Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.
Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.
So I'm good to pour in another quart? Thanks for finally bringing it to the attention of someone who can get an answer.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you for this. I have been saying that the guys who have been losing their minds over this and using 6 quarts instead of 7 will have a rude awakening a year from now when they start having engine issues.

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the gist is that 7 is right and ignore the dip stick? Seems like a pretty critical error I would expect Ford to address ASAP, considering the implications of the error and how many people do their own oil changes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'm good to pour in another quart? Thanks for finally bringing it to the attention of someone who can get an answer.
Yes. I hate going to the well and using my FSE or tech hotline if we can find an answer with the resources we have available. In this case, all of that was exhausted.

With the size of the forum, I'm surprised more Ford engineering people aren't here lurking. For my inquiry to be the first they've heard is no bueno. Seems like this forum is an absolute wealth of product feedback data and early issue warning system. Meh.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. I hate going to the well and using my FSE or tech hotline if we can find an answer with the resources we have available. In this case, all of that was exhausted.

With the size of the forum, I'm surprised more Ford engineering people aren't here lurking. For my inquiry to be the first they've heard is no bueno. Seems like this forum is an absolute wealth of product feedback data and early issue warning system. Meh.
I am at a Ford dealership right now. The parts guy was kind enough to print out the diagrams for both the Bronco and the F150 driver side valve cover (in which the dipstick resides). Part numbers are the SAME for both (JT4ZA6582A). Dipstick numbers, however, are supposed to be different. Bronco is MB3Z6750B, F150 is L1MZ6750A. I have no idea why they would be different if valve covers are the same, because ultimately either stick should be measuring the distance from the top of the oil to the top of the dipstick retainer tube...and on both engines that should be the same distance, regardless of pan capacity. Is anyone in parts or who has a 2021 Ford F150 able to measure a stick?

Last edited:
OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Top is bronco oil pan, bottom F150. There are differences just looking at the pic but nothing to say differences in depth. F150 refill capacity is 6.0 so one could assume an extra quart would put it over in about the same place as the broncos. I don't have one (F150) in stock to compare and not sure if we even have a truck here that does.

My bet is the stick in the bronco is 1/2" too long and engineering just used the F150 length because of similar parts. They didn't take into account the bronco gets an extra quart.

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 1637610352976

Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 1637610420477

broncoky

Outer Banks
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR CB OBX SAS & 2000 Lexus LS400
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you posting this, I've been at the my local dealership dealing with this the entire afternoon. I left with 6 quarts in the truck as that's what the dipstick reads. I was actually thinking it might be some kind of oversight with the dipstick design for the Bronco. This is concerning as many people like myself intend on keeping this truck for a long time. @Ford Motor Company needs to adress this immediatly to prevent engine damage!

Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Flip, thank you.

Question: does Ford make a spec oil for the Bronco? Book says WSSMC2C 961-A1 ?
Ford does not make any oil at all. They spec out what is required and the lowest bidder supplies it with the Ford name on it. Just like Harley Davidson but lots of HD owners pay extra for oil jugs marked with their logo. There are better oils available for this application.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what does the dipstick read with 7 quarts? The Dealership changed mine, they didn't specify on the paperwork how much they put in. My dipstick shows overfull, so assuming they put 7 back in....

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the gist is that 7 is right and ignore the dip stick? Seems like a pretty critical error I would expect Ford to address ASAP, considering the implications of the error and how many people do their own oil changes.
That is why some vehicles do not have a dipstick.

Bottom line, however, id if you only pulled 6 quarts at oil change then you obviously burned a full quart between changes.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what does the dipstick read with 7 quarts? The Dealership changed mine, they didn't specify on the paperwork how much they put in. My dipstick shows overfull, so assuming they put 7 back in....
From the couple I've put my hands and eyes on, about the start of the "twist" or approximately 1/2" over the top mark.

Vtfakie

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr Wildtrak, Lux, Leather, Tow
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From the couple I've put my hands and eyes on, about the start of the "twist" or approximately 1/2" over the top mark.
This is how it read as delivered from the factory or after an oil change with 7qt?
Sponsored