Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mostly regular but that in my opinion has nothing to do with the issue
yeah… Ford has been pretty tight lipped about the 2.7 problem. I’m just thinking of the possibility of detonation/pre-ignition due to the lower octane causing the engine timing to be off and the piston to crash into the valve breaking it. Technically Ford designed it to use regular gas as well but you never know….

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
yeah… Ford has been pretty tight lipped about the 2.7 problem. I’m just thinking of the possibility of detonation/pre-ignition due to the lower octane causing the engine timing to be off and the piston to crash into the valve breaking it. Technically Ford designed it to use regular gas as well but you never know….
I imagine they will attempt to remain tight lipped until somebody gets hurt.....or worse.

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
im sure that’s part..interestingly, searching the F150 forums show zero problems with the 2.7 engines and there are way more of these in F150’s presently rolling down the line than Bronco s
The F150's have a different 2.7 than the Bronco.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So my bronco was starting build 9/7 and this afternoon the engine when into complete failure. I have about 4,000 miles on it mostly road but several 4-6 hr off road runs and one oil change. It all of a sudden made noise that sounded like the entire engine was coming apart and then started sputtering and then the engine light came on and a message oil getting low stop engine. Then mass smoke started bellowing from undernight and it dies get it off road and oil was flowing out from multiple areas under the engine. Towed to dealer I am positive a valve or something blow and went through the bottom of the engine and killed it. So guess I am now in one of the failed 2.7 cases. It was working fine until this unexpected thing all of a sudden. I had no issues nor indications of issue before within the 4,000 milesw
If you haven't already, please add your info to the engine tracking thread. Sorry this happened to you! @Ford Motor Company will be along soon to open a trouble ticket for you.

Sponsored

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is final from dealer the engine is “catastrophically destroyed” all fluids blended together and such implosion it blow the oil pan plug out of the pan. So new engine but Ford is covering car rental until fixed. Question how do you tell engine production date from t thing on engine?

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
However very pleased with Fords
response very helpful and responsible I have no issues at all things happen they are taking care of all issues that need to be done

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@Bubbabow Long number at the bottom, after EF06A the 21228 is the year '21' and the day #228, or August 16.

Ford Bronco Bronco (2.7 engine) shut off on highway, left me on the side of the road 20211028_204257

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here is final from dealer the engine is “catastrophically destroyed” all fluids blended together and such implosion it blow the oil pan plug out of the pan. So new engine but Ford is covering car rental until fixed. Question how do you tell engine production date from t thing on engine?
If you can't find it, you could ask @flip to look it up for you, he would need your VIN to do that. That's who I ask (mostly) when I need an engine serial number looked up, but I have other people I can ask if necessary. @flip is a stand-up guy!

OP
OP
69 Mach I

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
However very pleased with Fords
response very helpful and responsible I have no issues at all things happen they are taking care of all issues that need to be done
Ford customer service has been extremely helpful with me. They actually called yesterday....dealership said mine would be ready next week. I'm hoping dealership will tell me exactly what they found when I pick it up. I just hope there aren't any scratches, scuffs, grease spots, or dings and they get the hood aligned correctly.

Sponsored

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks so far they have been great I do like my bronco stuff just happens but they are working hard to correct

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford customer service has been extremely helpful with me. They actually called yesterday....dealership said mine would be ready next week. I'm hoping dealership will tell me exactly what they found when I pick it up. I just hope there aren't any scratches, scuffs, grease spots, or dings and they get the hood aligned correctly.

Seriously, I hope it's perfect, but mine was so caked in dirt, that I don't want to get anyone's expectations up. That said, mine could be much worse... it only seems like the top is leaking a little so far.

TXscooterguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Corvette Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Brand new 2.7 drops valve and blows up, driver/owner has heart attack, wife /hubby misses partner commits suicide, kids have to go to foster care, get hooked on opioids, after all is said and done bronco is covered under warranty.
Holy crap, Batman! I was talking with my neighbor a few days ago and told him how I had just ordered a Bronco with the 2.7 motor. I need to print this post out and give him a copy. Should this cruel fate befall me, I'm going to ask him to be on the lookout for any signs that I may be succumbing to this stressful event. Maybe I should pre-sign consent for a voluntary psych hold.

Ford Bronco Bronco (2.7 engine) shut off on highway, left me on the side of the road bo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have not seen any posts on breaking in a new engine on this thread. I know it is different from "the old days" but can't hurt. From research--(please don't attack me.........I am just writing what I have found):

1. Do NOT take it over 3000 RPM's for first 1k miles
2. Do NOT do short trips 10-20 minutes or less
3. DO NOT Tow anything.
4. Run at different speeds for 1st 500 40/50/60, When possible DO NOT Brake to slow, let engine coast to slow you down.
5. After 500 miles: Run on highway for longer durations abiding by (not over 3k RPM's) Cruise at different speeds for 30 minutes or more at a time.
6.. After 1k, Drive as per your normal tendencies. Car/Engine will learn YOUR driving style.

IMHO. I am very very hesitant to take mine over 3k for first 2k miles......want engine to settle in, but that is me and NOT scientific. All this being said: I have a 2.7 and may be posting real soon about a dropped valve, so fingers crossed!

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to hear Ford is at least taking care of those with blown engines, I sure hope mine holds together, going on a 500 mile trip down South tomorrow.

By the way, not to take this thread off track, but if your vehicle has problems I guess the closest dealer will fix it? What if it takes weeks to get parts? I only have 10 days down South and sure would not want to have to drive back down there in a month to pick up a repaired truck. Would they ship it up here to me? Never had to get towed, so no idea how that works. Glad to hear they at least give you a rental.
Sponsored