Sponsored

Would you be happy with these 2 engine choices at Launch?

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new 2020 Explorer will have two engine at launch. Would you be happy with these as a choice for the Bronco?

3.0-liter V6 estimated 365 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque,
Or
2.3-liter four estimated 300 hp and 310 lb.-ft. of torque.

Both of these engines are being paired with the 10 speed automatic transmission for the Explorer

I would be happy with the 3.0-Liter V6 because that is crazy good Torque.. I feel like the second option is a tuned version of the Ranger 2.3-liter that is already in production.

https://jalopnik.com/2020-ford-explorer-gets-giant-touchscreen-st-version-1831624020

If you compare these to the Wrangler they are superior in HP and Torque.

3.6-liter V-6 with 285 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque(8 Speed Automatic or 6 Speed Manual)
2.0-liter turbo-four with 270 hp and 295 lb-ft is optional and paired exclusively with the eight-speed automatic.

We will see if the Bronco will offer a manual.
Sponsored

AUcruiser100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CTS-V coupe 6M, 2003 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Isn't that rumored Getrag 7 spd manual trans rated for 400 ft lbs?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would definitely like to see a 3.0L engine offered. But, realistically I don't think we'll see anything other than the 2.3L. As the Bronco rides on the same platform as the Ranger, I don't think Ford will spend the money for an extra engine offering.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The new 2020 Explorer will have two engine at launch. Would you be happy with these as a choice for the Bronco?

3.0-liter V6 estimated 365 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque,
Or
2.3-liter four estimated 300 hp and 310 lb.-ft. of torque.

Both of these engines are being paired with the 10 speed automatic transmission for the Explorer ...
I have considered the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost to be Ford's best V6 option for the Ranger and Bronco for a long time. Most people aren't even aware that it exists, because until now it had really only been used in a couple of Lincoln models. It is part of the same Nano "design family" as the 2.7L V6 Ecoboost -- so they're compacted graphite iron blocks that can handle high compression if you want to tune it for high performance.

If these were the only choices for the Bronco the first year, I'd take the 3.0 and be pleased with numbers like those -- or some lower numbers in a tune meant for durability/service. If I had reason to think the 5.0L V8 would be coming I might wait, depending on the specifics of how the 3.0 was implemented.

I would not be interested in a 2.3, regardless of how impressive it might look on paper. To get such a small displacement engine to put out power numbers like that there is a lot of electronic manipulation, and a tendency toward "lightswitch" throttle response which is terrible in situations where you want control.

Isn't that rumored Getrag 7 spd manual trans rated for 400 ft lbs?
405 is the torque spec I've read about for the 7-speed manual MT-88. The high performance version of the 3.0L Ecoboost for the Lincoln Aviator is expected to be 400, and there are F150s with the 5.0L V8 Coyote at 395 and 400. If the Bronco is meant to be a "performance" or "lifestyle" model, it might get the manual along with some Mustangs.

It would be nice to see a very low first gear for the Bronco, and with 7 to work with you have that option and still have enough others for some highway/overdrive gears.

I would definitely like to see a 3.0L engine offered. But, realistically I don't think we'll see anything other than the 2.3L. As the Bronco rides on the same platform as the Ranger, I don't think Ford will spend the money for an extra engine offering.
The 2.3 I4 being the only option for the Ranger is weird. Especially since Ford just made a big deal a year ago about how they were offering five different engines for the F150 because choices mattered so much to their customers. I have a suspicion that either a V6 will be coming soon for the Ranger, or there is something weird about how the sheet metal for the model was designed when it was originally made for international markets -- because AFAIK it has only been offered with inline engines since it was first build back in 2010.

That would not be a limitation of the chassis, but of the sheet metal -- they have put much larger and more powerful engines on weaker platforms. And it isn't a longitudinal limit, because it had the inline 5 cylinder 3.2L diesel in it.

Ford has been pretty stingy with the Ranger development budget, and I think that has a lot to do with it being a 9 year old design. I would not be surpised if we saw a new Ranger model in 3-5 years instead of a refresh/update. That kind of limit need not apply at all to the Bronco, because from the shapes we've seen it could be an entirely new design from the ground up at launch.

OP
OP
78CreamBrownie

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have considered the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost to be Ford's best V6 option for the Ranger and Bronco for a long time. Most people aren't even aware that it exists, because until now it had really only been used in a couple of Lincoln models. It is part of the same Nano "design family" as the 2.7L V6 Ecoboost -- so they're compacted graphite iron blocks that can handle high compression if you want to tune it for high performance.
From Wikipedia

3.0 L
A 3 L V6 twin-turbocharged gasoline direct-injection engine was released in 2016 that produces between 350 and 400 horsepower. Currently, the 3.0 L is mostly exclusive to the Lincoln line-up to include the MKZ(which replaces the 3.7 L Ti-VCT Cyclone V6 engine the previous year), the Continental, and the upcoming 2020 Aviator and Ford Explorer ST. The engine offers Dynamic Torque Vectoring with available AWD in selected models.

