Sponsored

Raj Nair: New Bronco Will Live Up To Its Heritage; Be "Different" Than The Ford Everest

Administrator

Heritage
Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

RajNair_6399_HR.jpg

In the face of recent rumors from an alleged Ford designer that the 2020/2021 Bronco would be a "facelifted" Ford Everest, Raj Nair told members of the press at the 2017 North America International Auto Show that the Bronco will be more than a re-badged Everest.

The Ford Chief Technical Officer and Executive Vice President of Product Development reassured us that the next generation Ford Bronco would be different than the Everest and that it "will live up to the heritage" of the original as a "Capable and confident all-rounder," indicating that a shortened wheelbase in keeping with the original Bronco's boxy style could be possible.

For more on Raj Nair's comments regarding the new Bronco and Ranger:

While the Bronco will utilise the Ranger's basic chassis and other major components, the rest of the car will be designed and engineered in the US where it will also be built.

Ford's Chief Technical Officer and Executive Vice President of Product Development, Raj Nair, was reluctant to reveal any further details on the Bronco when quizzed by Australian media at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show.

But he scuppered speculation the car would be a re-badged version of the Everest, claiming the car will be different and "will live up to the heritage" of the original as a "capable and confident all-rounder", indicating that a shortened wheelbase in keeping with the original Bronco's boxy style could be possible.

Whether it will be offered in a three-door body style, like the original, has yet to be revealed. Nair was also reluctant to confirm the new Bronco's availability for right-hand drive markets such as Australia.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/64554/ford-bronco-confirmed-for-2020-revival
UPDATED WITH RAJ NAIR COMMENTS TO AUTOLINE:

[2:40] - Bronco segment

RN: The Bronco - a legendary nameplate. To bring a vehicle that’s really focused on off-roading capability back in the lineup is going to be a lot of fun.

Q. There’s been two Broncos over the years. The original one is very Jeep like and compact, did terrific in offroad racing. And then there’s at the opposite end of the spectrum the big Bronco that everybody knows from the OJ chase. Where’s this new Bronco going to fit in?

RN: That big Bronco we really replaced that with the Expedition - that’s what fills that spot right now. This new Bronco will be based off the Ranger platform and so it’s going to be a similar sized vehicle to the global Ranger which is a bit bigger than the Ranger we used to have in the U.S. so I would say it’s kind of in between what you saw in that really big Bronco and the smaller Bronco.

Q. You also have a global vehicle called the Everest. Is that what the new Bronco is?

RN: No, it’s a separate vehicle. It’ll be an incremental vehicle from the Everest. The Everest serves a lot of off-road capability in the space the Explorer serves here in the U.S. — but a body on frame construction with a lot more off road capability for the rest of the world. This Bronco is completely unique from that Everest.

Q. It’s body on frame?

RN: It is body on frame and again, focusing on that off road capability.

Q. A lot of people have wondered why has the auto industry let Jeep just run free. Is the Bronco going to be competition for the Jeep Wrangler?

RN: That segment is getting a little more crowded seeing the success of the Jeep so certainly that will be one of the competitive vehicles that we’ll be targeting but I think the Bronco has got a pretty good name on its own and people have an idea of what a Bronco should be. Certainly we have an idea of what a Bronco should be and we’re going to be looking forward to bringing that to our customers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dhg1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If it looked like the rendering, I would buy 5 of them regardless of off road capability.

Bronco Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2017 F 250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One in every color!

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here's a question since we all love the 6g render. Could they actually refresh the Everest to look like that? I know the angle of the pillars and such are all wrong but would the fact that it's body on frame make it possible. Design a different body around the T6 platform.

dhg1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here's a question since we all love the 6g render. Could they actually refresh the Everest to look like that? I know the angle of the pillars and such are all wrong but would the fact that it's body on frame make it possible. Design a different body around the T6 platform.
Its not impossible, its just a matter of budget. Too much of a change will require new crash testing, but seeing as how the cars aren't sold here currently they may need crash testing anyways. I think they have to buy new tooling for the plant anyways as well since they will be built in the states for the first time. Just comes down to engineering time and resources I guess.

Since its body on frame, they could theoretically throw a whole new body at it and not touch the frame.

