Sponsored

Bay Area Broncos

Here we go with the new G.O.A.T’s of the bay!!
@BadBlueBronco
I have seen a few people from the bay area/norcal talk about wanting to get wraps or clear bra on their broncos. I have a long time friend that owns a wrap shop that does great work for reasonable prices. Here is their info: https://www.prostylewraps.com/

Owners name is Tony and tell him his Bronco friend sent you, he will give you a great deal. Shop is located:
ProStyleWraps
11353 Pyrites Way STE. 6,
Rancho Cordova, CA, 95670
Show full message
fronc
fronc
Highly recommend a wrap. Mine was done with Avery Dennison Supreme Defense Matte and it's awesome.
Reactions: murphtron
View previous replies…
fronc
fronc
@Boston182 yup, SS Customs gave me the choice. I went with Avery because that's what the shop owner recommended, as well as what he uses on his personal vehicles. Avery has just begun making a big push for the PPF market, which has basically been cornered by XPEL until now. Avery's product has built in hydrophobic top coat, so ceramic coat isn't needed on top of it.

Full disclosure, though... I reached out to Avery Dennison back in July and got my materials sponsored by them. My opinion, however, is my own, and I've been extremely happy with how it turned out.
Boston182
Boston182
@fronc I JUST scheduled and paid my deposit today. The girl on the phone (Tanya?) recommended XPEL when I pressed further on the subject. She also took no issue with me wanting to add ceramic.

I assume XPEL doesn't have hydrophobic qualities, since you mentioned that? And I assume Avery has all the benefits that XPEL does (self-healing, tough, etc etc?)

Sorry for all the questions. About to drop $8k and I prefer that to be well spent.
fronc
fronc
@Boston182 XPEL you would need Ceramic to get the same benefits as the Avery. Avery is also self healing. I would ask to speak with Shareef directly (the owner) and let him know Frank with the Fronco Bronco referred you. He's very honest and knowledgeable and will make sure you get what you want.
Boston182
Boston182
I got a quote at SS Customs for
- $6,500 to wrap in PPF (material and labor)
- $815 to tint windows
- $1,350 for ceramic

Whopping total of $9,351 for material and labor for all of the above. Been shopping around for places to beat it. Think your friend can hook a dude up?
fronc
fronc
Just my $.02... Don't need ceramic for Avery Dennison product, it has built in top coat hydrophobic properties. And tbh with you, that's kind of a lot for tint (Check with Grizzly Style in south San Francisco). But the wrap price sounds pretty reasonable given the level of detail they use, and the fact they've already done a Bronco now.
murphtron
murphtron
Now I know how much a wrap costs! Wow, it's more than I expected. Is the main reason to get a wrap to protect the paint from flying rocks on the freeway or branches/light scratches on the trail?
Reactions: Boston182
Boston182
Boston182
@murphtron I'd like to drive this thing the way it's meant to be driven. But having a First Edition, I'd like to keep it as safe as humanly possible on the stipulation it can keep its value if I put it in a giant plastic condom. Haha
@BadBlueBronco
@BadBlueBronco
@murphtron wraps are cheaper and meant to easily change car color vs painting. They do help protect the surface but not anything close to clear bra
BLMike
BLMike
OCDetailing quoted me $6500 for Xpel Stealth PPF. Full wrap but I asked for none on the roof, bumpers, handles, side mirrors, and fenders. I will have a 4 door BL and see no need to wrap or do anything with those. My Wrangle non-painted are fine, especially after I did a bed liner spray paint job on them a few years ago. I did read that someone recommended screen protector for the TS. Apparently scratches easily when there is dust from the trail.

Could someone explain why you would do ceramic after a PPF? What is the benefit especially for a non-exotic car. I just want to protect it from pin stripes given its rarity for now.

Edit: Misspoke above. It wasn't OCDetailing (they are on my list) but it was Aegis who quoted the $6500. Sorry.
@BadBlueBronco
@BadBlueBronco
You could ceramic coat after PPF to help reduce the amount of dirt that sticks to your car. It will make it look cleaner, longer but won’t protect paint or the PPF as much as some think.
Daktari
Daktari
"ceramic" is a bit of a marketing gimmick name too I think. Nobody is really baking any ceramics on there, it's a polymer of some sort that is very hydrophobic and makes dirt stick less and water pearl off better than wax (well, maybe not better than a good fresh wax job) and lasts longer, 2-5 years on average from what I read, some say 5-7 years now. It really just absolves you from future waxing until it's 'used up' and you have to have it done again.
With my first wash I'll be applying Adam's "graphene ceramic" coating on myself, looks like an easy but time consuming process, wash first, claybar, and all that, then coat. But I'll get to know my Bronco well, see if there are paint problems I have not yet found and save a bundle. And if I mess up, easy to remove and just go back to wax.

