Sponsored

Width

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One thing seldom discussed in comparing rigs is width. We both had the day off, had a nice
Perkins breakfast and noticed a new wrangler in the lot. Curious, I measured out (with my feet,
which my shoes are almost exactly 12 inches) about 60" width, on the actual body.

Find out later fenders are 4.25" on lets say an LJ Rubicon, and width is listed as 68.25 max, so
I was pretty close.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/wrangler-tj-stock-specifications.71/

Contrast that with

EB- 68.5
FSB-79.3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Bronco

BII-68

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Bronco_II

2019 Ranger (without mirrors) -85.8 (really, wider than a new F150, I thought it
might be a typo, but inside box width is 61.4, so you can go pick up your new jeep body
without fenders, with your 2019 Range ?? LOL!!!)

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2019/2019_Ranger.pdf

2019 F150 (without mirrors)-79.9

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-xlt/

If the new Bronco is anywhere near in width of the new ranger, yet just another reason
Wrangler does not need to worry about the new Bronco. Part of the reason the jeeps fit
almost anywhere, is the thin greenhouse (and even thinner up front, where it narrows).
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2019 Ranger (without mirrors) -85.8 (really, wider than a new F150, I thought it might be a typo, but inside box width is 61.4, so you can go pick up your new jeep body
without fenders, with your 2019 Range ?? LOL!!!)
2019 F150 (without mirrors)-79.9
That's the Ranger Raptor. She's a wide load, just an inch narrower than the F150 Raptor, and yes, several inches wider than the regular F150. You can see that the Raptor's tires ride almost entirely outside the normal fender line:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

The normal ones are 'only' 72.8" wide, ~4 more than the Wrangler, ~3 less than the 4Runner, 1 less than the Everest. I'd like to think the Bronco will be a little narrower than the Ranger (maybe an even 70"?), since it's getting unique body work anyway, and that would be advantageous when being compared to the competition.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting they put that width in there, but US is not even getting the RR, right?
Maybe that brochure is worldwide??
It's odd, sloppy, or maybe it's indicating that the Raptor package isn't that far away.

Sounds like easy money to me, since they likely wouldn't need to change much to adapt the international RR for the North American market -- which engine to use would be the biggest hurdle.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's odd, sloppy, or maybe it's indicating that the Raptor package isn't that far away.

Sounds like easy money to me, since they likely wouldn't need to change much to adapt the international RR for the North American market -- which engine to use would be the biggest hurdle.
Would think it would get the Linc 3.0 if the ranger/bronco ever get the 2.7, but back on topic.

So the body width of the bronco will probably be 10-12 inches wider than body width of wrangler.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the body width of the bronco will probably be 10-12 inches wider than body width of wrangler.
I think they'll be the same overall width, with maybe a slight advantage to the standard Bronco. If they make a Bronco Raptor, that thing could be nearly as wide as it is long. The differences in length of standard units will likely be greater.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As for the body width compared to overall width, I don't expect the tires or fender flares to protrude as much as the front of the Wrangler with it's dovetail hood, but they could certainly be equivalent to the rear fender. Most Broncos were fairly slab sided, and so are the Ford trucks, so I don't see the new Bronco diverging wildly from that -- but it still leaves room for the body width to be ~66".

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As for the body width compared to overall width, I don't expect the tires or fender flares to protrude as much as the front of the Wrangler with it's dovetail hood, but they could certainly be equivalent to the rear fender. Most Broncos were fairly slab sided, and so are the Ford trucks, so I don't see the new Bronco diverging wildly from that -- but it still leaves room for the body width to be ~66".
You think the new bronco BODY will be 2.5" thinner than an EB?
I don't see it if the ranger is 73ish. The reason an EB could be so thin was
due to the distance between frame rails, which was only 30" (outside to outside).
Jeeps are in the 33" range.

The new ranger doesn't have removable flares, correct?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The overall width of the Ranger and Wrangler are essentially the same (73" Ford, 74" Wrangler), and it is probable that the Bronco will have something very close to the Ranger. How much of that is fender or wheel on the Ranger ... go measure one and tell us.

Exactly what point is being measured on which model is either the wheel or the fender in all cases most likely. I don't expect the Bronco to differ wildly from previous Ford truck or Bronco designs, so the fender on standard units will stand out some marginal amount from the plane of the doors and the belt line, ~1-2", and be sheet metal.

Other than built offroad rigs that are ready to hurl rocks and mud at the body when the tires spin, you don't see a lot of Wranglers without fenders either, so saying that the cab is a cramped 60" like a compact car doesn't really sound like a sales advantage when the wheels are out at 74" anyway on a standard factory unit -- most people don't give a **** about squeezing between rocks/trees off camber, so they're probably going to appreciate that extra 8" inches or whatever inside the cab when it comes to sales potential. Just look at the market to see the truth of that, the most popular vehicles are gigiantic full size trucks with Lazy Boy's for seats and a center console at least a foot wide.

People going far offroad are probably going to add 12x37+" tires, and rock sliders, that will bulge out on either model. Maybe the Wrangler will hold a few more hardcore enthusiasts who might actually make use of a more compact cab in tight off camber offroad situations, but most people will sit in them and just think the Bronco/Ranger are more comfortable. Because all vehicles taper as they rise in height, in most trail situations the width at the top of the wheel is what will matter, and the standard Ranger/Bronco are narrower, slightly.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The overall width of the Ranger and Wrangler are essentially the same (73" Ford, 74" Wrangler)
My first post (first paragraph) talked about the actual body width.
You can bring up all kinds of other topics, flare and tire width,
Bolt on flares can be made very stout, unlike sheet metal and
offroad tires rarely get significantly damaged from repeatedly
bumping or dragging them into anything.

Sales due to interior volume or comfyness is another point that has
nothing to do with the topic at hand. Add in that the entire top comes off
the wrangler, revealing at least some kind of cage, vs the bronco supposedly
having removable panels (now maybe the whole bronco "top" comes off in enough
pieces that you end up with no top).

It's just sad that Ford won't build at least one rig that puts offroading first.
Apparently they sell, and that is yet another reason the Wrangler will remain
the choice for hard core crawlers.
Sponsored