Sponsored

Colorado Bronco Club

A place for Coloradans to share ideas with other Bronco owners, organize meets, and plan 4X4 excursions into the great Rocky Mountains!
I've been tracking these numbers over time:

1635954532524.png

I constructed this to get an approximation of the number of ponies on Dirt Mountain and to track production, sales and inventory.

Some points:

* Gross stocks (vehicles on dealer lots? - the numbers are not shown here) have risen from 0 in June to 6,200 in October.

* From June through August, production was much higher than sales and you can see that Estimated Dirt Mountain grew quickly (note I have deducted inventory from production to get to Estimated Dirt Mountain).

* Estimated Dirt Mountain has been dropping at a healthy rate beginning in August.

* Beginning in September, Sales and Production have been about the same number each month (indicating that dirt Mountain isn't growing?).

* If we assume a run-rate of about 8,000 per month for the remainder of the 2021 model year, MY21 production will be about 40,500 for MY21, maybe 48,500 for the calendar year.

* If we assume the same 8,000 per month for MY22, MY22 production will be about 96,000.

* If 120,000 of the MY21 reservations were converted to orders (ignoring people dropping off, code 99's, etc) and given 32,000 produced to date (ignoring that some of these are post-March 19 orders), given 6,200 in dealer stocks, there are about 85,000 MY21 reservations to build. In a perfect world at 8,000 a month, it will take 11 months to clear these.

* Hopefully the monthly build rate grows.
Show full message
fergthulhu
fergthulhu
Seems like those Gross stocks (if they are the ones on dealer lots) would significantly eat into that ability to clear the reservations. I suspect this is where the complaints regarding the allocation formulas are coming from.

Cool to see the data on this though, thank you.
Reactions: DaveH and dbeyers
babraunagel
babraunagel
@fergthulhu That's just a small part of it. Ford is now allocating to dealerships based upon their (past) sales rather than by the number of reservations that a dealership has gained from buyers. Therefore, a dealership with small prior year sales and with lots of reservations just got screwed -- along with all their reservation holders.
joeramirez
joeramirez
Thanks. Under the original allocation formula, this would hold true. Now that dealers will be getting stock it appears unlikely that the customers who reserved in 2021 will be filled this year. I hope I'm wrong.
dbeyers
Absolutely - dealer stock and fixing Dirt Mountain ponies detract (in the short term) from filling reservations.
dbeyers
The silver lining of allocations is it limits dealer stock?
View previous replies…
DaveH
DaveH
@dbeyers Maybe hypothetical example will help:
Dealer A: Allocated 200 Broncos for MY22 based on the last 3 years of overall sales. Has 125 reservations. Will end up with 75 for dealer stock.
Dealer B: Allocated 150 Broncos for MY 22 based on the last 3 years of overall sales. Has 250 reservations. Will end up with 100 reservations rolling over to MY23 even though Dealer A has dealer stock.

Actual allocation is month to month but reconciling the discrepancy above would mean that toward the end of the year, Ford would need to significantly increase Dealer B's allocation and/or reduce Dealer A's allocation.

Ford is standing by the statement that reservations will be delivered before dealer stock but has been silent on how they will reconcile that against the allocation formula. In fact, Ford has added dealer allocation to the FAQs on how the build order will be determined.
dbeyers
I understand - thanks - do you think production is enough to fill all dealers monthly allocations (able to be filled reservation + dealer stock)? All that dealer stock will put some pressure on large ADM’s? Plus if I see my build in dealer stock, or close I may jump for it. I am a 2 door mid-August 2020 reservation … I am hoping for Q1 22 expecting Q2 22. Hope you beat me! 👍🏻
DaveH
DaveH
@dbeyers It is my impression that Ford adjusts the total allocation to approximately match anticipated production.
babraunagel
babraunagel
By the way, thanks for putting together the information and graph -- excellent work!
drose1
drose1
Nice graph! What causes a built pony to hang out on Dirt Mountain? Just the MIC top? Anything else?
dbeyers
I have to admit I'm not super comfortable with my dirt mountain estimate for reasons I'll go into below. "Dirt Mountain" is MIC tops for certain, there were 500-odd air-bag recalls, maybe tow packages (not sure if these could be dealer installed).

Production, sales and "stocks" (which I think are dealer lot stock) are published Ford numbers. I thought I could estimate Dirt Mountain from the cumulative difference between production and sales. Further thought tells me that the DM vehicles are not counted in production as they are not finished are should be considered "work in process". Stocks are a part of production and when a vehicle is sold off a lot it contributes to sales - so dealer stocks are not counted as a sale from Ford's books perspective.

1636424828963.png

But there is still a 8,400 gap between production to date minus sales to date minus October stocks - this seems a bit big for Dirt Mountain - maybe its the Dirt Mountain Range? If I assume an average 2 weeks of monthly production is "in transit", being shipped, that is produced, but not sold, not stock and not Dirt Mountain the numbers look a bit more believable.

1636425791346.png

We just don't know (beyond surveillance photos) for certain how many vehicles are on Dirt Mountain. I am not convinced that MIC top production has hit full stride - as I read some of the forums it seems too few 4-door hard tops and very few 2-door hard tops are shipping. I wonder if they implemented MIC 2.0 on just a few 2-door and 4-door molds until they were convinced they had it totally fixed. At that point they might implement the mold changes on the full set of production tools. Maybe they haven't quire turned the corner on the design or they are getting the remaining tooling modified - time will tell.
babraunagel
babraunagel
Good stuff and adjustments mentioned make sense. FYI, Have touched base with some customers who are experiencing delivery times exceeding far 2-weeks (between semi truck ride to the trail yard, then train, then sitting at a trail yard for days and then back in another semi for delivery to the dealer). Additionally, dealers routinely need a few days to turn a vehicle around after it is delivered to their site (for inspection, sales and financing paperwork, etc.) Dealers typically receive a truckload at a time and not all the vehicles can be the #1 priority at the same time.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views