redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm sure the other mfg's have their reasons for doing it the way they did. But ICON is first and foremost a suspension company, not a "lift kit" company, so I'm confident our designers have their reasons for doing it this way. I will admit that I'm not as well versed in that specific question as I should be so I'll have a chat with those guys after the holiday and let you know what I find out.

But I can tell you what I know just as a lifelong off-roader who has been modifying and wheeling 4X4's for decades. The suspension geometry is the same regardless of where the "lift" is. coming from, if you haven't changed any of the suspension pivot points. CV angles don't care how the shocks are mounted...3" of lift affects that angle the same regardless, if you haven't moved any pivot points. The only way to get a certain amount of lift without affecting the CV angle the same is to use a portal. Same thing with steering. Unless you've moved the steering pivot points, the amount of lift affects it the same regardless of how that lift was achieved.

I will say that our kit uses a top spacer and a pre-load spacer on each strut, not a single spacer. The top spacer goes on top of the strut, below the strut mount. The pre-load spacer goes between the top of the spring and the underside of the top of the strut. So the amount of lift isn't entirely on top of the strut. I'll find out whether there is any performance benefit to this when I chat with the engineers next week. But I do know that it allowed us to make one part number that fits on all Bronco trims (some simply don't use the preload spacer at one end).

Thanks for the honest response and I have done this kind of stuff for a long time as well. I'm 53 now and have worked in an auto accessory store (4X4 and performance parts) for the last 20 years and have drag raced Fox body Mustangs since they have been around.

First I will say ......technically you can say it is not all on top but from what you described above you are basically just sandwiching the upper mount with a spacer on each side so it is mostly on the top of the coilover. But I guess I am splitting hairs here. 😁

I will say this though. You say it does not change geometry as you lift, but it does. Even in a SFA setup as you lift the vehicle you will need to increase the track bar length (or a drop bracket) and drag link (drop pitman arm) to maintain correct steering geometry and to keep the axle centered under the vehicle. Even in a lowered Fox body you will encounter bump steer which many companies out there have a bump steer correction kit which keeps the tie rod from being at a weird angle as to induce bump steer.

Not trying to knock you, I sell your stuff when I can just curious the thinking behind your lift as it is bit different than others and I am curious why.

Will look forward to what the engineers have to say. (y)
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the honest response and I have done this kind of stuff for a long time as well. I'm 53 now and have worked in an auto accessory store (4X4 and performance parts) for the last 20 years and have drag raced Fox body Mustangs since they have been around.

First I will say ......technically you can say it is not all on top but from what you described above you are basically just sandwiching the upper mount with a spacer on each side so it is mostly on the top of the coilover. But I guess I am splitting hairs here. 😁

I will say this though. You say it does not change geometry as you lift, but it does. Even in a SFA setup as you lift the vehicle you will need to increase the track bar length (or a drop bracket) and drag link (drop pitman arm) to maintain correct steering geometry and to keep the axle centered under the vehicle. Even in a lowered Fox body you will encounter bump steer which many companies out there have a bump steer correction kit which keeps the tie rod from being at a weird angle as to induce bump steer.

Not trying to knock you, I sell your stuff when I can just curious the thinking behind your lift as it is bit different than others and I am curious why.

Will look forward to what the engineers have to say. (y)
I'm 99% certain you misunderstood his reply.

He agrees that the geometry changes when lifted.
The geometry changes the same amount if the lift is all at the top or all at the bottom or some split of the two.
He references the CV, which does not care where the lift comes from (top, bottom, split), only that it is there.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm 99% certain you misunderstood his reply.

He agrees that the geometry changes when lifted.
The geometry changes the same amount if the lift is all at the top or all at the bottom or some split of the two.
He references the CV, which does not care where the lift comes from (top, bottom, split), only that it is there.

I'm sure I did. Sometimes I re-read too much.

Maybe he did not understand me either I used the spacer at the top term versus top, middle (spring perch) or bottom (LCA under shock). And even in his response, which I have re-read more than once, he said one spacer on top of upper mount and the other spacer is under the upper mount on top of the spring but last time I checked the would be the same as being "all" on top. But I guess that is just me. 😁 I mean we are only talking about the mount in between which might be an inch. Versus a perch spacer which is at the bottom of the spring or as I said earlier, the middle.

