Things I feel are missing/or needed on a Ranger

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Moonroof, Yes. My Sport tracs with moonroof and large power down rear windows were the ultimate setup.

Unless Im misunderstanding you, my tailgate locks with the rest of the doors. Damped, Ya I get it, but Ive never had it so I dont miss it, and that is one light tailgated!!

My pen is in the tray, as like you I tried a thicker pen first, lol....maybe my tire gauge will fit? hmmm
Sponsored

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
A bigger rear window opening or one that slides down like the Tundra (or is it the Titan). I would have made two trips today in the Ranger or needed to drag that trailer.

IMG_20190118_093349.jpg

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
A bigger rear window opening or one that slides down like the Tundra (or is it the Titan). I would have made two trips today in the Ranger or needed to drag that trailer.

IMG_20190118_093349.jpg
That picture is really making me miss the Dakota. What a great truck that was.

Alpinist

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I noticed a few little quirks today with mine that are kind of a head scratcher:

1) No boost gauge? Why on earth would there not be a boost gauge available in the cluster?
2) The sliding rear glass is pretty much useless without power
3) I got the bed utility package, and the rubber grommets in the bedliner are nearly impossible to pop back into place
4) The right side of the gauge cluster in the Lariat is useless. Would much rather have had an analog tach or (see above) a boost gauge there.
5) Rear seat needs a 50/50 split to access the under seat storage. If you've got someone back there, or a bunch of gear back there, you've got to unload the truck to get to the storage cubbies.

Excellent truck otherwise!

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Full digital instrument cluster like the high end Explorer/MKC/MKZ. I can't stand that Ford loves the center speedo cluster so much. It's crap. I did that conversion on my 17 Fusion Sport. I'm going to try the conversion when I pick up my truck. Heated steering wheel. I'm going to see if I can retrofit one from an Explorer.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Some have already said these but here's my list:

1. A integrated brake controller with the Tow package (or at least an option for one)
2. Larger bed option with the Crew cab. 6' would compete with the other mid-size trucks.
3. A flat fold down back seat. It's ridiculous that it folds down and doesn't lay flat. Completely useless as designed now.
4. Ventilated front seats. Those of us in southern states appreciate that option.
5. Dampered tailgate.
6. 2.7 engine option
7. Moon roof option

Because of these flaws (my opinion) and option omissions, I'll be waiting for MY 2020 to see if they make any changes. The ones that really are keeping me out now is the 5' bed (Crewcab), integrated brake controller and flat fold down back seat. I use every bit of the back seat and bed and recreation tow with trailers with brakes.

Currently have a 2014 F150 FX4 and I use it as a daily driver and off roader. I need a "truck" that can manuver in town and parking garages.

It's too bad cause I really wanted one.

IMG_20190121_162235468_HDR.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Some have already said these but here's my list:

1. A integrated brake controller with the Tow package (or at least an option for one)
2. Larger bed option with the Crew cab. 6' would compete with the other mid-size trucks.
3. A flat fold down back seat. It's ridiculous that it folds down and doesn't lay flat. Completely useless as designed now.
4. Ventilated front seats. Those of us in southern states appreciate that option.
5. Dampered tailgate.
6. 2.7 engine option
7. Moon roof option

Because of these flaws (my opinion) and option omissions, I'll be waiting for MY 2020 to see if they make any changes. The ones that really are keeping me out now is the 5' bed (Crewcab), integrated brake controller and flat fold down back seat. I use every bit of the back seat and bed and recreation tow with trailers with brakes.

Currently have a 2014 F150 FX4 and I use it as a daily driver and off roader. I need a "truck" that can manuver in town and parking garages.

It's too bad cause I really wanted one.

IMG_20190121_162235468_HDR.jpg
The lack of a 6' bed was a big compromise for me - I'm planning on mitigating that compromise with a bed extender - since the bed is significantly deeper than my current Ranger, I figure that it will hold more even though it is shorter - for stuff that is longer, I'm hoping the bed extender will help with that.

The rear seat does seem to be somewhat of a miss - that with the lack of underseat storage was a disappointment to me, but for me I think I can deal with it.

The dampened tailgate is easily fixed with an aftermarket dampener like this:

https://www.carid.com/dee-zee/tailgate-assist-mpn-dz43206.html?singleid=1568176171

It will be interesting to see what changes happen in the 2020 MY.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
The lack of a 6' bed was a big compromise for me - I'm planning on mitigating that compromise with a bed extender - since the bed is significantly deeper than my current Ranger, I figure that it will hold more even though it is shorter - for stuff that is longer, I'm hoping the bed extender will help with that.

The rear seat does seem to be somewhat of a miss - that with the lack of underseat storage was a disappointment to me, but for me I think I can deal with it.

The dampened tailgate is easily fixed with an aftermarket dampener like this:

https://www.carid.com/dee-zee/tailgate-assist-mpn-dz43206.html?singleid=1568176171

It will be interesting to see what changes happen in the 2020 MY.
The bed is important to me. My current truck has a 6 1/2' bed and I use all of it when I go camping. I guess I could live with a 5' but it'd be tough.

Ford designers should be embarrassed with the back seat flat fold. What we're they thinking.

Regarding the dampered tailgate, I have an after market now and will certainly get another.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
The bed is important to me. My current truck has a 6 1/2' bed and I use all of it when I go camping. I guess I could live with a 5' but it'd be tough.

Ford designers should be embarrassed with the back seat flat fold. What we're they thinking.

Regarding the dampered tailgate, I have an after market now and will certainly get another.
Yeah, the 5' bed was a BIG compromise for me - but when I looked at alternatives, for me it really was the best option.

