Sponsored

As-yet-unseen Bronco prototype codenamed “Rock Monster”, 2.7 V6 confirmed AND MORE!-TFLCar

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More importantly, I don't plan on doing a lot of drag racing in my Bronco. I don't doubt that the 2.7Eb is a good engine, I just value the qualities of a NA over forced induction, and when I do lay into it I'd rather hear the V8 and not some fake noise piped in through the speakers.
Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Everyone wants a 5.0. Ford, give the people what they want!

Personally, I.m hoping for a 3.3 Ecoboost.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here are Car and Driver's test numbers
How can they be 500 lbs apart, was one 2WD?

More importantly, I don't plan on doing a lot of drag racing in my Bronco. I don't doubt that the 2.7Eb is a good engine, I just value the qualities of a NA over forced induction, and when I do lay into it I'd rather hear the V8 and not some fake noise piped in through the speakers.
I think it is possible that many younger people have never driven a V-8.
I own both the 2.7 and coyote. The 5.0, even stock, just seems to be loafing along,
almost effortless in brisk acceleration. The 2.7 EB seems like you have to be more deliberate.

And once you boost the 5.0, it's probably going to be the fastest thing you have ever driven.
Yes a tuned 2.7 is going to out torque a 5.0 (once in boost), but if I really need more torque than the 5.0,
500+ ft-lbs to the wheels, just off idle, is easily available.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
and actually gets better highway mileage at 75 MPH despite significantly worse EPA highway ratings.
Whats odd is I had thought the EB motors go rich under even moderate boost, and that
is why they got worse mileage. But that doesn't show up in monitoring/datalogging.

My fusion can be under 8 lbs of boost (moderate accel) and still be around stoich according to factory wideband.
I guess it is possible that DI is dumping in localized fuel that does not show up on wideband, but
I'm not sure how Ford (and especially aftermarket tuners) tunes around that........

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't worry, you'll probably get fake noise either way... the Coyote cars have the sound tube that pumps intake air to the cabin for fake noise, and the Voodoo engines have the noise in the speakers. I'm sure the Bronco will have the same regardless of what engine options it gets

That being said, after seeing the real world differences in fuel economy between the 2.7 and 5.0 F150s, I'm almost more inclined to get a Coyote-powered Bronco if they offer it. I already have a Coyote car, and the gas mileage isn't very good at all... that's why I wanted the Ecoboost. I knew the EB engines didn't match the EPA estimates, but I didn't think it was THAT far off

Sponsored

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I hope the engineering and quality can kick the butt of FCA and the Wrangler. Retro styling with solid drive train and chassis, and customizable, that will be a winner! The 2.7 seems to be a solid performer and has worked out well for the F150. I just hope we can pick and choose our options verses a fully loaded truck just to be able to get a good motor.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mine sounded excellent stock with the active exhaust, and even better with an x-pipe, but it still had that damn sound tube. Pulling that out was one of the first "mods" I did on the car LOL

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
IMHO, I feel Ford has the opportunity to not only compete with the wrangler but to really take it up a notch (a couple notches imo) by Ford offering the 5.0 in the Bronco as I haven't seen anything indicating a V8 is being considered by Jeep at this time. Ford shouldn't settle to match the best that Jeep offers, they need to take the lead in this segment by being innovative and be the leader, not the follower!!! Come on Ford, knock it out of the park...waaaaaay out of the park!!! 5.0 manual Rock Monster Bronco for me please!!!

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
IMHO, I feel Ford has the opportunity to not only compete with the wrangler but to really take it up a notch (a couple notches imo) by Ford offering the 5.0 in the Bronco as I haven't seen anything indicating a V8 is being considered by Jeep at this time. Ford shouldn't settle to match the best that Jeep offers, they need to take the lead in this segment by being innovative and be the leader, not the follower!!! Come on Ford, knock it out of the park...waaaaaay out of the park!!! 5.0 manual Rock Monster Bronco for me please!!!
Honestly, this really could make the Bronco the outlier of the segment... AFAIK, Jeep isn't even looking at a V8 as an option in the Wrangler, and the potential upcoming GMC competitor is just considering the Colorado's engine choices. If the Bronco got a V8 option, that could be something that no other manufacturer would be able to say and could have the Bronco coming out of the gates hot and heavy to swoop up the Jeep's sales.

x2 for a 5.0 manual Bronco!

bigdedition

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 1985 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Time will soon tell....

Sponsored

HTX1811

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SXT 4x4
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If they are putting the EB in the best selling truck in the world and it is outselling the 5.0, why does anyone think they will offer a 5.0 in the Bronco? From my outside view looking in, I think it's a pipe dream to think a 5.0 will be offered.

I have a coyote in my 2011 F-150 and love it. But I am not holding my breath on one for the Bronco. I just do see it happening.

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Time will soon tell....
'Soon' seems optimistic.

If they are putting the EB in the best selling truck in the world and it is outselling the 5.0, why does anyone think they will offer a 5.0 in the Bronco?
I have a coyote in my 2011 F-150 and love it. But I am not holding my breath on one for the Bronco. . .
To make more money. It would probably be the most expensive, and easiest to build, engine option. (perhaps the hybrid will be more costly?)

The last numbers I was able to find indicated the 5.0, a $2k option, was outselling the base engine (3.3) in the F150.

If even 1/10 Broncos sold had the Coyote upsell option you're talking something like 10,000 units at around 10% profit (add-on profit is bound to be higher than base) of $200 is another $2M in profit while making customers happy and making the competition look bad.

Nothing but upsides AFAIK. The idea that Ford needs to drum up a "business case" for this seems comical to me. Just a story to explain why the 5.0 will be a big $$ markup on the Bronco.

You can be sure the V8 buyers would be subsidising the hybrid.
Sponsored