So that's why you can put it over your PPF, helps keep dirt from sticking and washes easier while it's still good. I'm not a particular fan of car washing, so anything that helps, even if it takes me a couple hours. Putting it under PPF makes zero sense though.

And PPF also has a limited lifetime (like any wrap), despite what ever warranty some shop might promise, look for the fine print and warranty by the manufacturer, I'm not aware of a single one with 'lifetime' or even any longer warranty. It will prevent small scratches and if self healing will make scratches that happen disappear with heat (sun, hair dryer, etc, lots of good info on youtube). Somewhere on the forum was a really good thread about this where a guy that does vinyl wraps (big signs on house walls etc) and also did cars explains things in more detail, I just can't think of his forum name right now, search should lead you to it.

Personally I'd never pay thousands for this on an offroader, it comes more from the high performance super car market, where it makes more sense IMO. I'm not gonna use mine as a show car or stop at coffee and cars or anything like that.

I will try to install 3M PPF on the front of the hood, just bought a small roll on Amazon, and have other PPF for the door sills (pre cut) and the roll bars where the soft top might touch (pre cut). Nothing I've ever done, but doesn't look too hard for those smaller areas, the hood is pretty flat in front. Noting to cut around or stretch things much. And if I mess up I wasted some $50 on stickers and learned something, plus something new to try and do is always fun. Can't hurt the car or paint, low risk. I'll post if it worked or not, have to wait out the rain now.
BLMike
BLMike
Good info. Makes sense. I may follow your lead and just do the coating to help with dirt and water repellant. Assume it also helps with bugs and bird droppings. I do wish it wasn’t so expensive for a PPF wrap, but I assume you get what you pay for install wise. In all honesty, I am also pondering doing it for a different look with the stealth. I like the matte look, I don’t like the extra care needed for matte paint job. Side benefit is some paint protection. I need to do more reading about it. I know it doesn’t last forever.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Reactions: Daktari
Daktari
Daktari
@BLMike no problem. Stealth can look great, I'd not want it, but I'd certainly admire it, seen some photos that look really good. Doesn't work with every color though, maybe you can go to a wrap shop and just have them apply a piece of left over stealth somewhere so you can see the effect, should only take them a couple min to give you an idea.

"ceramic" does help with bird droppings and bugs and also sap etc I believe, it's just a hard polymer coat. Bird poop needs to come off asap too, even with that stuff on I'd say. But it'll be easier. Like super freshly waxed.
BLMike
BLMike
I was thinking test a spot too. I have had bird poop etch my paint before. Sucks. Even if I like it…I don’t know. It’s expensive. Can buy a lot of other things for the Bronco with that cash that are more useful.
Daktari
Daktari
@BLMike yes, that's the main reason for me to not even consider a full wrap. This rig was expensive enough and there are some things I'd like to add that I'll actually use. And then maybe upgrade my camping gear instead of making it all pretty for others to marvel at, I'm sure after a week or two I'd not even notice it much anymore. Good there are options for everyone and every wallet ;-)
Reactions: BLMike
Daktari
Daktari
not sure why I get notes about this thread again and again, the "clubs" section is a bit wonky on here.
Just keep in mind, if you do a wrap, it's temporary and only good for a couple of years.
I was just quoted around $3k to have my 18 year old Tacoma repainted (clear coat on roof and hood is coming off, full repaint apparently makes more sense, as in sanded down to bare metal repaint), so spending twice that on a wrap that will never last 18 years seems a bit - extravagant I guess. Unless you plan to change colors every couple of years (and have the $), I consider wraps a current fad and doubt any wrap will save anyone any (significant) amount of $ for repair on paint down the road.
I'd not mind having mine wrapped in a different color every quarter, but I'd never spend that kind of money on 'paint protection' unless we're talking Königsegg level vehicles here. Just not worth it to me. But I'll still admire those wrapped Broncos I'll come across, not as much as a Königsegg, but still ;-)
BLMike
BLMike
@Daktari looks like a couple new replies above. That’s why you got some notifications.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views