How does Trail Control work?

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
I'm curious about this feature available on the Ranger. It is included in the FX4 package that includes a lot of components I did not want on my Ranger. It apparently works by controlling both throttle and independent wheel brakes. I am wondering if this might be something that could be programmed into the onboard computers at a later date? Or, does it require additional hardware that is not found on the regular 4X4 package?
Sponsored

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
I'm pretty sure there are all kinds of sensors and components involved in order to make the system functional.

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4
I'm pretty sure there are all kinds of sensors and components involved in order to make the system functional.
Yup trail control / crawl control systems take in info from variety of sensors (stability control, wheel speed, brakes) which will detect slippage at each wheel. The computer then takes that info and will determine how much throttle and braking to apply to each wheel. I haven't seen any info yet though on whether the 4x4 package adds (or upgrades) any particular sensors for these purposes.

OP
OP

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Administrators, thanks for correcting the thread title. I could not find a means to do so after having posted the thread. Also could not find a way to PM you to ask that you do so. Thank you. You can delete this post at your discretion.

RangerManR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1999 Ford Ranger XLT, 2013 Mustang
At a Ranger Drive event we drove around the parking lot with Trail Control engaged. It was impressively smooth and worked quickly to correct the speed back down even using some braking after we accelerated using the throttle.

It was kinda noisy while controlling the speed, and I'm not sure where the noise came from, but it sounded like ABS was being used, possibly to apply the brakes without pedal input? If so, the Trail Control feature might require a different ABS controller and upgraded brain box?

WXman

Banned
Banned
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
So from that video it looks like "Trail Control" is just a form of Brake Limited Differential like Jeep and Toyota both have been using for a long time.

To me it's a nice system because it works well and doesn't have internal clutches to replace and fluid additives to use.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Bummed the adaptive cruise control won’t help with stop and go traffic. I’m curious what trail control would do in traffic. I know it’s not it’s intended purpose but I wonder if it could be helpful. If you set trail control at 5mph and it encountered an obstacle in front of you (like a car stuck in traffic!) would it apply brakes and hold until the obstacle moved (traffic cleared) and resume 5mph? Effectively working like low speed adaptive cruise control?

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Bummed the adaptive cruise control won’t help with stop and go traffic. I’m curious what trail control would do in traffic. I know it’s not it’s intended purpose but I wonder if it could be helpful. If you set trail control at 5mph and it encountered an obstacle in front of you (like a car stuck in traffic!) would it apply brakes and hold until the obstacle moved (traffic cleared) and resume 5mph? Effectively working like low speed adaptive cruise control?
This is where I'm going with it. I've said forever I need slow speed cruise control living in LA. Since Trail Control works in 2wd hi and 1-20 mph, and your automatic emergency breaking with the front sensors.......and lane assist.:crackup: LA traffic is going to be nap time now:sunglasses:....Take that Tesla!

OK not really, but you see the potential

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone tried Trail Control in stop/go traffic? I remain curious if it can help with that in any way. It would be awesome if you could set it at 20mph and let it stop/go for you with traffic. I just have no idea if it can do that or if it would stop when encountering an obstacle (the bumper of the car in front).

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Lariat, 2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired Rancher
This is where I'm going with it. I've said forever I need slow speed cruise control living in LA. Since Trail Control works in 2wd hi and 1-20 mph, and your automatic emergency breaking with the front sensors.......and lane assist.:crackup: LA traffic is going to be nap time now:sunglasses:....Take that Tesla!
I also wished it had stop and go, with the adaptive cruise.....couldn’t it be programmed in at a later date, I believe Ford has cars with it?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Can anyone out there who has taken delivery or test driven describe what trail control would do in stop and go traffic?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think there is additional hardware needed to make Trail Control work over a standard 4WD truck? Or is it just a feature that could be enabled through software on any 4x4 truck.
Sponsored