Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

After finding out the Ford NVH headliner is essentially $480 carpet, I decided to make my own headliner. For $260 I got:

* Dynamat mats (67 Mil thick - butyl rubber with aluminum backing, self-adhesive)
* 1/8 thick Dynaliner closed/open cell foam (self-adhesive)
* Some charcoal grey indoor/outdoor carpet

Here's the finished driver's side, in comparison to the bare MIC on the passenger side:

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner PXL_20211125_215018868

It was relatively simple process:

Step 1: Clean and prep surface, this was really easy for me as I didn't opt for the factory headliner and had bare MIC.
Step 2: Apply sound deadener wherever it wasn't obstructing the latches or the weather stripping where it's seated on the vehicle.
Step 3: Apply closed/open cell foam to the recessed parts of the top for increased sound deadening/insultation.
Step 4: Measure and cut some carpet, I used a combination of Gorilla spray glue and well-placed VHB/3M strips.

Result: I didn't have science tools to objectively measure, but the sound profile in the cabin definitely improved.

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner PXL_20211125_213816227

Ford Bronco DIY Headliner using Dynamat and Dynaliner PXL_20211126_161404529
Sponsored

Last edited:

trenttrizzy

Big Bend
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So just to confirm, you glued the new carpet to the existing sound-deadening carpet? I’m interested in doing this myself when i get mine. It looks great btw!

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So just to confirm, you glued the new carpet to the existing sound-deadening carpet?
I didn't opt for the free headliner, only because I knew I'd be taking it off immediately...so there was no existing carpet when I started, just bare top!

trenttrizzy

Big Bend
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I didn't opt for the free headliner, only because I knew I'd be taking it off immediately...so there was no existing carpet when I started, just bare top!
Ah, gotcha. Thanks
For the clarification. If you mentioned it above, sorry for missing it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

looks nice. I got the ford headliner since it was free. I figure if it sucks too bad I will pull it and either do a hot head setup or something like you did.

Great job.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After finding out the Ford NVH headliner is essentially $480 carpet, I decided to make my own headliner. For $260 I got:

* Dynamat mats (67 Mil thick - butyl rubber with aluminum backing, self-adhesive)
* 1/8 thick Dynaliner closed/open cell foam (self-adhesive)
* Some charcoal grey indoor/outdoor carpet

Here's the finished driver's side, in comparison to the bare MIC on the passenger side:

It was relatively simple:

Step 1: Clean and prep surface
Step 2: Apply sound deadener wherever it wasn't obstructing the latches or the weather stripping where it's seated on the vehicle.
Step 3: Apply closed/open cell foam to the recessed parts of the top for increased sound deadening/insultation.
Step 4: Measure and cut some carpet, I used a combination of Gorilla spray glue and well-placed VHB/3M strips.

Result: The sound improved greatly, and that's what I was looking for - still noisier than a Prius of course, but night and day compared to the bare MIC.

Nice job there. Acoustics is a fascinating art and science. Science because its known how sound waves move and reflect and absorb, art because making that science work practically in a real-life environment involves aesthetic design choices. I got the free factory liner, and its better than nothing, but I could do more if I wanted to give up headroom, or add weight to the panels, or . . .

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice job there. Acoustics is a fascinating art and science. Science because its known how sound waves move and reflect and absorb, art because making that science work practically in a real-life environment involves aesthetic design choices. I got the free factory liner, and its better than nothing, but I could do more if I wanted to give up headroom, or add weight to the panels, or . . .
I was initially worried about throwing off the top weight. The foam pads weigh next to nothing, but the butyl rubber mats do add weight - I probably distributed 50-60 pounds of it around the entire top. I'm not too worried about it however, I didn't get a roof rack nor plan on it - and I would assume that to be comparable in weight.

In retrospect, I could have gone with the 1/2 thick foam and gotten better insulation/acoustics (I'm not a tall dude). I originally opted for the 1/8 because I didn't want to steal too much headroom.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dynamat is relatively heavy. How much weight did this add to the front panels, and are they still easily manageable on and off?

Sponsored
OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dynamat is relatively heavy. How much weight did this add to the front panels, and are they still easily manageable on and off?
The mats are heavy!

However, the front panels were small enough where it didn't make too much of a difference...I can still do it easily - probably added ~5 or so pounds per panel. The back portion however - now requires two people to remove without getting a hernia. The sound and insulation it provides however is so noticeable that it was worth the trade-off.

If you're building a race Bronco, you don't want this stuff :D

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was initially worried about throwing off the top weight. The foam pads weigh next to nothing, but the butyl rubber mats do add weight - I probably distributed 50-60 pounds of it around the entire top. I'm not too worried about it however, I didn't get a roof rack nor plan on it - and I would assume that to be comparable in weight.

In retrospect, I could have gone with the 1/2 thick foam and gotten better insulation/acoustics (I'm not a tall dude). I originally opted for the 1/8 because I didn't want to steal too much headroom.
I like what you did, Im just interested in the trade-offs and Im not familiar with automotive acoustic products. Would you show a side edge view of the materials you used and how you think they worked?

OP
OP
porjos

porjos

Black Diamond
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DarkPony

Outer Banks
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F250 Platinum, 97 Porsche 993
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I had originally ordered a hard top, I was planning on doing the same thing because a sheet of fleece is not sound deadening. Another thought I had was having a shop spray on truck bed liner. The extra layers you put on should make a big difference. Good work!

I will say to anyone attempting this to use a good adhesive like Landau adhesive and not the spray can adhesives. The aerosol adhesives can't stand up to heat and will quickly release.
Sponsored