Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1995 f350 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your review is pretty much spot on. I agree with it being smaller/bigger than I expected. The cargo area is a little smaller than I would like. I feel like my Focus ST had more square footage in the hatch. I agree that a more tradition gauge cluster would be better. I feel like this one is going to look dated pretty quickly. I also don't like how the tack is a bar and displays the numbers.

As far as the trans goes, it is very smooth. The gears are short, it feels like I'm driving a semi when I'm starting out. 6th seems useless for passing or anything more than maintaining speed up a hill. My other vehicle is a 95 F350 7.3 with a zf5, so it's not much of a fair comparison. That truck is great on the highway and powers up hills in 5th. The clutch is so light on the Bronco, I felt like I almost put my foot through the floor the first time I started it.
Sponsored

Fowler

Base
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Got my base 2 door 2.3 7 speed 11-5-21 drove it right to tire shop and put 285-75-R16 Nexen Radain A.T. Tires on it. Tranny great 4th 30-40 and 5th 45-55, 6th 55 and over for long periods on open road. I shift 2200rpm to 2500rpm. 19mpg average so far 1300 miles. Very pleased and may add steps when I find one I like.

Chcg12

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Got my base 2 door 2.3 7 speed 11-5-21 drove it right to tire shop and put 285-75-R16 Nexen Radain A.T. Tires on it. Tranny great 4th 30-40 and 5th 45-55, 6th 55 and over for long periods on open road. I shift 2200rpm to 2500rpm. 19mpg average so far 1300 miles. Very pleased and may add steps when I find one I like.
Would enjoy a picture if possible

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will try to make it a quick read and finally provide some content after lurking for over a year.

Received my 2 Door Velocity Blue 2.3L 7 Speed Manual Transmission from Townsend Ford (Mass) last Friday. Had 8 miles on it at pickup. I ordered a base with zero options and only selected the color. I don't live in an area with great outdoor trail access and this will most certainly be a street vehicle only, so I imagine mine will probably be the least abused and rarely used trucks here, but I get maximum smiles per mile in all my vehicles. I wanted a convertible vehicle again, always loved jeeps but need to be different than the masses, so the Bronco is a perfect fit. I also enjoy manuals, my wife can drive them, so this is just going to be another fair weather cruiser for us and the kids

Truck came in and I asked the dealership to do zero prep to it, as I like the unwrapping and seeing exactly as it came from the factory. It arrived on the lot Friday morning and I had it Friday afternoon. They charged me MSRP and a $250 doc fee, they stated I was the first 2 door Bronco they had delivered so far. I have not personally seen another 2 door in person and mine was the first one I'd ever touched or sat in. ( previously I had seen a total of 5 broncos, 4 at dealers driving bye, all 4 doors, and one First edition 4 door driving on 95 in August. Other than that, zilch up here in Mass.

Review:
Truck is bigger and smaller than I thought it would be, sits taller than i would have expected, even a base, but the 2 door is a lot shorter than I imagined, not necessarily a bad thing, just takes up very little distance. Rear storage with back seats up is a little smaller than I'd like, but for what we are using it for, It'll do. I'll admit to not even knowing it was only a 4 seater until pretty late after ordering, I just assumed it was a bench that would sit three kids, so that means the whole family won't be riding in this one, but we have something else for those times I suppose.

The grab handle on the dash is in a terrible position. Should be on the A pillar like on my truck. It's at an in between height, and not in a natural position to climb in with.

7 speeds are too many in my opinion. Coming from much more basic manual transmissions I find there to be almost too many gears. 1st is very short, Almost want to start in second, but won't be. I could have done with a nice 6 speed, just losing one gear and switching ratios a little. I understand a lot of this is for MPG purposes. just my observations. I do like the shift indicator reminding you what you're in, almost wish it was a little bigger. Gauges overall are ok, no real complaints, as others have said, would like a traditional tach, cause I'm a traditional guy. 8" screen is plenty big for me, What I had to get used to most, was the waterproof buttons for the steering wheel and mirrors. Just took a little more pressure than a traditional button. I don't like the placement of the audio controls on the steering wheel, my Chrysler steering wheels are better IMO because you can use fingertips on the backside of the wheel for stations and volume, not thumbs. Much more intuitive and effective. Ram and Pacifica are both the like that. Very nice.

