First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does anyone have a short list of tools/sizes/etc that are common to the 6G? Rolling with a generic tool kit tends to be a "waste" that 11mm and 5/32 are always a handy crowd pleaser. 😉🙄.

I like to build tool kits to match the rig, with limited space, real estate is at a premium.

Any info welcomed.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Almost all of the common maintenance stuff is going to be the common metric sizes. 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, etc. The only odd-ball size is a 27mm (or 1 1/16") socket for the plastic oil filter housing on the 2.7L engine.

Other than the common metric sizes, you'll need some Torx bits. Knowing Ford you'll probably need a T-25, T-30, and T-50... but if I'm being honest I haven't taken a full inventory of all of the Torx bit sizes yet.

Keep in mind that Ford included a toolkit with the Bronco that likely already has many of these sizes. Just be sure to grab an extra 10mm ;)

---

EDIT: It seems the Bronco toolkit comes with a 10mm, 13mm, a T-30, and a T-50. That said... on the photos I found, the T-50 bit is actually labeled IP50, which hints that it may be Torx Plus and not regular Torx. That makes it extra fun.

Last edited:

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I threw in a 6n1 screwdriver, a crescent wrench and slip joint pliers. If I need more I will throw in my dewalt mechanics set. I also carry electrical tape, and zip ties

OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Almost all of the common maintenance stuff is going to be the common metric sizes. 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, etc. The only odd-ball size is a 27mm (or 1 1/16") socket for the plastic oil filter housing on the 2.7L engine.

Other than the common metric sizes, you'll need some Torx bits. Knowing Ford you'll probably need a T-25, T-30, and T-50... but if I'm being honest I haven't taken a full inventory of all of the Torx bit sizes yet.

Keep in mind that Ford included a toolkit with the Bronco that likely already has many of these sizes. Just be sure to grab an extra 10mm ;)

---

EDIT: It seems the Bronco toolkit comes with a 10mm, 13mm, a T-30, and a T-50. That said... on the photos I found, the T-50 bit is actually labeled IP50, which hints that it may be Torx Plus and not regular Torx. That makes it extra fun.
Thank you very much.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve found a few 18mm nuts. Not all socket or wrench sets include a 18mm, so just check to make sure you it on hand.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

---

10mm is the worst!
Ford Bronco Looking for list of tools/sizes/etc that are common to the 6G? For my tool kit AD2F6E1F-2EAC-4704-A62F-D02BFCB4E7BD

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

-Super 33 electrical tape, and for the love of all things, keep the plastic case. People that have that melted cone of electrical tape should be taken out back and beaten.
-Box blade w/spare blades. Yes a pocket knife is great, if you have a locking blade & keep it sharpened. But lets be honest how often have you found yourself thinking "I need to sharpen this thing."

3M-Scotch-Super-33-Electrical-Tape.jpg

7730a1ce-7bf7-4d58-9b9d-5b387053ddcf_1.06525ecca573d41760dcafd46bf41f68.jpeg

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
There was a thread last week that indicated that Bronco uses an inexplicable mix of Torx and Torx Plus. I had never even heard of Torx Plus before.

Given the reports of how soft the "Bronco Bolts" are, best to be certain which are which.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Get a portable Ford scan tool. Not much on a modern car is field repairable. Taking a big bag of tools along with you is pretty much useless.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a thread last week that indicated that Bronco uses an inexplicable mix of Torx and Torx Plus. I had never even heard of Torx Plus before.

Given the reports of how soft the "Bronco Bolts" are, best to be certain which are which.
I did some searching last night and found the same thing. Surprised.

I have a set of Torx Plus bits, but I’ve only ever used it on aircraft before. Usually the only variants of Torx you see beyond the regular screws are Security Torx or External Torx.

Also… found during my Google searches that the HD bumper makes widespread use of T-40. Or maybe it’s IP40? I guess we don’t really know for sure at this point.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tool bag in my 87 Bronco was about 40 pounds and rivaled many people’s home tool sets. Pairing down to a more manageable size and weight is a good move. A metric 1/4” ratchet set will cover most of the things that can be fixed on a trail. I carry at least this Sunex set in all my cars. It has become my go to for most small things. Most things on my recent Fords have been 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, and 18mm. If I were building a kit I’d be thinking 3/8” ratchet with those sizes, matching combination wrenches, a decent pair of pliers, and a basic bit set. Add in some extra fuses, a small tarp (for laying on the ground), gloves, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, some recovery gear (shackles, tow/snatch strap) and it’s ready to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MA7MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read elsewhere that there are TP40 and TP27 on the truck. Here are the least expansive options I’ve found:

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-16036-13-Piece-Impact-Torx/dp/B082QTHTRD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1P4WCYF3MQ8SL&keywords=titan+torx+plus&qid=1638109371&sprefix=Titan+torx,aps,170&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-13..._27?keywords=torx+plus&qid=1638109423&sr=8-27

I went full send and bought this set instead. I’m a sucker for complete sets and I have a couple others from Capri.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESN02G2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lxatoledo

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The tool bag in my 87 Bronco was about 40 pounds and rivaled many people’s home tool sets. Pairing down to a more manageable size and weight is a good move. A metric 1/4” ratchet set will cover most of the things that can be fixed on a trail. I carry at least this Sunex set in all my cars. It has become my go to for most small things. Most things on my recent Fords have been 8mm, 10mm, 13mm, and 18mm. If I were building a kit I’d be thinking 3/8” ratchet with those sizes, matching combination wrenches, a decent pair of pliers, and a basic bit set. Add in some extra fuses, a small tarp (for laying on the ground), gloves, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, some recovery gear (shackles, tow/snatch strap) and it’s ready to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MA7MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read elsewhere that there are TP40 and TP27 on the truck. Here are the least expansive options I’ve found:

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-16036-13-Piece-Impact-Torx/dp/B082QTHTRD/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1P4WCYF3MQ8SL&keywords=titan+torx+plus&qid=1638109371&sprefix=Titan+torx,aps,170&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-13..._27?keywords=torx+plus&qid=1638109423&sr=8-27

I went full send and bought this set instead. I’m a sucker for complete sets and I have a couple others from Capri.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESN02G2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That Titan set is nice. Thx

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have a short list of tools/sizes/etc that are common to the 6G? Rolling with a generic tool kit tends to be a "waste" that 11mm and 5/32 are always a handy crowd pleaser. 😉🙄.

I like to build tool kits to match the rig, with limited space, real estate is at a premium.

Any info welcomed.
Good thread to get going, just want to say remember that wheeling isn't a singular activity it's usually done in groups with varying levels of skill n builds.

Meaning, for those of us who bring a tool kit or roll, the tools, air tools, straps, zip ties, duct tape, or even the winch aren't just for us, it's for others in your group, or the poor guy who got stuck on the trail either alone or underprepared. This happens to almost all of us who actually go out.

Always remember to lend a helping hand. What goes around definitely comes back when you're out in the woods.

Not calling you selfish or anything; got what you meant, just sharing a PSA for those reading who may be new to getting out.
Sponsored