Sponsored

Outer Banks Beach Club

Talking about the real OBX! Not the trim level. Forum for people planning to bring their Broncos to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, preferably the 4x4 section of course! Use this forum to organize meetups and meet fellow OBXers and their Broncos!
Orf
So, I'll be down on the OBX next week - 4/10 through 4/15. Anyone want to meet up one day for a run from Corolla to the VA line and back? Maybe some of the sand roads behind the dunes, too, looking for horses?
Show full message
broadicustomworks
broadicustomworks
Man, sounds like a great time! Unfortunately, stuck at work 4 hours west of there. Best of luck, take lots of pics, and post them out there on the forum for everyone!
TMP
TMP
We did exactly that 2 weeks ago! It was great…..the third road back in is quite the goat path in spots so was lots of fun zipping around…..and all of them showed up on the nav screen!
Orf
Orf
Had a nice day for it...
Corova.jpg

Horses 1.jpg
Orf
Orf
Airing down/up went smoothly. It was off season, though. I'd imagine the lines are much longer in season.
TMP
TMP
You guys air down? Why? I never air down unless I start to experience “difficulty” in driving…….with light weight vehicles like the Bronco airing down for sand driving in OBX is really not necessary…….been driving out there for going on 40 years and only ever air down if I’m in my F250 diesel which is heavy as hell….and then I only air down when I start to experience difficulty in driving….now if you’re going out to the beaches south of Salvo all bets are off…..that’s some soft ass sand and will eat just about anything you drive out there!
Orf
Orf
Local ordinance. All vehicles must air down.

I agree with you, though. Been driving on the sand there since the 80s. I hadn't been on the sand in a few years, and was told about the ordinance by a neighbor.
TMP
TMP
@Orf Ordinance? Where? And do they now have the “tire pressure” police going around randomly checking tire pressure? Pretty sure your neighbor is messing with you!
ACass98
ACass98
@TMP I saw online that you need to put your tire pressure down to like 18psi
TMP
TMP
They “recommend” you air down but as far as I can find there is no “ordinance” that “requires” you to air down. I’ve been driving on the beaches of OBX since 1982 and the idea that they would pass an “ordinance” that requires you to air down is not only absurd but exactly how would it be enforced???? The “Air Police”?? Random tire checks on the beach?? As I said before most of OBX beaches are drivable at full tire pressure….especially in a light weight vehicle like our Bronco’s……@ACass98
Orf
Orf
We've owned property down there since the 70's. I know more than a few locals. The way it was explained to me, if you get stuck and your tires aren't aired down, there is a fine in addition to the recovery fee. Again, just what I've been told by friends who are locals.
TMP
TMP
So you heard it from a “friend”? 🙄
Orf
Orf
@TMP No need to use quotes. Yes, from friends. Who live in Southern Shores. Also friends who live in Duck. I'm just passing along what I was told by people I trust. If they are wrong, then so be it.

I'll be me, you be you. Which you obviously are...
TMP
TMP
Well there you go! So back to your “ordinance”……let’s say you do get stuck…..anybody with a 4wd that drives on OBX has a shovel on board “just in case”……and if not they are a fool and deserve to get a “ticket”……so when you do get stuck what’s the very first thing you do? Yep…air down your tires….shovel a path at all 4 wheels and try to drive out…..so exactly how are the “air police” going to charge you for not having your tires aired down?Do they have a “device” they can look back in time to when you did get stuck??? The whole thing is absurd and if someone actually gets ticketed for it then they need to just sell their Bronco and get a Prius….😃@Orf
Orf
Orf
I guess Google can be your friend. Here is an article from 2017 that mentions the ordinance.

Link

"The Currituck County Board of Commissioners passed an ordinance May 15 to help residents and visitors like Tyree help themselves. It requires drivers on the northern beaches to first "air down.""

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views