Sponsored

Broncos Of The Carolinas

Ford Bronco enthusiast group for anyone in North or South Carolina. Connect with other local past, present, or future bronco owners and discuss anything bronco or off road related. www.BroncosOfTheCarolinas.com
V1Rotate
I know if you ask 20 people you usually get 20 different opinions but I’m trying to decide on what tire I’m going to throw on my wildtrak when my stock GY’s are worn out. I‘ll preface all this by saying I’ve actually been really impressed with the stock tires in most every condition. They’ve far exceeded my expectations but they’re wearing pretty quickly so I’ll look to go a different direction when it’s time.
I’m fully aware they’re two totally different kinds of tire but I’m honestly down to between the Trail Grappler and the Ridge Grappler in a 35x12.5x17 OR a 37. Specific to east coast terrain.. does anybody have any input on which you like better? We’ve got Ridge grapplers on my wife’s Jeep which sees a lot of pavement and we really really like them. I’m basically trying to decide if the shortcomings of the Trial grapp on-road are worth the advantage off-road vs. the opposite for the Ridge. In other words if the Ridge grappler has LESS of a disadvantage off-road than the Trail grappler has a disadvantage on-road then that’s what I’d go with.
Side note - looks like the 37” Ridge grappler is load range D which I like vs. the rougher E for on-road comfort. Might be a factor
Show full message
Reactions: Chuckles
Merc4x4
Merc4x4
stock GY's have great traction, but appear to be less than durable. I've not had any issues, but haven't used them enough to judge.
I know a lot of Jeepers who switched from BFG MT's to BFG AT's because of very poor cold rain/ice/snow traction of the MT's in the North East. I wanted to run Cooper MT's (STTPro), but since I drive a lot on pavement I chose the Cooper (hybrids) STMaxx. I was very happy with them on my previous 4x4 (gwagen).
I would say (from other's experience) the hybrids (aggressive AT's) have a greater advantage on road, than disadvantage off road.
I'm not a fan of the Ridge Grappler. From watching videos they don't seem to have great off road traction. Trail Grapplers look really good, by comparison.
My #1 choice I want to try right now is the new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's. They have some of the key features I felt made my STMaxx a great tire, namely the silicon tread compound and 3 layer sidewall where the 3rd layer is placed at an angle to the other 2. Plus the Mickey's are 3 Peak rated.
Reactions: BeerRunner
V1Rotate
V1Rotate
@Merc4x4 that’s really good input. Two others I’ve seen today recommended the STT’s also, definitely looking into them as well as the Baja Boss’s. Thanks!
Merc4x4
Merc4x4
@V1Rotate
STTPros look like they have incredible traction off road. I really wish they made a 3 Peak snow version. I think the Mickey Baja Boss AT's are closest to that.
I've seen some vids of STTPros on snowy roads. Looks scary. If I stayed in Wilmington, maybe I'd consider them.
I didn't mention it, but Cooper makes tires for MickeyT.
CliffCo
CliffCo
I feel like I remember the Goodyears having a tread warranty... which is really strange for manufacturer installed tires. Anyone else remember this with your owner's manual type stuff?
V1Rotate
V1Rotate
@CliffCo there’s some info on tire warranty in the owners manual but unless I’m interpreting it wrong it basically only covers manufacturers defects, not necessarily tread wear
CliffCo
CliffCo
@V1Rotate Ahh... gotcha. Shows how much I read...
V1Rotate
V1Rotate
Anybody have any experience with the newer Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ’s? Looks like they came out sometime last year so very little review data on them but they check a lot of boxes for me
V1Rotate
V1Rotate
To follow up on this - I ended up pulling the trigger on a set of 35x12.5 Baja Legend MTZ’s and couldn’t be happier.
Chelsgirl21
Chelsgirl21
How is the road noise with these? I think this is what I want to put on mine.
V1Rotate
V1Rotate
@Chelsgirl21 road noise was not bad! You can definitely tell you’re on a MT but I wouldn’t call it distracting. Funny story - since posting this I actually decided to go with 37’s and traded them in at Discount tire for some Toyo Open Country M/T’s. By comparison I would call the road noise “different” but not remarkably so. The Toyo’s might be a touch quieter but neither would I call loud. Traction was awesome with the Mickey’s on and off road
BeerRunner
BeerRunner
How do you like the Toyo’s?
V1Rotate
V1Rotate
@BeerRunner Love them! Not apples to apples with the Mickey Thompson’s since I went 37x12.5 with the Toyos vs 35” Mickeys but I’d go Toyo again next time. We’ve wheeled them in pretty much the exact same spots now and the Toyo’s seem to hook up slightly better on wet rock (though again being 37’s might help some). On-road the Toyo’s are quieter.. not silent - you know you’re on MT’s - but definitely hardly noticeable after getting used to them. They handle wet roads really well also and have zero noticeable tread-sway. I haven’t had them long enough for a wear report but I’ll report back. As far as balancing - they’re dead smooth, no issues there. That’s one place I’ve seen people have a nightmare with trying to go cheap on tires.. that’s an awful lot of rubber on a 17” wheel so if it’s not a high end tire it could be hard to balance.
BeerRunner
BeerRunner
Appreciate the detailed feedback report! I’m not in market for tires yet until I either find a buyer for my GY MT 315/70R17 Sasquatch tires and wheels or a really good deal. I am though taking down notes and learning from all of you here.
V1Rotate
V1Rotate
@BeerRunner I sold my stock SAS GY’s for $800 at around 4k miles on them on FB marketplace in about 12 hours + I timed it very well with a Discount Tire sale on Toyos. Maybe could have gotten a little more but it made a decent dent in the 5 Toyo’$

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views