Applications
  • 350 hp (261 kW) @ 5500 rpm, 400 lbâ‹…ft (542 Nâ‹…m) @ 2750 rpm (Front-wheel drive only)
    • 2017– Lincoln MKZ
  • 400 hp (298 kW) @ 5750 rpm, 400 lbâ‹…ft (542 Nâ‹…m) @ 2750 rpm (All-wheel drive only)
    • 2017– Lincoln Continental
    • 2017– Lincoln MKZ
    • 2020– Lincoln Aviator
    • 2020– Ford Explorer ST
If the Bronco could get this option it would be in some good company.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm sure either of those engines is fine, but no, I wouldn't be "happy" with them. I would be happy if the 5.0 was an option, though. I really wouldn't even care about the displacement so much as just wanting a V8 option in the Bronco.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sure either of those engines is fine, but no, I wouldn't be "happy" with them. I would be happy if the 5.0 was an option, though. I really wouldn't even care about the displacement so much as just wanting a V8 option in the Bronco.
Putting lots of smiles on peoples faces, and showing up the competition are some of the best reasons to offer a V8 in the Bronco. Not every model needs to be intractably saddled with practicality or futurism.

If a prototype were to roll out with a V8 rumbling under the hood, you can bet it would mean lots of free and positive press for Ford.

AUcruiser100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CTS-V coupe 6M, 2003 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are plenty of Jeepers who wish FCA would throw a Hemi in the JL/JT. AEV charged 2 arms and a leg for a Hemi powered Brute and they sold. I think Ford could dig into JL sales by offering a V8. I'm not saying the 3.0L isn't a good option, it definitely is and would be popular, but a V8 would 1-up the JL for sure.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Pinto, 1995 Mustang GT, 2001 Ranger Edge 2WD, 2016 Transit Connect

If these were the only choices for the Bronco the first year, I'd take the 3.0 and be pleased with numbers like those -- or some lower numbers in a tune meant for durability/service. If I had reason to think the 5.0L V8 would be coming I might wait, depending on the specifics of how the 3.0 was implemented.

I would not be interested in a 2.3, regardless of how impressive it might look on paper. To get such a small displacement engine to put out power numbers like that there is a lot of electronic manipulation, and a tendency toward "lightswitch" throttle response which is terrible in situations where you want control.

405 is the torque spec I've read about for the 7-speed manual MT-88. The high performance version of the 3.0L Ecoboost for the Lincoln Aviator is expected to be 400, and there are F150s with the 5.0L V8 Coyote at 395 and 400. If the Bronco is meant to be a "performance" or "lifestyle" model, it might get the manual along with some Mustangs.

It would be nice to see a very low first gear for the Bronco, and with 7 to work with you have that option and still have enough others for some highway/overdrive gears.

The 2.3 I4 being the only option for the Ranger is weird. Especially since Ford just made a big deal a year ago about how they were offering five different engines for the F150 because choices mattered so much to their customers. I have a suspicion that either a V6 will be coming soon for the Ranger, or there is something weird about how the sheet metal for the model was designed when it was originally made for international markets -- because AFAIK it has only been offered with inline engines since it was first build back in 2010.

That would not be a limitation of the chassis, but of the sheet metal -- they have put much larger and more powerful engines on weaker platforms. And it isn't a longitudinal limit, because it had the inline 5 cylinder 3.2L diesel in it.

Ford has been pretty stingy with the Ranger development budget, and I think that has a lot to do with it being a 9 year old design. I would not be surpised if we saw a new Ranger model in 3-5 years instead of a refresh/update. That kind of limit need not apply at all to the Bronco, because from the shapes we've seen it could be an entirely new design from the ground up at launch.
I think you might be a little near sighted in your observations on the 2.3L.
I installed an SVO 2.3L Lima turbo engine in my Pinto a few decades ago. It was all cast iron with only one cam with fixed timing and only EEC-IV electronics.
It was a MONSTER above 3000RPM and scoffed at 150MPH while still strongly accelerating. It also proved to be "Bullitt" proof.
Admittedly the car only weighs about 2300 pounds.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think you might be a little near sighted in your observations on the 2.3L.
I installed an SVO 2.3L Lima turbo engine in my Pinto a few decades ago. It was all cast iron with only one cam with fixed timing and only EEC-IV electronics.
It was a MONSTER above 3000RPM and scoffed at 150MPH while still strongly accelerating. It also proved to be "Bullitt" proof.
Admittedly the car only weighs about 2300 pounds.
I don't expect the bronco to me much under 4000 lbs.
We had a loaner with the 2.3 in an explorer and it was
an order of power slower than our 2.0 escape.
Very doggy really. Not a big fan of that 2.3 myself.

Sponsored

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Low end torque is the key........400 lb ft of torque is great just make sure it has the low end torque.
Still like the 5.0 Coyote.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Low end torque is the key........400 lb ft of torque is great just make sure it has the low end torque.
Still like the 5.0 Coyote.
Torque at the wheels is important, but that can be had with gearing. Engine torque is meaningless.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Torque at the wheels is important, but that can be had with gearing. Engine torque is meaningless.
It can be partially compensated with gearing, but that's about it. Why do you think electrics are all the rage
and most companies are going turbo? LOW end torque. Even the 10 spd GT I just drove was surprisingly soft on
the low end. My 14 GT (6A) would barely spin a 235 AS tire in the summer on dry pavement, hence why PD
blowers are so popular on the coyotes (and one of the reasons I have one now)...................
Sponsored