The back seat is really an odd thing - I'd love to know why it was done that way. That and why they didn't do a 60/40 split. Seems really odd - kind of like the decision to not include the engine cover except on the Lariat.

RodSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dakota
After looking at available inventory the past few days i think the tow package should be a standard feature. Most of the trucks showing up around me do not have the tow package on them. That's like buying a new Mustang GT and they handicap it with 13" bias ply tires. Or buying a super safe Volvo and finding out you have to option the brakes and seat belts separately.

Even the Ridgeline includes the receiver and trailer pre-wire on every single model as standard.

rangerdrive

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I'm sure some of these have been brought up here but it doesn't hurt if Ford happens to read this site to see the same concerns brought up multiple times. For what I paid for Ranger, for the top trim level and presumably all the bells and whistles, there are a few things that I was surprised it did not have. They are minor things but things you would expect to get when paying $40k+ for a vehicle. Seat memory settings. My 2013 Escape SEL (not even the highest trim level Escape, mind you) has this feature. When I or my wife use our key, the seat automatically moves to our preferred seating position. I thought this was a pretty common feature in this day and age. The Escape has 3 memory positions that you can change to at the push of a button. In the Ranger we have to readjust the seats and mirrors manually every time.

Another small thing, but annoying not to have is automatic down on any of the windows besides the drivers window. Why is this not included? Our Escape has auto up and down on all four window controls from the driver's seat. I do not believe (I'll need to double check) that even the Ranger driver window has an auto up feature.

Someone else definitely mentioned this, but why no available moon roof option? I don't particularly need or want one but it would seem to be an option some people would want.

Also, is there a mechanical reason that the auto start/stop can't remember it's last position after you shut down the vehicle? The climate control features, including seat heaters, remain at the last position the next time you start the vehicle but auto start/stop has to be turned off every time if you don't like it. I realize there are work arounds but still, I'd like to not have to resort to that. ASS (lol) is annoying.

The leather doesn't feel anywhere near the quality of what is in my dad's F-150 King Ranch and is comparable to the "Pleather" that was in my old Focus Titanium. Leaves something to be desired for sure.

I'm sure there will be other annoyances that I will discover along the way, but these are things I wish were different here at the first 500 miles of driving it. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck there are just some things that I would like to see included near the top price point.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Also, is there a mechanical reason that the auto start/stop can't remember it's last position after you shut down the vehicle? The climate control features, including seat heaters, remain at the last position the next time you start the vehicle but auto start/stop has to be turned off every time if you don't like it. I realize there are work arounds but still, I'd like to not have to resort to that. ASS (lol) is annoying.
You have the government to thank for that. If a setting can be turned off completely, manufactures can't claim fuel economy benefits from it. Which is why every single manufacturer has a button to override it, instead of a cluster setting to turn it off permanently. I believe its the same thing for traction control and whatnot - if you can permanently disable it, then they can't use it in safety testing.

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
I'm sure some of these have been brought up here but it doesn't hurt if Ford happens to read this site to see the same concerns brought up multiple times. For what I paid for Ranger, for the top trim level and presumably all the bells and whistles, there are a few things that I was surprised it did not have. They are minor things but things you would expect to get when paying $40k+ for a vehicle. Seat memory settings. My 2013 Escape SEL (not even the highest trim level Escape, mind you) has this feature. When I or my wife use our key, the seat automatically moves to our preferred seating position. I thought this was a pretty common feature in this day and age. The Escape has 3 memory positions that you can change to at the push of a button. In the Ranger we have to readjust the seats and mirrors manually every time.

Another small thing, but annoying not to have is automatic down on any of the windows besides the drivers window. Why is this not included? Our Escape has auto up and down on all four window controls from the driver's seat. I do not believe (I'll need to double check) that even the Ranger driver window has an auto up feature.

Someone else definitely mentioned this, but why no available moon roof option? I don't particularly need or want one but it would seem to be an option some people would want.

The leather doesn't feel anywhere near the quality of what is in my dad's F-150 King Ranch and is comparable to the "Pleather" that was in my old Focus Titanium. Leaves something to be desired for sure.

I'm sure there will be other annoyances that I will discover along the way, but these are things I wish were different here at the first 500 miles of driving it. Don't get me wrong, I love the truck there are just some things that I would like to see included near the top price point.
I'm starting to see this trend a lot in all car manufacturers. It seems like regardless if you get the top trim of a particular model, they still remove certain features and options to entice you just to jump up to the bigger more expensive model, ie Ranger vs F150.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Of all the things I've seen listed, the only thing that I'd like most if I could make one change is a more useful center console area. One thing I've really liked in the cabs of almost any truck is the massive center console area with the many big storage areas, power ports, organizers, cup holders, etc. The Ranger looks too much like a regular sedan or compact SUV in this regard. Move the shifter to the column, give it a knob like the Ram or make it smaller in the center and make the whole armrest to dash area a useful area and I would forget about sliding windows, moon roofs, etc. My Fiesta has no storage spaces. I want my next vehicle to go the distance in this regard. The new Ram is just next level when it comes to storage spaces.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree I'd like a nice green color like I had on my 2002 Focus ZX3
2002FOCUS2.jpg
I saw this picture on the internet...love the color.
The other pics are aftermarket from the LAAuto Show

EE714017-3488-45C3-825D-08B04D118B34.jpeg

9C0ADF8C-CD9A-4702-8698-D6AB3FA9AD31.jpeg

FF523814-547F-4EF6-92BC-1DF8C9BCBD91.jpeg

EF1675F1-4AA6-42C4-8525-D6A628D30B57.jpeg
Sponsored