Sponsored
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it looked like the rendering, I would buy 5 of them regardless of off road capability.
Agree, if Ford makes it look like the rendering, the demand will outstrip capacity at least for the first model year or two. However, since I can only afford one, color will be the biggest decision I would have to make :D

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Its not impossible, its just a matter of budget. Too much of a change will require new crash testing, but seeing as how the cars aren't sold here currently they may need crash testing anyways. I think they have to buy new tooling for the plant anyways as well since they will be built in the states for the first time. Just comes down to engineering time and resources I guess.

Since its body on frame, they could theoretically throw a whole new body at it and not touch the frame.
That's my thinking too. The bean counters for sure just want to release nothing more than an Everest with a different front end. Let's hope they are smart enough to realize that will doom the Bronco.

Both Bronco and Ranger are going to be "new" vehicles in the US and need all the new crash testing, certification, etc. Might as well use the opportunity to do a clean design. They don't have to do it completely ground up, just use a shortened T6 and give it a totally new body, same as the Troller, but better..

Bronco Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2017 F 250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree, if Ford makes it look like the rendering, the demand will outstrip capacity at least for the first model year or two. However, since I can only afford one, color will be the biggest decision I would have to make :D
If this happens, Unfortunately it would Price a lot of people out of the Market. Prices would be 10k over sticker "what ever sticker ends up being." Look at the new Raptors now. Around these parts they want nearly 90K almost 20K over sticker.
I've Personally never paid Sticker price or above for any Vehicle, however there's always a first time for everything. If they make it look like this rendering, I'm in deep Shit!

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is damage control folks. It will be an Everest with a different motor (likely 2.7 ecoboost) and redone front/rear and updated interior. Nair chose his words very carefully and that was done on purpose. Ford is a global manufacturer and has to leverage its costs.

Sponsored

Bronco_CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TIE Fighter
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Verbal confirmation that the Bronco WILL NOT be an Everest clone...

OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Heritage
Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Verbal confirmation that the Bronco WILL NOT be an Everest clone...

Thanks for posting, added it to the OP. Here is a transcript for anyone that has not watched the video. Raj has made it clear the new Bronco will be distinct from the Everest and repeatedly emphasized the vehicle's focus is on off road capability.

[2:40] - Bronco segment

RN: The Bronco - a legendary nameplate. To bring a vehicle that’s really focused on off-roading capability back in the lineup is going to be a lot of fun.

Q. There’s been two Broncos over the years. The original one is very Jeep like and compact, did terrific in offroad racing. And then there’s at the opposite end of the spectrum the big Bronco that everybody knows from the OJ chase. Where’s this new Bronco going to fit in?

RN: That big Bronco we really replaced that with the Expedition - that’s what fills that spot right now. This new Bronco will be based off the Ranger platform and so it’s going to be a similar sized vehicle to the global Ranger which is a bit bigger than the Ranger we used to have in the U.S. so I would say it’s kind of in between what you saw in that really big Bronco and the smaller Bronco.

Q. You also have a global vehicle called the Everest. Is that what the new Bronco is?

RN: No, it’s a separate vehicle. It’ll be an incremental vehicle from the Everest. The Everest serves a lot of off-road capability in the space the Explorer serves here in the U.S. — but a body on frame construction with a lot more off road capability for the rest of the world. This Bronco is completely unique from that Everest.

Q. It’s body on frame?

RN: It is body on frame and again, focusing on that off road capability.

Q. A lot of people have wondered why has the auto industry let Jeep just run free. Is the Bronco going to be competition for the Jeep Wrangler?

RN: That segment is getting a little more crowded seeing the success of the Jeep so certainly that will be one of the competitive vehicles that we’ll be targeting but I think the Bronco has got a pretty good name on its own and people have an idea of what a Bronco should be. Certainly we have an idea of what a Bronco should be and we’re going to be looking forward to bringing that to our customers.

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
"RN: That big Bronco we really replaced that with the Expedition"

Wait What??

So the Expedition which is 27" longer than the Bronco ever was, has two extra doors, extra seats, etc fills the market the Bronco left?
I think this guy doesn't know cars. Can we get someone that actually knows the market and what they're talking about please?

Chute

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for posting. I feel better after Ford's comments. I'm confused by what Raj said about the size however. Isn't the T6 Ranger larger than both the original bronco and full size bronco? How can it be "in between" if that's the case?
Sponsored