Sponsored

2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please!

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious as I haven't had time to look through his post on social media. Has anyone asked Levine if Ford is aware of the 2.7 motors going and if there is a plan of action?
Sponsored

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey @flip, have you heard any new info on the 2.7s blowing up?

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
FORD probably switched to a different supplier for certain engine parts to get production rolling and the new 3rd party supplier
Let's hope Webasto isn't in the engine parts manufacturing business......🙄. Hopefully they get it figured out soon. I had a completely trouble free 2.7 F-150. Absolutely loved that engine.

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's hope Webasto isn't in the engine parts manufacturing business......🙄. Hopefully they get it figured out soon. I had a completely trouble free 2.7 F-150. Absolutely loved that engine.
Has anyone been able to verify that this truly is the same engine or is it a slightly different variant I wonder, or just truly some bad batches of parts?

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone been able to verify that this truly is the same engine or is it a slightly different variant I wonder, or just truly some bad batches of parts?
Should be exactly the same engine. The problem is most likely the parts because of the pandemic. Regardless it's not good. Ford better nip this in the but.

Sponsored

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah I guess an interesting comparison of the 5.0 in the Mustang and F-150 also so sounds like at least certain components most likely are different
Ya, but I don't know why the part numbers are different, we are missing the data needed to make any kind of inferences. The people who know (pictured below) aren't talking.

Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! Ford Minio

If they would just share some knowledge... as if we are not going to eventually find out.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey @flip, have you heard any new info on the 2.7s blowing up?
Nada. Asked FSE Friday and he said he hasen’t been involved or heard anything going on in our zone. I’ve yet to hear any credible failure analysis on the dealer message boards either. My guess a lot of these are getting replaced under the low time in service (LTIS) program which doesn’t require a full teardown to the point of failure. Catastrophic failures are usually very difficult for us to find a root cause for. We also lack special tooling and metallurgical equipment. Big factor is Ford only pays us a very minimal amount for teardown analysis so at some point we just have to make an educated guess.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon Denali, GMC Sierra 1500, Honda Civic, Chevy C3500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Nada. Asked FSE Friday and he said he hasen’t been involved or heard anything going on in our zone. I’ve yet to hear any credible failure analysis on the dealer message boards either. My guess a lot of these are getting replaced under the low time in service (LTIS) program which doesn’t require a full teardown to the point of failure. Catastrophic failures are usually very difficult for us to find a root cause for. We also lack special tooling and metallurgical equipment. Big factor is Ford only pays us a very minimal amount for teardown analysis so at some point we just have to make an educated guess.
Simply astounding that this isn't getting more attention. These don't go back to Ford for analysis???

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Simply astounding that this isn't getting more attention. These don't go back to Ford for analysis???
They do, however the conclusions from the analysis isn't shared downstream afterwards. If they see a repeat and can isolate to a specific component from a lot or manufacturing problem a SSM/TSB will likely be issued at some point. The fact that they ID the issue is half of the problem, coming up with a repair/fix is another. For example, if they find the issue is with a specific lot of valve springs breaking, they know which engines they are in, they can isolate those individual VINs and maybe just replace springs or heads. It takes longer to come up with a repair plan than to ID the root cause from what I've been told. Guarantee they are all over this since it's a very high dollar component failure.

Sponsored

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They do, however the conclusions from the analysis isn't shared downstream afterwards. If they see a repeat and can isolate to a specific component from a lot or manufacturing problem a SSM/TSB will likely be issued at some point. The fact that they ID the issue is half of the problem, coming up with a repair/fix is another. For example, if they find the issue is with a specific lot of valve springs breaking, they know which engines they are in, they can isolate those individual VINs and maybe just replace springs or heads. It takes longer to come up with a repair plan than to ID the root cause from what I've been told. Guarantee they are all over this since it's a very high dollar component failure.
Ok, that's more of what I expected. 100% agree, it would be far cheaper to replace heads or valve train components prior to wiping out engines.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hope they are all over this. Fingers crossed they get this fixed before they build my 2.7 Bronco. 🤞

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One of the interesting observations I've read from folks here is there isn't a bunch of noise (knocking, tapping, clicking) or rough running/miss immediately before it locked, just a complaint that it shut off. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, just didn't stand out in the few posts I've seen. Typically, a valve spring break will cause a miss or noise right before the valve drops. Guess I need to poke around on the FMC message boards for more info.

Dragline

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
One of the interesting observations I've read from folks here is there isn't a bunch of noise (knocking, tapping, clicking) or rough running/miss immediately before it locked, just a complaint that it shut off. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, just didn't stand out in the few posts I've seen. Typically, a valve spring break will cause a miss or noise right before the valve drops. Guess I need to poke around on the FMC message boards for more info.
Interesting observation. Would seem to suggest that the valve stem is breaking.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting observation. Would seem to suggest that the valve stem is breaking.
Yea, I mean a catastrophic can do just about anything from Mr. Rod coming out to visit, nearly beating a block into halves to something as simple as, "It just shut off while I was driving" and everything in between.
No two are identical but how it bites it can give you some clues as to where to look first. I've seen several spun rod bearing make a "tick" noise and nothing else. Others that have spun can be lose enough to get into a valve and then it's on. Seen a bunch of Taurus 3.0 have a miss in the morning due to a varnished valve stem guide but come out of it within a few minutes. We've also seen random misses due to a broken valve springs that didn't drop a valve and allowed it to operate somewhat normally.

Got rid of some great pics of a 7.3 gasser in a motorhome that had a ticking noise at another dealer then finally ka boomed in their lot. Apparently was making this noise for a few days before they went in. Absolutely obliterated the inside of the block, rods, pistons, valves. It was so bad and there were so many chunks we couldn't say for certain what happened. It was down to needing a metallurgist.
Sponsored

Last edited: