Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would love to see a poll on this issue.

I for one can't stand solid axle vehicles and have taken many IFS vehicles through places Jeep guys assumed I couldnt go. I also drove home after the trail with one finger on the wheel not hopping around in my Lane every time I hit a bump.
Not only that, I never worried about death wobble.
For the advantage solid axle brings to the table "on" the trail, there are also many advantages IFS brings to getting to and from the trail.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I for one can't stand solid axle vehicles and have taken many IFS vehicles through places Jeep guys assumed I couldnt go. I also drove home after the trail with one finger on the wheel not hopping around in my Lane every time I hit a bump.
For the advantage solid axle brings to the table "on" the trail, there are also many advantages IFS brings to getting to and from the trail.
I drive a solid axle truck daily and never worry about death wobble, even at and over 130mph in a lifted truck. There are most certainly benefits to a solid axle on trails and rocks, and certain types of mud. And benefits for IFS for high speed running, certain trails and certain types of mud.

The use cases for IFS vs solid vary slightly, solids are cheaper, stronger, and provide more articulation and when you are only articulating one side they can provide better traction on the low wheel than IFS can. IFS has less unspring weight and can cycle faster. You can articulate one wheel without affecting the camber on the opposite. Provides better ground clearance. Better road manners as well.

To each his own, somehow having the option of either/or from Ford would be amazing, but I doubt that, and I doubt we are getting a solid axle even though that is what I would prefer myself.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is just me but if there is a prototype called “Rock Monster” and it lives up to the name.... no chance it has an IFS.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm hoping that the base and any high-performance versions of the Bronco have IFS for good handling and performance on road and in high speed off roading. I'm also hoping to see the coil spring watts link rear axle from the Ranger raptor for better control there, not leafs.

Ideally there will also be a SFA special option package / trim level (Rock Monster?) for those who want a hard core rock crawler to go up against the wrangler rubicon.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not going to be solid axle or 5.0.

Hopefully there is some cheap wrecked one's in the yards in 5 or 6 years.
Likely I would start out with pre-74 frame (no cats) and do a body swap.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are either trying really hard to bait people , or have never driven a solid front axle vehicle that wasn't in a complete state of disrepair. So what's this IFS rig you are running that hangs with Jeeps, rides like a Caddy, and stings like a Bimmer?

Oh sorry I didnt know this forum was only here for your opinions and insults.
For one I won't judge.. and for two, don't judge me. You don't know my life experiences and quite honestly I got better things to do that to lay them all out for ya. Since your probably only on your 4th or 5th 4 wheeler project by now and think you know it all I'll cut ya some slack and give you a pass though..

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I for one can't stand solid axle vehicles and have taken many IFS vehicles through places Jeep guys assumed I couldnt go.
I've taken a 2wd Datsun pickup through places Jeep guys assumed I couldn't go. That does nothing to prove IFS is as capable SA in any given situation.

I also drove home after the trail with one finger on the wheel not hopping around in my Lane every time I hit a bump.
I don't know that I've ever driven with one finger on the wheel, but I can't say I've ever considered driving any of my SFA-equipped trucks any undue or unpleasant effort. Then again, none of the SFA vehicles I've owned have exhibited the type of behavior you describe.

Me neither. Ever.

I can agree with this last statement. It all comes down to where you want or need the capability, where it is crucial to you. If you buy a 4x4 to enjoy the paved road experience between trailheads, there are lots of choices. If you buy a 4x4 for maximum capability in the rough, SFA might be a key component. It is all individual preference based on application, one or the other is not inherently "worse" or "better" than the other. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

OP
OP

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've taken a 2wd Datsun pickup through places Jeep guys assumed I couldn't go. That does nothing to prove IFS is as capable SA in any given situation
I would never consider IFS to be "AS" capable either. That's not how I meant for my post to read.
To me its not a deal killer like it is for most whether it's ifs or solid axle, I just know I'm buying one unless of course they're going to ask stupid money for it at the dealer.
If they do that I'll just wait another year.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I would never consider IFS to be "AS" capable either. That's not how I meant for my post to read.
To me its not a deal killer like it is for most whether it's ifs or solid axle, I just know I'm buying one unless of course they're going to ask stupid money for it at the dealer. If they do that I'll just wait another year.
It's going to be marked up, for at least 6 months my guess.
And it's going to have some problems. It might have one that
is significant (like early 2.7 cyl heads) and requires a tech, who
may or may not be all that great, to completely tear apart your
knew baby that you paid sticker or more for.

No way I buy a first year of any new vehicle. Even a heavy redesign
i would avoid.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's going to be marked up, for at least 6 months my guess.
And it's going to have some problems. It might have one that
is significant (like early 2.7 cyl heads) and requires a tech, who
may or may not be all that great, to completely tear apart your
knew baby that you paid sticker or more for.

No way I buy a first year of any new vehicle. Even a heavy redesign
i would avoid.
To be fair, if the powertrain is an existing/proven one, there shouldn't be major issues in that department. If it's a new powertrain, yeah - wait and see. A new manual transmission would be a small risk. They've been building them for a long time, but I guess anything can happen. Body/frame/suspension... there will no doubt be "adjustments" in subsequent versions.

First MY is always a bit of a gamble, but I've had a few and not been disappointed.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To be fair, if the powertrain is an existing/proven one, there shouldn't be major issues in that department. If it's a new powertrain, yeah - wait and see. A new manual transmission would be a small risk. They've been building them for a long time, but I guess anything can happen. Body/frame/suspension... there will no doubt be "adjustments" in subsequent versions.

First MY is always a bit of a gamble, but I've had a few and not been disappointed.
If it is the same powertrain as ranger, they have bigger problems. If it's not, it will be plenty
"new" enough to have many potential issues. Just "beefing" it all up, which I hope would
happen thorughout drivetrain, means 100's of possible engineering changes....

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think if it's something from the F-150's offerings, it should be plenty stout enough for the Bronco without a lot of redesign.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think if it's something from the F-150's offerings, it should be plenty stout enough for the Bronco without a lot of redesign.
Yeah...like the 5.0L Coyote!

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The H.O. offered in the Raptor is more to my liking.
Sponsored