Transmission is so ridiculously smooth that any novice should be able to figure it out because it requires not throttle input while releasing the clutch when it's done smoothly. It simply lurches itself going forward and any gas input thereafter just gets it going more. By far easiest manual I've driven. I also find it unusual to what I'm used to but you don't seem to have to direct the gear shifter to it's position except for starting in 1st or R or C. When going to second you naturally go straight down, but to go 3rd, you push the shifter straight up again and it slides itself into 3rd. First few shifts I was getting it into 5th by throwing it to the right slightly like would be normally done. This really feels a little weird at first, but is very smooth once you get the hang of how the shift pattern works, It does still throw me off on the occasional shift. Ride quality is overall great and what you'd expect of a new SUV, tracks nice and straight on highway at speeds without twitchiness which you might know about on a wrangler, or a Subaru Forester when driving 65ish.

I saw no obvious flaws in my paint job, the top has a few small drops of water sneak in at the automated car wash on the way home from dealer to rinse off any rail dust, but that was from direct sideways sprayer. Not overly concerned. Rides quiet overall on highway indicating a somewhat tight seal on all the panels. I won't be taking them off till spring so we will see how that goes. I am impressed at the shine and quality of cleanliness of my frame and suspension components, I don't believe it spent much time outside after being made, I plan on doing my usual routine of waxing and metal treatments like I do on all my cars to preserve them as long as possible.

The one thing I didn't like was the tires that came on the truck, so off they went at 30 miles, I replaced them with Firestone Destination XT's in 285/75 16. I liked the tread pattern and the classic name recognition as that is the look I am going for. I don't need the highest performance tires and these will do just fine for me even if that's not what others would have chosen. Sullivan tire is where I got them and paid $1,350 for all 5 mounted and balanced. I don't let many people touch my cars, so I brought them the wheels and tires in two trips.

I painted the wheels after the new tires were mounted, and masked off the tires. I used PLASTIDIP, for those that gasp, I use it frequently and have always had good results, and it's always reversible if you need it to be. If you keep things clean the color and condition holds just fine. For those that haven't tried it yet, I'm a fan of the product and use it in many applications with great success. I think the new tires make the truck look as it should. I'm definitely ok with the more conservative pedestrian version with a slightly off roady look Bronco for me at this time. I'm also proud to try and come in at the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK package with this truck. All in with what you see cost $30,250 plus $1,800 tax, plus $1,350 tires and $25 paint totals $33,500 which is a great bargain if you ask me.
The truck has 100 miles on it and was put away in the garage probably until the spring, but in that time I will be adding my Bronco script on the fender, and may or may not do a classic type of graphic down the side.

I didn't really stop anywhere or have anyone ask me a question about it since it's so fresh, but in the few miles I did put on it you do notice a few heads from other drivers seemingly do a double take when they ask if that is in fact a new 2 door BRONCO. I did have one jeep guy wave but I seriously think he thought I was a jeep as I didn't do the white Bronco lettering in the front grill yet (coming soon)

Here is how it arrived from dealer,
IMG_6200.JPG

Here is how it appears after new tires and white rims:

IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_6209.JPG

IMG_6208.JPG

The stablemates that the new Bronco will be joining includes:
2002 Mercury cougar, bought new after graduating college, 30k miles and is as new basically with Day 2 mods, never abused. 5 speed.

black4.jpg

1974 Dodge Dart Swinger slant six. 3 speed auto.

IMG_1968.JPG

1980 C10 Short bed 2WD. Straight six and 3 speed manual on the floor.

IMG_5766.JPG

my daily driver is my 2010 RAM I bought new and now has 190k miles and drives my kids all over creation. I just don't let them eat or drink in it and I keep the inside as clean as the outside.

IMG_3436.JPG

And my bike which I have had since new in 2001, TL1000R, 5k miles

TL.jpg

It's a little out of hand, but I am a person who when I buy something, I don't get rid of it. I just keep it. With cars and my obsession in cleanliness and maintenance, It just means they don't get used up and discarded or thrown in the field. I just put them aside and use them a little less, but every one gets started and run often and moved and rolling frequently. I've had the bike and cougar for 20 years now which just means I'm getting old at this point!

Hopefully you now have another data point or two regarding a base bronco in helping you decide some things, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll be happy to help. Please don't hate too much as this is clearly mostly a mall crawler situation, but if anyone is local to me you are more than welcome to come over and check it out in person.

