Sponsored

Michigan Bronco Club

Members from the Mitten and the U.P.
Philly
What are everyone's thoughts on engine block heaters? I have never had one in a car I've owned and neither has anyone I know, but I did a little digging and apparently they are beneficial to prevent unnecessary wear on the engine in any conditions below 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Obviously, we get well below that on occasion here in Michigan.

Does anyone use one of these consistently in the winter? Is it worth the $100 just to have it?
Show full message
atonge40
atonge40
Where do you live in Michigan? If I lived up north or in the UP I’d probably add it. In the Detroit area, I feel like it’s unnecessary.
Reactions: Ksm
VelocityBronco
VelocityBronco
Do you park outside at night in the winter? If so, might be worth it.
Mattwings
Mattwings
Back in the day of 10/15/20w-30/40/50w Dino oil it could be really beneficial. With 0/5w 20/30w oil flows pretty well in any of the low temps we see in much of MI. I knew people that had oil pump shafts break in cold weather with “summer” oil back in the day ??‍?. I am not sure how much difference it makes in the actual time to get to operating temperature. It is hard on an engine to run short distances, not getting up to operational temperature and shutting off again. Maybe it would help in that scenario? My wife has a 1.5mi commute and I know it is hard on the engine. I try and start her car a few minutes prior to her leaving so it has a bitter chance to “warm up”.
Philly
Philly
I park outside all winter and I am from Highland, so just north of Milford. I have remote start in my Jeep and use that for 10-15 minutes before driving it most mornings it's cold, but I was reading that even starting it to idle when it's that cold can be bad for the longevity of your engine. I might just get it because it's only $100. I plan to keep my Bronco forever if it holds up so I guess it's better to have it and never use it than wish I had it later. I think I was more wondering if anybody had one and used it regularly, or experienced any problems because they didn't.

I have had my jeep fo 7 years and it's at about 130,000 miles. At least 80,0000 of those it's been kept outside and started this way so I am thinking whatever additional wear happens can't be very significant.
Reactions: etmccaus86
etmccaus86
etmccaus86
@Philly I've been thinking the same, since mine will be parked outside (not far from you, actually).
Thinking of using it proactively in winter just to be safe. Wondering if it might have an impact on GDI dilution issues in extreme weather. And since it's only $100 and I know I couldn't easily install it myself for that price...might as well.
Reactions: Philly

Share this group

Quick Overview

Category
BRONCO CLUBS / GROUPS
Language
English (US)
Total members
Total events
Total views