Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thats a good point, and Ford addressed your concern in the engine desugn, according to this May 12 article on Bronco Nation, to prevent oil starvation on the trail:

SmartSelect_20211122-231527_Chrome.jpg
Except, the Owners Manual states that the 2.3L (Ranger equivalent ) takes 6.2 qts.
Sponsored

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
and that note is correct if the dipstick markings is correct. If the dipstick markings are NOT correct than you are starving your engine by 1 quart.
No you aren't. Maintain it at the max mark. The engine will operate just fine in the safe operating range. If the safe operating range is a half inch lower than it should be then if you're maintaining the level at the top of the range you should be in the actual safe operating range. It's simple, it's defensible. It won't raise questions if there's an issue.

Oil level at max mark, what can service manager say? You starved it for oil because everyone should know you need 7 qts in there? That would never hold up.

Oil over filled service manager says "you over filled it, damaged engine." But you added 7 qts! "How do you know you got all the old oil out? These engines always hold a half to a quart back when you drain it..." or some other BS.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
evidence has been presented that Ford added 1 extra quart from 6 to 7 for the bronco application.

And I bet the screenshot you posted is standard copy in every Ford product.

regardless, it's your Bronco so at the end of the day do what you want.

No you aren't. Maintain it at the max mark. The engine will operate just fine in the safe operating range. If the safe operating range is a half inch lower than it should be then if you're maintaining the level at the top of the range you should be in the actual safe operating range. It's simple, it's defensible. It won't raise questions if there's an issue.

Oil level at max mark, what can service manager say? You starved it for oil because everyone should know you need 7 qts in there? That would never hold up.

Oil over filled service manager says "you over filled it, damaged engine." But you added 7 qts! "How do you know you got all the old oil out? These engines always hold a half to a quart back when you drain it..." or some other BS.

Last edited:

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So is that 6 quarts in the pain plus one in the filter or is it 7 in the pan. 🤪

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It has different parts numbers just for logistic purposes.

A lot of parts are interchangeable between vehicles (cost reduction and complexity reduction), however, those are released for each vehicle (prefix number) because it easier to control them for MP&L and FCSD.
Partially true, but mostly false. It costs a small fortune to release NEW parts into the Worldwide Engineering Release System, let alone the costs associated wwith sourcing and re-tooling for said parts. If a part or assembly CAN ber carried over/re-used, it would be, trust me.

EDIT: as per the Part Number question, there are instances where new part prefixes are created for an item that may be geometrically identical to another vehicles parts, but this usually only pertains to parts that need increased capacity which require new tooling anyways. A dipstick on an engine probably doesn't fit this.

Sincerely,
an automotive design & release engineer.

Sponsored

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Partially true, but mostly false. It costs a small fortune to release NEW parts into the Worldwide Engineering Release System, let alone the costs associated wwith sourcing and re-tooling for said parts. If a part or assembly CAN ber carried over/re-used, it would be, trust me.

EDIT: as per the Part Number question, there are instances where new part prefixes are created for an item that may be geometrically identical to another vehicles parts, but this usually only pertains to parts that need increased capacity which require new tooling anyways. A dipstick on an engine probably doesn't fit this.

Sincerely,
an automotive design & release engineer.
Thank you for extend the explanation from engineer department point of view.

MP&L stand that its easier to control them that way on CMMS3 and FCSD that a lot of parts are interchangeable.

Sincerely,
an MP&L and MS&S former employee.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was also thinking this. When I had my 2002 Camaro Z28 it made just over 420rwhp and when I'd hit it from a dig and it dead hooked the oil pressure would go down at the top of 1st gear. Never had an issue but to see the oil pressure drop when I was turning a 7500rpm redline it freaked me out. A bunch of LS guys will run an extra 1/4-1/2 qt so the pan doesn't get starved. Once I did that, the issue went away.
C5 doing turns nothing else on the road can do would hit an electronic cut out without a bit extra. O to have a small block Chevy Bronco.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

C5 doing turns nothing else on the road can do would hit an electronic cut out without a bit extra. O to have a small block Chevy Bronco.
i had a heads/cam/ 6speed C5 for 5 years. Made 411rwhp. I used to sling it around a road course and even some back roads :)

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Screw it, I dumped the 7th quart in tonight. Put about 600 miles on it with 6 qts. Now I'll wait for the valves to drop...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Until Ford comes out and says otherwise I would not overfill. Maintain it at the max fill mark. The last thing you want is to drop a valve, get towed to a dealer and have the service manager report that the engine was overfilled, and you admitted you overfilled it because of something "you read on the internet." We all know how ill-informed most of our dealers seem to be on these, they certainly won't understand this without info from Ford.

