Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A poster (whose account has now been deleted) going by the name FordDesignBurner has been making headlines this morning in a Reddit AMA.

Reddit moderators have apparently verified the alleged "junior" designer's identity and employment at Ford, which while making this information more believable, should still be taken with a grain of salt, this being the internet and all.

The poster has dropped a lot of detailed information about the upcoming new Ford Bronco and Ford Ranger.

[Note: some of this info matches up with info we published from our own sources back in February 2016 - see here]

In the thread, the poster states (quotes below):

Ford Bronco:
  • It will be very similar to the current Ford Everest.
  • It will essentially be a rebadged Everest but there will be differences. It will be a 4 door. I definitely can't discuss pricing in detail but it will be competitive with the Colorado and cheaper than a similar F-150.
  • We are benchmarking the Wrangler Unlimited for design considerations on the Bronco, but the doors/roof/windshield won’t move.
  • Both vehicles will likely have similar off road capabilities in their off-road oriented trim level. One of our most important considerations is to prevent one vehicle from cannibalizing sales from another vehicle in the Ford lineup. This is why the Bronco will take an extra year to be released, we're having a bit of a tough time fitting it into the SUV lineup, which by 2020 will have 6 other SUVs already.
  • To an extent, this is what we have to work with. Ford isn't ready to sink money into a brand new platform until we've seen that a light truck can be profitable. The Bronco is a different story, any SUV will sell like hotcakes. The extent of our autonomy is to give the truck a facelift and make the interior American-friendly.
  • Not really [when asked whether it will have any retro styling cues], both vehicles will be based on current production models.
  • The roof will stay in place

Ford Ranger:
  • It will be body on frame!
  • It will be a facelifted T6. T6 is the current generation of the Ranger. Unfortunately, market research indicates that a vehicle the same size as the 4th-gen Ranger will flop. That may be what you and I as Ranger owners want, but our target market does not want a truck that size. That may be a part of the next generation of Ranger, but for now we are only doing a facelift.
  • Drivetrain combinations are still being considered. We are watching the Colorado's MT and Diesel sales, as well as monitoring fallout from VW's Dieselgate, amid fears that family-oriented diesel vehicles are 'tainted'.
  • This truck will be a competitor to the Colorado. Our design team does not have the autonomy to change the hood, companies have already been contracted to produce the current design of most body panels. The new truck will be a facelifted T6. Our biggest consideration is preventing cannibalism of sales from the F-150.
  • Unfortunately, it will never resemble 4th-Gen Rangers. We have done extensive market research and that size of truck will simply not be profitable. By 2011 the Ranger's sales were being entirely propped up by fleet purchases, same as the Crown Victoria. People smarter than me that get paid more than me have made all of these decisions already, and I say this with a heavy heart, as a 4th-gen owner myself.
  • The process for developing trim levels is that we design it fully loaded, and then the guys from sales come in and start stripping features to meet a series of price points. Each price point is a trim level. For certain trim levels they then send it back to Design to be "dressed up", in order to look more aggressive (for off-road oriented trims) or expensive (for luxury oriented trims)
  • Vinyl floor is probably not a likely option unless we have a fleet trim level. Tilt steering will be standard, though!
  • We're working on a few different designs for market testing! One does resemble the F-150.
  • Crew Cab with the 5 foot bed will be an option, but Super Cab with a 6 foot bed will also be an option.
  • It will be much bigger than the 4th-gen Ranger, it will be a facelifted T6 Ranger. It is about the same size as the 10th Generation F-150.
  • It will be facelifted, new headlights, grille, and front fascia. Corporate has mandated that the major body panels go unchanged.
Sponsored

Bronco Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2017 F 250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope this is all false, with the exception of a 4 door.
I was hoping for a removable top and a lot of retro!

B2C

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good to hear they are benchmarking the Wrangler Unlimited but what is the point if they are not going to design it with removable roof/doors? A facelifted Everest is not what I (or any of us) wanted. Why not scrap some of the other 6 SUV's (do we really need THAT many) and put out a real Bronco worthy of the name.

BigTwuk NY

Threads
Reaction score
I hope it looks like the one ford6g has on their page i wouldnt mind it with 2 extra doors i miss my 94 325000 miles n died for good

FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Chevy Colorado starts at $20k, that would be very very competitive against the Wrangler (starts at $24k, and probably even higher after the new 2018 model) . Just don't screw up the rest of it. I'm not liking what I am hearing so far.

Sponsored

B2C

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have no idea why they didn't just take work from the Troller T4? It's much closer to the spirit of the Bronco than the Everest ever could be. :mad:

Bronco Bob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 1994 Bronco, 2009 F150, 2017 F 250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford is proud to announce the all new Breverest !

MR P's NEEDS A 6G

I was excited to see the rendering of the new ford bronco 6G so much so that I would consider buying it!! but now hearing that it will be an Everest based truck ....bla. I hate to say, I would rather buy a jeep...

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the Bronco is nothing more than a re-badged Everest it will be a non-starter for me. Really hoping for something more aligned to the original. The Everest looks like a Toyota

BigTwuk NY

Threads
Reaction score
I say get rid of the Navigator L the Expedition L and the Flex bring back the Excursion and Beefy Bronco that looks and rides like the old ATVs they were i remeber mine and the abuse it took put all those wrangler boys to shame

Sponsored

Tour18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4, Porsche 993tt, Vette GS
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To be clear, I have a 2017 Explorer Platinum, 2010 133inch Super Cab FX4 (not replaced because they don't make it any longer except in Raptor), and a 2010 short Ranger STX. And Porsche, Vette, etc... If the new "Bronco" is not something like all the really, really appealing renders shown right here on this forum, count me out. I'm not interested in a "SUV" as defined by the snowflake generation. If it looks anything like the Everest, I won't give it a second glance. And speaking for my circle, neither will any of my buds be interested either.

I had a museum grade M715 years ago and a brand new Wrangle pickup with a Gladiator package just might be the next addition to my stable... And to steal Bronco Bob's moniker above, certainly not a Breverest...

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Check this out:

Article just published today disputing this report that the Bronco will only be a rebadged Everest --

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/01/everything-reported-ford-bronco-yesterday-probably-wrong/

The details point to Ford’s Bronco rebirth being more of a Wrangler competitor than a 4Runner clone, bringing the fight to Jeep in a segment it has owned for decades. They also point to Bronco offering some features Wrangler lacks, though those details were shared off the record and can’t be reported.
I hope these guys are right instead of the details posted in the reddit thread.
Sponsored