Sponsored

Colorado Bronco Club

A place for Coloradans to share ideas with other Bronco owners, organize meets, and plan 4X4 excursions into the great Rocky Mountains!
DrBriGuy
Hi everyone,

Received my Bronco in early Dec and starting to do some research on the best way to learn how to use it. I have 0 offroad experience but very interested to learn. I'm an avid hiker and fly fisherman, recently moved to Longmont, and so having a capable 4x4 vehicle was high on the list to access some cool spots. Beyond that, the offroad "sport" seems fun and challenging in its own right.

I'm looking for some advice around these topics:
1) Best reference for picking off-roading trails based on experience. something like this: this: or maybe a website/club reference section?
2) Is Off-Roadeo a good place to start for a newbie or are there better local classes, meetups, etc.?
3) What are some good groups in Denver, preferably Boulder/Longmont area for trips? I'd rather learn in a group, especially lacking recovery gear for the moment.
4) What are the best/safest solo tracks for practice with the vehicle where I'm not likely to need a lot of help?

Looking forward to meeting some of you and thanks in advance for any guidance. Obvioulsy I have Googled a lot of the above but just looking for some more personal recommendations from this crowd and hopefully a few personal connections.

Thanks!

Brian

IMG_0501.jpeg
Show full message
Reactions: Triathlonfun
fergthulhu
fergthulhu
I really enjoyed the class I took with Matt @ OnTrail Training. He has driving skills and recovery classes:
https://www.ontrailtraining.com/classes
Nothing is currently available due to the season, but I'm sure he'll be back next spring. When I went this year, we drove through slaughterhouse gulch near Bailey, CO.

I know there are several books, but I've also used trailsoffroad.com & alltrails.com (both require memberships for some things). I like trailsoffroad as they usually have good videos along with trail ratings and why they are rated that way. Community that can share current conditions and rate the trail themselves as well.
Mike E
Mike E
I’ve done stuff with the local Jeep Club….and I’ve done stuff with Friends. I’ve always found it best to go off roading with others when you start pushing comfort zones. Hopefully with our local club via this website we’ll be able to get some organized Bronco runs scheduled….
DrBriGuy
DrBriGuy
@Mike E Looking forward to it. I'll keep my eyes on it. Is there a more local club on here that you'd recommend, this being the general Colorado group...?
Coloradonatives
Coloradonatives
Absolutely the OffRoadeo is a great way to learn what your Bronco (and you) are capable of. Highly recommended (and I have been off-roading in Colorado for 50 years). We had a blast and learned so much.
The Bronze
The Bronze
Some Bronco owners are going g to Ram Off-Road park (COS) on January 8th to play around with our vehicles. Going to work on spotting winching and general off-road use. A mix of new and classic Broncos will be there. Likely a great way for you to get your feet wet!
Reactions: DrBriGuy
ptk5280
ptk5280
@The Bronze my wife and I attended; great event, got an hour behind the wheel; learned a few things… if they offer similar for new owners, good place to start
RunninRiot
RunninRiot
Nice. I’ll be there. Where are you posting info at?
ptk5280
ptk5280
kbutler1
kbutler1
In Longmont as well, took delivery of my Wildtrak last week. See you around town!
DrBriGuy
DrBriGuy
Think I may have already seen you driving around, maybe coming out of somerset meadows onto airport?

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views