The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just curious what people think about both the 2.3 and the 2.7 since the Broncos release out into the wild.

I have no first hand experience with driving either engine in the Bronco but I did own the 2.3 in my Ecoboost Mustang. In short it was great in the Mustang.

So I ask this for a couple of reasons. It's seems in a lot of You tube reviews both the 2.3 and the 2.7 get similar 0 to 60 times when testing acceleration. Of course the 2.7 is a little faster but not by much. The reason being even though the 2.7 is more powerful it also weights more which negates the power advantage and makes the front end heavier. So it makes sense.

Another reason I ask is because for some still waiting for their Broncos order to be filled it seems the 2.7 is a major constraint and is the hold up. Switch to the 2.3 and boom your order will be filled faster and your Bronco will get built.

The biggest and most important reason I ask this is because of the recent issues with the 2.7s dieing. I don't know if this is because of the pandemic and Ford had to switch to a different 3rd party supplier for critical parts or what but it seems it's definitely a thing. Plenty of people on this very forum had their 2.7 engines fail. Reliability is pretty dam important when it comes to your engine.

I should note that my Bronco reservation and order is for the 2.7 as of now so I'm not cheerleadering the 2.3 or biased.

So with all this in mind is the 2.3 shaping up to be the better choice for the Bronco?
Sponsored

bigblueboing

Black Diamond
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just curious what people think about both the 2.3 and the 2.7 since the Broncos release out into the wild.

I have no first hand experience with driving either engine in the Bronco but I did own the 2.3 in my Ecoboost Mustang. In short it was great in the Mustang.

So I ask this for a couple of reasons. It's seems in a lot of You tube reviews both the 2.3 and the 2.7 get similar 0 to 60 times when testing acceleration. Of course the 2.7 is a little faster but not by much. The reason being even though the 2.7 is more powerful it also weights more which negates the power advantage and makes the front end heavier. So it makes sense.

Another reason I ask is because for some still waiting for their Broncos order to be filled it seems the 2.7 is a major constraint and is the hold up. Switch to the 2.3 and boom your order will be filled faster and your Bronco will get built.

The biggest and most important reason I ask this is because of the recent issues with the 2.7s dieing. I don't know if this is because of the pandemic and Ford had to switch to a different 3rd party supplier for critical parts or what but it seems it's definitely a thing. Plenty of people on this very forum had their 2.7 engines fail. Reliability is pretty dam important when it comes to your engine.

I should note that my Bronco reservation and order is for the 2.7 as of now so I'm not cheerleadering the 2.3 or biased.

So with all this in mind is the 2.3 shaping up to be the better choice for the Bronco?
Considering that you can only get a manual with the 2.3 butt feel would go to 2.3 hands down. Prob not the right way to put that but oh well.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
After 4500 miles with the 2.7, I can say that it has been great. No issues, just good performance. I've also got Squatch 35s to push around. I did drive the 2.3 w/Squatch and my opinion was it is more than adequate.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
After 4500 miles with the 2.7, I can say that it has been great. No issues, just good performance. I've also got Squatch 35s to push around. I did drive the 2.3 w/Squatch and my opinion was it is more than adequate.
How did it accelerate compared to your 2.7?

Sponsored

miami2823

Base
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
To be hon

"Plenty" is probably a bit of a stretch. Personally, only seen one post where the engine died. This is, of course, anecdotal. Like a comment above, anecdotal evidence shouldn't be extrapolated into viable data.

To your second point: if I'm gonna wait as long as I am, I'm gonna get the Bronco how I want (I plan to drive mine between 10-15 years, the full life of the vehicle). I'm damn sure gonna not waver on the engine choice :p

Also, is "better" quantifiable in anyway? Different people hold different metrics for what constitutes something to be "better".

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered the largest displacement engine Ford was willing to pair with the Manual Transmission.

Both engines are several years old, the 2.3 has been used in the Mustang for years, and the 2.7 is the main engine used in F-150s.

I'm also reasonably certain that the only real constraint right now is the MIC top.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
To be hon

"Plenty" is probably a bit of a stretch. Personally, only seen one post where the engine died. This is, of course, anecdotal. Like a comment above, anecdotal evidence shouldn't be extrapolated into viable data.

