Sponsored

Bay Area Broncos

Here we go with the new G.O.A.T’s of the bay!!
Daktari
I'll be in the S. Lake Tahoe area soon for a week, family camp at Fallen Leaf Lake that I'm sure I'll have to get away from for a day or three, so looking for some easy/medium fun trails to play on. Not the Rubicon or anything too crazy, prefer to keep damage away for now, but could be more than just a fire road too. Something with nice views, maybe a lake you get to, a couple fun obstacles that aren't crazy. I'll most likely be alone or with my son, but no other vehicle to pull me off a rock or something. I'll have a radio and phone and people will know where I'm going, but prefer to avoid harder stuff for now. I can air down/up.

The Genoa Peak trail WheelMe mentions below seems fun, so some things like that. I'll check all trails etc, but if you have a favorite trail pls let me know!

Thanks!
Show full message
Lake Tahoe Traveler
Lake Tahoe Traveler
Genoa peak is awesome… easy to get lost or miss a turn or two. Just keep going up hill and review the trail maps…
Incredible panoramic view of The Carson Valley and Lake Tahoe at the top…
You have to hike that part.

Another trail is Blackwood Canyon (West shore)… it hooks around past Ellis peak to the join the very end of the Rubicon trail then ending at the Rubicon staging area by Tahoma…
I’ve never done the Rubicon part… people have discouraged me…But I’m planning on doing it this summer….

Another trail is the Mt Watson trail starting behind the golf course in Tahoe City going through the North Star ski resort ending near highway 267 uphill from Kings beach. Very doable trail..
it is not Genoa Peak but has a great view from Mt Watson….

Their is also an off road run to see the wild horses east of Carson city… they are worth seeing…

It’s a gamble that they might not be there… but early morning is the best to see them near a watering hole.

Hope this helps!
-Tahotrvlr
WheelMe
WheelMe
Great comments by @Lake Tahoe Traveler - I'll be trying those other trails next time I'm up there. As for Genoa Peak OHV Trail, find it on the AllTrails app (free version), download the trail map onto your phone, click "Navigate", and follow it (the trail is highlighted in red); you won't get lost with it. If you don't plan on airing down, go slow to avoid tire punctures (lots of small-sized but sharp-edged rocks, but with proper line-selection, not a problem). It's a great trail, with a little of everything.
Reactions: Daktari
Daktari
Daktari
@WheelMe great, thank you! I will be airing down, just to be safer, and have a patch kit with me too. Sounds like a fun trail to try!
MJBbase22
MJBbase22
I will also be in South Lake next week looking for some beginner trails. Would like to take the fam so nothing too bumpy but getting offroad and some views would be sweet. Seems like the trail behind the golf course into North Start is beginner friendly. Open to any suggestions. Cheers!
Lake Tahoe Traveler
Lake Tahoe Traveler
Absolutely… you could take your mom’s station wagon on this trail… nothing crazy…

Make sure you get a good trail map… the forest roads can get confusing.

Do have a short hike to the top of Mt Watson.

Hope this helps
SS Bronco
SS Bronco
Richardson Lake, Miller lake are easy lakes to get to inTahoma. Both are off the east end of the Rubicon, but that end is very tame just a few miles out of the staging area
American Sender
American Sender
Meadow Lake Road off highway 89 towards Sierraville.
Daktari
Daktari
thanks for all the great suggestions! Hope I'll be hitting at least one of them, better more!
Rkeally
Rkeally
@Daktari check out Forestdale Divide Rd at Red Lake off HWY 88. It’s about 30 min from SLT. You can drive up to Lost Lakes and down to Blue Lakes and take easy dirt road back to HWY 88. Trail starts as dirt and rocks and changes to High clearance 4x4 as you ascend up and around towards Lost Lakes. Great views of the Mokelumne Wilderness and the PCT runs along and right through the road up top.

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views