Ford Reconfirms Hybrid Bronco After Axing Passenger Car Lineup

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator
    Staff Member

First Name:
    Admin
    Ford has reconfirmed that a Hybrid Bronco is coming. A little more color below.

2. NMPirate

NMPirate New Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    '15 Explorer
    Mmmm I'm not too excited about a hybrid 4x4, even with the Jeep. I do believe that Ford has made a BIG mistake by dumping nearly the entire car line up.

3. BONESTOCK

BONESTOCK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    94 Lightning, 04 Mach 1
    Ugh....I want the most simple version of the Bronco possible. Once I take possession I don't plan to ever bring my Bronco anywhere near a shop/dealer. I do my own work.

4. BHShaman

BHShaman Member

Vehicle(s):
    2007 Highlander
    Fusion Energi is awesome. Been flawless. If they can put that into the Bronco, awesome

5. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    Is it a disposable solution for new car buyers who only keep a vehicle a few years or something that people will want and use 15 years from now?

6. Mustang313

Mustang313 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT (s197)
    Good thing is there'll be something for everyone - a conventional gasoline Bronco and now a hybrid Bronco.

I think a hybrid Bronco is a great idea from the business side -- it's a good hedge strategy if fuel prices spike again.

BHShaman likes this.
  7. BHShaman

BHShaman Member

Vehicle(s):
    2007 Highlander
    One might rightly assume that battery technology will advance in the next 8 years (just like it has the past 8) and battery replacement will be available. And the Energi is EV/Hybrid/Gas. Even if the battery goes to shit, the engine and drive train keep the vehicle rolling.

So, not sure what you are getting at.

8. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    EV/hybrid seems like a gimmick to me and I much prefer the ICE. I think batteries are not nearly a mature technology and they are geared toward frequent replacement. Perfect for a cell phone or automobile manufacturer that wants customers to purchase a new vehicle every few years. Possibly not so perfect for a car buyer who might want to have an inexpensive, easy to maintain and reliable vehicle 10+ years from now.

9. BHShaman

BHShaman Member

Vehicle(s):
    2007 Highlander
    Guess we'll see. Like I said. Our Fusion Energi has been a dream. 39mpg real world and that is without charging it every night. Amazing 3 years and running.

10. tokyo

tokyo Member

Vehicle(s):
    siennavenzasparkXDfit
    LiOn batteries like certain conditions. Not fully charged, not fully depleted, certain temperature ranges etc.

In automotive applications with an 8year/100k mile warranty those conditions are adhered to strictly with charging algorithms, liquid cooling etc. An iPhone is purposely kept outside of those conditions so that you need to upgrade every 2-3 years. The way cell phone batteries degrade is much different that in automotive. Planned obsolescence in one case, planned longevity in the other.

So my 4 year old Chevy Spark EV still has the same range now as it did when new. My iPhone I got last year.. not so much.

The ironic thing is that counter to public opinion there is nothing less expensive, easier to maintain or more reliable than pure electric. No oil to change, no cams to wear out, no timing belt, no valves to get gummed up with DI blow by, not even brake pads to replace as most of the slowing down just regenerates electricity. There has been zero maintenance on my car besides tires and windshield wipers.

But all that is gravy.. The best part of electric is torque. Its instant. A flat as pancake torque curve that starts at 0 RPM. It is very addicting. Perfectly smooth and controllable. In my opinion absolutely perfect for off-road and towing applications. And fast.. there is a reason Tesla is out accelerating Hellcats.

Problem is range and charge time.. Batteries just cannot hold enough energy to give enough range. So for now a hybrid is the answer. I personally like the plug-in hybrid model because it allows for 100% EV driving which covers 90% of my daily needs, which is <50 miles a day. When I need to go explore farther the gas motor can charge the batteries and range is then the same as ICE engines. The on board generator ICE engine only needs to operate occasionally and often at consistent RPMs which means it will last a long long time. There are Volts out there with 300k miles still going strong.

Personally I want a manual trans V8 2-door option because.. well just because I do.

But since V8 and manual and even 2-door are questionable the hybrid is a great 2nd option.

Triangles, amsushi and BHShaman like this.
  11. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350
    Agreed, problems are range and charge time. Also weight is a problem. In my opinion complexity and cost are problems as well.

And having a small engine that is a generator along with a nearly silent electric power plant is a huge problem for me. I like the characteristics of an ICE - the noise, how it revs out and makes more power as the revs increase, etc.