Either way we will see when he weighs back in here next week. 😁

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure I did. Sometimes I re-read too much.

Maybe he did not understand me either I used the spacer at the top term versus top, middle (spring perch) or bottom (LCA under shock). And even in his response, which I have re-read more than once, he said one spacer on top of upper mount and the other spacer is under the upper mount on top of the spring but last time I checked the would be the same as being "all" on top. But I guess that is just me. 😁 I mean we are only talking about the mount in between which might be an inch. Versus a perch spacer which is at the bottom of the spring or as I said earlier, the middle.

Either way we will see when he weighs back in here next week. 😁
LOL, I caught that too.

There's top of the top and a bottom of the top ... which is all on top ...

Then, it sounds like there may be a middle ground and then the bottom, but I'm not sure the bottom has a top also , or just a bottom.

I think I got it now! LOL

Spiff89

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So it shouldn’t need improved control arms for this kit with 37’s?

Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It has been noted in the other spacer lifts, that split it up, say it is to maintain cv angles and suspension geometry. Yours seem to buck that statement and I am curious why. I guess where I am going with this is if spacer is all at the top and all though the tires may not rub, or the suspension does not bind, does it put undo stress on another areas ??? Maybe in the area of the steering geometry :unsure: Or maybe bind a cv at full droop with the wheel turned all the way in one direction.
The lower (LCA) spacers are used for 1" leveling kits because the coilover bolts are too short to put the entire spacer on top. Not needed when using taller pucks that are bolted to the coilover.

For the spring preload spacer (ride height), it doesn't matter if the spring spacer is at the bottom (Zone, RPG) or top (Icon, RC). However, when located at the top it can potentially include a bump stop so that a separate bump stop spacer is not needed.

I am not certain, but it looks like the Icon preload spacer includes an extended bump stop. This will protect the spring and increase tire clearance, but decrease wheel travel.
Ford Bronco ICON 3" Level Lift Spacer Kit 1637828389878

Also, the Zone front strut spacers are angled, but it appears that the Icon spacers are flat. This may be a geometry difference for the higher Zone lift and longer UCAs.

Deleted member 12876

We did install it briefly on our Sasquatch with 37's to test. I don't know whether they got any photos, as I wasn't here when they did it. I'll find out next week when everyone's back in.
Oh if they took the 37‘s off the Sasquatch the test probably didn’t go as planned. I don’t know I’m just saying

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted 35’s on my Bronco so I bought a Sasquatch. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I see no need for all the gimmicks when the engineers at Ford already figured this one out.

There is absolutely no argument that Squatch is a really good bargain ... at $5k.

On my manual Base, it would have cost me over $7800 and I would have lost the manual I wanted.
Now, I can do it myself under$4k, keep my manual and have MUCH $$$ left over for heated seats and whatever else I may want.

I considered a Badlands at $50k, but just can't get past the value of the Base. It has all I need ... except heated seats .... which also would have cost $8k minimum ... and lost my manual. LOL

Sponsored

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We did install it briefly on our Sasquatch with 37's to test. I don't know whether they got any photos, as I wasn't here when they did it. I'll find out next week when everyone's back in.
How much is the total lift on the Sasquatch 1.2 factory plus what?
3” total? 4.2? Im confused

so it lifts stock Broncos 3” in front
2 something in back? For level purposes.

Last edited:

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How much is the total lift on the Sasquatch 1.2 factory plus what?
3” total? 4.2? Im confused

so it lifts stock Broncos 3” in front
2 something in back? For level purposes.
I think I answered my own question:
“yields” =‘Total combined ?
If thats the case…perfect!
A better looking Gap for 35” and 0 offset aftermarket wheels!

(I personally think the 35” looks stuffed on Sas.)

Icons site:
“A combination of coil spring preload spacers and top load shims to yield 3” of lift in the front and 2” of rear lift for Sasquatch equipped models”

This combo has been on my Toyota Sequoia since 2008 Rev-Tek lift. Stock struts, no issues ever.
So I not worried
Ford Bronco ICON 3" Level Lift Spacer Kit A85CEA18-9DB4-405F-9404-40552FCA487C
Ford Bronco ICON 3" Level Lift Spacer Kit CD07429A-712C-4EAC-BE59-8416965EF703

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)