IMG_5735.JPG
I love the white wheels, considering that for my OBX. I wonder if that Plastidip would work on the MIC top, if it works on steel wheels. That would give me a look like my old International Scout! White on white.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 6-speed manual 2002 Corvette - in traffic I shift 1 - 3 - 5 up, often use second going down (have skip-shift over-ride). Like you, no one else puts a wrench on it, 100 K and still blows-off loud Mustangs with ease, and pushes new Porches hard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
fzracer484

fzracer484

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was definitely going to try the white top at some point with plastidip as it's reversible, but I will probably wait till spring, I ran out of time on the weather here in Mass. We got a dusting of snow on the ground overnight and the salt hit the roads with the tell tale whitish color when I took a ride with the wife today in her minivan, so it won't be leaving the garage till spring sadly. The night I finished the wheels it was pretty chilly in the garage to the point I brought in the space heater. I masked up the tires with painters tape, do the whole tire, don't be lazy, it's quicker and cheaper than rubbing overspray off with your thumb.

Did I mention how heavy the new tires are compared to the stock ones. How in the heck are you guys getting a 35 or 37" tire off the back gate if you need to swap out. I'm short and somewhat abled, but goddamn that was a workout putting all the new tires back on manually. I ended up using my jack to get the spare tire up in the air a decent amount to give me a much better starting point.

I love the white wheels, considering that for my OBX. I wonder if that Plastidip would work on the MIC top, if it works on steel wheels. That would give me a look like my old International Scout! White on white.

OP
OP
fzracer484

fzracer484

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I tried going the 1,3 shift and it didn't really have enough torque to not buck a little bit, or slog, or bog, whatever you might describe too little throttle in a manual. Admittedly I didn't wind out the tach enough to try it under higher torque as I'm still in the break in period.

I have a 6-speed manual 2002 Corvette - in traffic I shift 1 - 3 - 5 up, often use second going down (have skip-shift over-ride). Like you, no one else puts a wrench on it, 100 K and still blows-off loud Mustangs with ease, and pushes new Porches hard.

UNBROKN

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 F-350 CC dually, 97 Infiniti QX4, 21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Love all your rides! I can never keep mine that clean and nice. I do appreciate the people that can. The wheels on your Bronco look fantastic. Sorry you have to put it away until spring. I will hate driving mine when the weather is bad at first, but I bought it as a daily driver.
You say you don't plan to hit the trails with it, but you should go to the Off-Rodeo sometime if you haven't. It was so much fun and we learned a lot. You may take yours to the trail more after.

Sponsored

Bertbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Awesome. I’m in NH will get mine in about 3 weeks.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank for posting that. One question about your comments on the 7 speed: It’s not really a 7-speed; it’s a standard 6-speed manual with a creeper gear. (The only actual 7-speed manual currently in production is in the Porsche 911). The creeper gear is only used in special ultra-slow off-road situations. But I assume you know that. It sounded like you were using the creeper gear as 1st. I drove a manual Bronco recently (granted it was a short test drive), but to me the manual operated exactly as all my 6-speed manuals do. Can you please elaborate?

You best let Ford know so they don't look foolish, since they are the ones that had it built for the Bronco, I am sure they would love to know that your feelings on the matter trump the number of forward gears and their advertised spec.

From Ford.com...

Transmission10-Speed Automatic/7-Speed Manual Transmission

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was definitely going to try the white top at some point with plastidip as it's reversible, but I will probably wait till spring, I ran out of time on the weather here in Mass. We got a dusting of snow on the ground overnight and the salt hit the roads with the tell tale whitish color when I took a ride with the wife today in her minivan, so it won't be leaving the garage till spring sadly. The night I finished the wheels it was pretty chilly in the garage to the point I brought in the space heater. I masked up the tires with painters tape, do the whole tire, don't be lazy, it's quicker and cheaper than rubbing overspray off with your thumb.

Did I mention how heavy the new tires are compared to the stock ones. How in the heck are you guys getting a 35 or 37" tire off the back gate if you need to swap out. I'm short and somewhat abled, but goddamn that was a workout putting all the new tires back on manually. I ended up using my jack to get the spare tire up in the air a decent amount to give me a much better starting point.
Gotcha on the wheel weight. Not counting the wheels, The stock P255/70R18 tires on my OBX weigh 40#. Upgrade to Baja Boss LT275/70R18 tires are 67#! Nitto Terra Grapplers would weigh 52#. Lotta weight when including wheel.
Sponsored