Maintaining it at the max should keep you at least in the safe operating range.
The entire point of the thread is that all of us with factory-filled 2.7s have dipsticks that are measuring about 1/2 above the max mark. If we overfill it, to that same point on the dipstick by adding 7 quarts after a drain, we'd simply be doing the exact same thing the factory did. As is, the folks in this forum who have had a first oil change at a Ford dealership are coming back and reporting oil levels way over the max line...which is why we hope Ford gives all of us an official statement that tells us to either follow the part in the manual that says 7 quart capacity with oil and filter change OR the part of the manual that says don't overfill beyond the max mark...but as of now, those sections of the manual contradict one another.

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is the May 12 post on Bronco Nation that explains why the oil capacity is greater for the Bronco version of the 2.7 Eco:

SmartSelect_20211122-231527_Chrome.jpg
Regardless of the intent of the 7 quart capacity, the reality is that adding 7 quarts after draining 7 quarts puts the oil level way over the full mark. If Ford's answer to having enough oil in the engine to address extreme angles is simply to overfill our engines, that is not confidence-inspiring. I don't think it is too much to ask of Ford to simply clarify why the dipstick does not reflect an accurate oil level (or, if it does, why the "proper" oil level is so far over the max mark on the dipstick). Oil pans designed for extreme angles typically have baffles and/or a windage tray...or the motors will run a dry sump.

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't get it. Ford calls for 7 quarts and yet everyone is questioning that based on the dip stick. Just use 7 quarts .. if this is wrong than you are covered under warranty. Use 6 quarts and you are NOT covered.
If it were that simple then how do people who simply throw in 7 quarts monitor oil levels between oil changes? They would have to scribe a new reference point on the dipstick...and for folks who do not do their own maintenance, whoever does their oil changes will more than likely add the wrong amount of oil or won't add enough oil if the level doesn't match the proper marks. Much easier for Ford to provide an accurate dipstick.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree with everything you have said BUT I think you will also agree that everyone wants to use the correct amount of oil. Ford has stated that this engine takes 7 quarts. If you use 6 quarts and then depend on the dipstick as verification then you are already 1 quart short.

my point is that everyone depends on the dipstick for truth. What happens if that dipstick mark is wrong?

I had a 2018 M2 that does not have a dipstick. There is a procedure to measure the oil level and the car will do it itself. My advice to everyone here … never get a modern bmw as it would be hard for you to trust the vehicle to do it.

If it were that simple then how do people who simply throw in 7 quarts monitor oil levels between oil changes? They would have to scribe a new reference point on the dipstick...and for folks who do not do their own maintenance, whoever does their oil changes will more than likely add the wrong amount of oil or won't add enough oil if the level doesn't match the proper marks. Much easier for Ford to provide an accurate dipstick.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with everything you have said BUT I think you will also agree that everyone wants to use the correct amount of oil. Ford has stated that this engine takes 7 quarts. If you use 6 quarts and then depend on the dipstick as verification then you are already 1 quart short.

my point is that everyone depends on the dipstick for truth. What happens if that dipstick mark is wrong?

I had a 2018 M2 that does not have a dipstick. There is a procedure to measure the oil level and the car will do it itself. My advice to everyone here … never get a modern bmw as it would be hard for you to trust the vehicle to do it.
Germans are way ahead when it comes to oil level warning systems...if our Broncos had a low (and high) sensor, like a BMW or Mercedez has, I wouldn't stress about a dipstick as much...however, both my Sprinter and my former G series had not only sensors (for those who prefer dash warnings) but also very accurate dipsticks (for those of us who don't trust the fairly inaccurate "ballpark figure" sensors). Point again being that Ford in this particular case is irresponsible for not being able to build a product that has an inaccurate dipstick (or oil capacity indication). How hard can it be to make a car that has a manual/vehicle in which the oil level rec. matches the provided instructions/dipstick? Also...as you pointed out your BMW did not have a dipstick. If our Broncos didn't have a dipstick, this entire topic would be pointless. Because our Broncos do have a dipstick, however, and because they are apparently inaccurate, Ford needs to give us some direction IMHO.

USAGUY

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

. My God some of you really go off on tangents!!

Flip, thanks for the info. I’m still unclear what to do. I just got back from my dealership for my first service. The dip stick is at least 1 inch above max. What action if any do you think I should take.
Sponsored

Last edited: