Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Land Rover LR4 / 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had my Badlands for about a month now - a former Dirt Mountain Bronco. In the last week or so I started hearing a popping sound from an unknown source. I trouble checked everything I could think of and have narrowed it down to the sound coming from the roof. It seems to have gotten worse in the last couple days. I know this was a known issue with MIC 1.0. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue with their MIC 2.0 ? What is actually causing the popping sound ???
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had my Badlands for about a month now - a former Dirt Mountain Bronco. In the last week or so I started hearing a popping sound from an unknown source. I trouble checked everything I could think of and have narrowed it down to the sound coming from the roof. It seems to have gotten worse in the last couple days. I know this was a known issue with MIC 1.0. Is anyone experiencing a similar issue with their MIC 2.0 ? What is actually causing the popping sound ???
It seems the most common location of the popping would be the guide pins on the MIC panels - specifically the pin directly over the drivers head. The second most common source seems to be the seals around the panels themselves. I fixed both problems by using a bit of silicone seal lubricant that you can pick up from your local auto parts store. My MIC top is whisper quiet now. In my environment (desert), its lasted a good while now without needing to be reapplied.

Get a brand that is designed to not leave a residue.

Another user had good results by putting a thin layer of foam around the guidepin.

Im far too hungover to try to use the search function, so good luck and godspeed.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It seems the most common location of the popping would be the guide pins on the MIC panels - specifically the pin directly over the drivers head. The second most common source seems to be the seals around the panels themselves. I fixed both problems by using a bit of silicone seal lubricant that you can pick up from your local auto parts store. My MIC top is whisper quiet now. In my environment (desert), its lasted a good while now without needing to be reapplied.

Get a brand that is designed to not leave a residue.

Another user had good results by putting a thin layer of foam around the guidepin.

Im far too hungover to try to use the search function, so good luck and godspeed.
Agreed. It's a good idea to silicone all window seals, in this case roof top seals several times a year. Keep them soft.

Milzy90

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE 20 Explorer ST 90 Bronco + many more
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I work at a Ford dealership and I've had a few come by with this issue. I used flocking tape that ford was having us use for a explorer seat frame recall and applied it one 3 guide pins on the driver side and haven't had one come back yet. I have not done anything with the passenger side as only the driver side has been an issue so far.

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Anybody getting a clicking sound from the rear passenger side with their 2 door MIC? I can’t pinpoint the noise by myself but it does seem to be coming from the top. Maybe the tailgate window? Everything seems bolted in well.

Sponsored

elbroncodor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma w/ long travel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has a persistent clicking sound from somewhere in the rear (not in the panels). I've just been living with it. If I could solve it I would, but at the end of the day it's a removable-top party vehicle, not a Lexus.

elbroncodor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma w/ long travel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody getting a clicking sound from the rear passenger side with their 2 door MIC? I can’t pinpoint the noise by myself but it does seem to be coming from the top. Maybe the tailgate window? Everything seems bolted in well.
I have the same exact sound and location on my 4 door 2.0 MIC. I also think its coming from the window.

Milzy90

First Edition
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE 20 Explorer ST 90 Bronco + many more
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I did notice the rear wiper motor cover does not sit that tight and makes some noise under the right nvh conditions. I would suggest to look there first.

Heynongman

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a tinny tapping sound coming from rear tailgate area. Seems to be coming from passenger side. Sound is noticeable while driving over small bumps. I checked the rubber tire support/stoppers, drove with window up, shimmed the door closure cushion things, and checked the floor door flap. I cant recreate the exact noise by shaking the tailgate or tire. Its driving me mad. I'm dropping the bronco off at the dealer today for accessory installation and they are going to give it a look. Only thing I haven't tried is checking the back up camera mount, but the video in the forum of that problem sounds more like a thud.

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a tinny tapping sound coming from rear tailgate area. Seems to be coming from passenger side. Sound is noticeable while driving over small bumps. I checked the rubber tire support/stoppers, drove with window up, shimmed the door closure cushion things, and checked the floor door flap. I cant recreate the exact noise by shaking the tailgate or tire. Its driving me mad. I'm dropping the bronco off at the dealer today for accessory installation and they are going to give it a look. Only thing I haven't tried is checking the back up camera mount, but the video in the forum of that problem sounds more like a thud.
Please let us know if they find the cause. Mine is the same.

Sponsored

Palmermc

First Edition
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.markpalmer-design.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yes, I’m 1800 miles in and I just started to hear a mild popping sound right above and behind my head. I’ll check out that guide pin this weekend.

I’ve also heard an increase in wind noise sort of like a window isn’t fully shut. I’ll give that seal lubricant a shot.

Thanks for the tips!

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

There is another post outlining the noise and using thin rubber/felt/foam around the pins to silence the noise. I tried it yesterday and it worked for me.

LIKEABOSS

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Let me know what they find on this one as well as I have the same problem.