To your second point: if I'm gonna wait as long as I am, I'm gonna get the Bronco how I want (I plan to drive mine between 10-15 years, the full life of the vehicle). I'm damn sure gonna not waver on the engine choice :p

Also, is "better" quantifiable in anyway? Different people hold different metrics for what constitutes something to be "better".
I understand all this but my points are valid. Also I haven't heard about any issues with the 2.3. Zero. So even if it's only 10 people or so on this forum that have had 2.7 issues that's definitely 10 to many. That should not be happening to a brand new engine. And I'm willing to bet there's more 2.3s that got released then 2.7s so far.

I do agree with you if your going to put out this kind of money definitely get it built exactly how you want it. No doubt. I feel the same way. But if there really is something going wrong with the 2.7s is it really what you want in the end? I'm only thinking out loud. Because I too have the 2.7 on order.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered the largest displacement engine Ford was willing to pair with the Manual Transmission.

Both engines are several years old, the 2.3 has been used in the Mustang for years, and the 2.7 is the main engine used in F-150s.

I'm also reasonably certain that the only real constraint right now is the MIC top.
Nope the 2.7 is definitely now a constraint. Mike just confirmed this on Twitter yesterday and recommended the 2.3 to speed things up! Sorry to bare the bad news but that's reality.

Screenshot_20211125-184441_Twitter.jpg

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nope the 2.7 is definitely now a constraint. Mike just confirmed this on Twitter yesterday and recommended the 2.3 to speed things up! Sorry to bare the bad news but that's reality.
I actually suspect the Ford knows they have a QC issue at the Lima plant with bad valve keepers, and so is slow running the line while they track it down.

Otherwise, there is no reason for it to be constrained, not with a quarter million F-150s parked and waiting for ECMs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I actually suspect the Ford knows they have a QC issue at the Lima plant with bad valve keepers, and so is slow running the line while they track it down.

Otherwise, there is no reason for it to be constrained, not with a quarter million F-150s parked and waiting for ECMs.
Yep. My thoughts exactly. As soon as I saw that he said it was a constraint the first thing that popped in my head was that the 2.7 engine issues are real.

I think people are comparing this 2.7 with the years of quality it has had in the Ford f 150. You really can't. It's a slightly different configuration and what ever issues they are having now is no doubt because of the pandemic and a 3rd party supplier. This is a new development. It's definitely worrisome. At least least me it is anyway.

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I understand all this but my points are valid. Also I haven't heard about any issues with the 2.3. Zero. So even if it's only 10 people or so on this forum that have had 2.7 issues that's definitely 10 to many. That should not be happening to a brand new engine. And I'm willing to bet there's more 2.3s that got released then 2.7s so far.

I do agree with you if your going to put out this kind of money definitely get it built exactly how you want it. No doubt. I feel the same way. But if there really is something going wrong with the 2.7s is it really what you want in the end? I'm only thinking out loud. Because I too have the 2.7 on order.

Yes and no. I agree with you that if someone is buying a new car, an engine failure is unacceptable. But keep in mind that you’ve read about maybe 10 reports out of the thousands of engines on the roads now. And why should we assume that every bronco owner with a 2.3 and major problems would instantly report in on this forum? It’s just not enough data to draw such sweeping conclusions….not nearly enough yet.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The benefit of the 2.7 is the torque. HP is only 30 or so more then the 2.3 but the 2.7 provides way better torque. If you research you will see even the original 2.7 motors in the F-150, experienced valve guide issues. Not catastrophic failure across the board, but a small percentage had the issue. I currently have a 2.7 as part of my order.

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
All I can say is 2.3 auto, sasquatch has no shortage of oomph in my book. I have been taking it pretty easy on the throttle for break in, and it gets around just fine. It's not a sports car, but it is quicker than my last several vehicles, so there's that.

OP
OP
The Driving Viking

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The benefit of the 2.7 is the torque. HP is only 30 or so more then the 2.3 but the 2.7 provides way better torque. If you research you will see even the original 2.7 motors in the F-150, experienced valve guide issues. Not catastrophic failure across the board, but a small percentage had the issue. I currently have a 2.7 as part of my order.
I know it has more torque. But if it weights a lot more then the 2.3 and the real world performance is similar does it matter that it has more torque on paper?
Sponsored