Sponsored

Puget Sound Bronco Brigade

A group for future 2021 Bronco owners to network, meet and discuss Bronco and off road related topics.
WhatsKraken
What's everyone's off-roading experience in the group and where do you plan on exploring in the beautiful NW?

This will be my first rig, so I'm trying to learn all I can about off-roading, safety, and essential equipment. I've owned quads and dirtbikes, but never a ride that could venture far beyond maintained trails.

My first adventure will probably be Capitol Forest (Waddel Creek and Rock Candy area), since it's so close and I'm familiar enough with it from my quading and dirtbike days.
Show full message
t3n2and4
t3n2and4
I have basically never done more than logging roads. Some of them were extremely rutted, and mud went in great waves over the top of the truck. I’ve heard good things about being out on the peninsula for the state forest (Tahuya) and up by Mt. Vernon Walker Valley is supposed to be fun. There are some main forum threads on the 101 of it that I’ve started reading. 5 days a week I’ll use the thing to get to work, but I want to do something more fun on the weekend with it.
WhatsKraken
WhatsKraken
Nice. I'll have to check those places out. I haven't done much research on where to venture, but plan on it once it's closer to actually getting my Bronco. It will be mostly weekends for me as well.
Skagzoola
Skagzoola
I have little to no offroad xp, and this will be my first ever off road rig. I've managed to get away with just taking commuter cars on forest roads, but those days are done. I've spent a lot of time out in Green Water. I've never done the Naches trail, but my friend has in is 4 runner and he raves about it. I've spent a good deal of time in Little Naches campground off of 410 and there's a lot of off roading out there (the Naches trail actually spits you out in this area from Green Water.
WhatsKraken
WhatsKraken
It's nice to know I'm not the only one with little to no off-roading experience. I've never been down Naches, but it's on my list too for sure.
Skagzoola
Skagzoola
LOL! I think it's awesome that Bronco is creating a whole new generation of off roaders.
And Naches is awesome. I wish I could live out there forever. It's basically an off road campground, but it's like 10+ miles of campsites. There's a river to swim in, trails to ride on, a shooting pit and a peak called Raven's Roost that's 6,500 feet in elevation with Mt. Rainier right in your face and one hell of a view at sunset and at night (you can see the entire arm of the galaxy). The logging road to get up it is 13 miles, and I can make it 97% of the way in a Chevy Cruze, but it takes 45 minutes. I'm over all that. Can't wait to mob up it in the Bronco.
WhatsKraken
WhatsKraken
Man, that sounds pretty damn awesome! It's places like that I envision going to with my 2 yr old daughter, then camping after a day of fun off-roading. I need to start a list of places to check out. Right now I'm focused on which Bronco model and options I need/want and other essential items to have, such as recovery kits, CB or HAM radio, etc.
Joker352
I've not got much more experience than the rest of you. Old logging trails out by Elbe and some of the stuff round where skagzoola was talking bout off 410. My 98 Taco gets it done, but she's aging. Eager to go and find more places to ride!
WhatsKraken
WhatsKraken
So for those of you who have a little experience, are people pretty friendly out on the trails or is it everyone-for-themselves-like mentality? For the most part, I've read people seem pretty chill and friendly, but I've also read multiple posts where some sounded judgmental AF with a definite douchey vibe that would make someone new to this like me feel unwelcome. Regardless, I'm going to have a blast off-roading, I'm just wondering what the vibe is typically like.
View previous replies…
WhatsKraken
WhatsKraken
@Skagzoola that's good to hear and what I was thinking/hoping
Joker352
@WhatsKraken I can't say I've come across anyone that was a dick out on the trail. In tight spots, when one vehicle is going uphill and the other downhill, I've had a few encounters where we quickly and kindly figured out how to best get by each other engage in some quick chatting and go on our separate ways. I'm sure there's assholes out there, but when you're on the trail, most seem to understand that it's better to be courteous than a dick.
robepa
robepa
@WhatsKraken Off roaders yes, its very rare for people to not be nice and helpful. The trails are 95% Jeeps and Toyotas and there is often some good natured ribbing between the two groups. I commonly leave expensive gear at my camp without a worry or problems. In the fall elk hunters vary but some are not happy they have to share the forest, although I have never had a problem.
robepa
robepa
I have an 06 Tacoma, started off overlanding/camping and have got more into off roading. The Tacoma is crazy long on these trails, my Jeeps friends have been bugging me to get a Jeep but its never been my thing. When the Bronco was announced I decided to jump on that. I mostly off road at Naches, Fortune Creek, Ahtanum State Forest, etc. Basically I'm an equal opportunity whore for the PNW trails! I have the most fun on trails that are rated moderate to difficult on trails off road. Compared to a Jeep or Bronco the Tacoma makes things a grade or so harder IMO. I am looking forward to getting into something smaller and more capable!
Joker352
@robepa The Taco is a very capable off road truck, but yeah length can hinder some stuff. I've never had an issue offroad with my old Taco, but then again I've not done anything really difficult. Gonna be nice to have a truck that can outdo my Tacoma and get me places I'd not have wanted to try in it!
robepa
robepa
@Joker352 Yeah, that's a good point, its not really about being able to do harder trails, every vehicle has limits and the more capable it is typically the worse it is if you overstep those limits. I have been jealous of the Jeeps doors & windows off fun when the weather is nice. Also It will be nice to have the wheels outside of the body work, add some real rock sliders and then when you do contact something on the trail it typically isn't a big deal

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views