Sponsored

Colorado Bronco Club

A place for Coloradans to share ideas with other Bronco owners, organize meets, and plan 4X4 excursions into the great Rocky Mountains!
TyGuy40
Hey everyone, I'm driving to the Aspen area later this month, and I wanted to hike Castle Peak at some point, but was curious if a 2-door Badlands with stock 33s gives enough ground clearance to get to the first bridge and creek on this trail, and how easy it is to get to the about the 12k foot mark?

Also, has anyone here done this hike before? Can it be done in a day if you start really early? Thanks!
Show full message
Reactions: babraunagel
Flourman
Flourman
I can’t really comment on that trail but there’s not a lot of activity on this forum but the Colorado Bronco Owners facebook group is pretty darn active and would likely get a response quick there.
TyGuy40
TyGuy40
thank you!
b_moar
b_moar
I hiked Castle last year and saw several stock 4Runners, Wrangler Sports and other like vehicles making the crossing no problem. Only Jeeps made it up all the way to Montezuma Basin, so I don't think a BL on 33s would have a problem. (It may be a bit on the wide side where the road splits from Pearl.) The creek is probably high and swift since it's still early in the climbing season. I would check recent reports on 14ers.com for the most up-to-date information. https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailheadsview.php?thparm=er01

If you make it to the Pearl Pass junction or the top of Montezuma Basin, then it's a very doable day hike. I had to hike the whole 12 miles since I was driving my Outback and couldn't make it past the creek.
TyGuy40
TyGuy40
@b_moar thank you so much. All great info!!

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views