located on the rear of the vacuum pump and on the LH valve cover, contains the following:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

ItemDescription
1Engine plant
2Drive type
3Vehicle line
4Engine displacement
5Engine part number
6Engine build date YYDDD (DDD=Julian Date [001-365])
FWIW, this label is on the bottom of the oil fill tube, which is mounted on the LH valve cover on my 9/13 build date OBX. July 26 engine build. Too close for comfort, but is is what it is... or will be. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco FINAL UPDATE: Complete Engine Failure - SAS Big Bend - 3wk Old / 1000mi / 2.7L EcoBoost 20211102_132207

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW, this label is on the bottom of the oil fill tube, which is mounted on the LH valve cover on my 9/13 build date OBX. July 26 engine build. Too close for comfort, but is is what it is... or will be. 🤷‍♂️

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
That's way further out... 21207 is July 26th, but the sequence number is 1311010 vs 120249, now I don't know the rhyme or reason on the sequence numbers yet... but mine was 181 units away from a failed engine.
As far as I know the failed engines were 6007-AA models, but apparently 6006-A is also a thing (for 2.7 Bronco motors).

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's way further out... 21207 is July 26th, but the sequence number is 1311010 vs 120249, now I don't know the rhyme or reason on the sequence numbers yet... but mine was 181 units away from a failed engine.
As far as I know the failed engines were 6007-AA models, but apparently 6006-A is also a thing (for 2.7 Bronco motors).

Yes, July 26, as I noted in my post. Not sure how much the sequence number matters, but an engine build date 2 days prior to OP's, and the same model # make it too close for comfort. But we'll see...

Edit: For the record, OP's engine build date was July 28, which is not way further out, it's 2 days after mine.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...wk-old-1000mi-2-7l-ecoboost.26787/post-925084

Last edited:

Griggul8r

Big Bend
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta Tacoma GMC Acadia Hyundai Sonata Kia Spectra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
:(

Sponsored
OP
OP
estone28

estone28

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
78 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bump for update. Bottom of original post on page 1.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@estone28 Sorry, can't resist. I do hope that you get back in the saddle soon. Keep us posted on the progress.

Still, BTHO AU - Gig 'em Aggies! Whoop! results: A&M20 AU3

Last edited:

redstarn

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry to even reply to what has happened to you .
Will the give the same engine number that is associated with your frame vehicle stamp build or does it matter . With so many people claiming matching numbers , does this matter .
Thankyou

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why in the world do you think they should buyback and give you a new one? The warranty clearly states they will fix it if anything happens. period. Unless it spends a certain length of time in the shop before they repair it to qualify for lemon law they are doing exactly as they should.

Level of service the situation demands? Again sounds like they are doing exactly what they should.
and again, you sound like a FORD mignon!
Sponsored