Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

New Ford Bronco Won’t Arrive Until After The Next-Gen F-Series Super Duty

8a79ccfb-ford-baby-bronco-e1532476182721.jpg

The Ford Bronco is one of the brand’s most highly anticipated vehicles, but it won’t be introduced anytime soon.

According to Off-Road.com, they’ve uncovered a “product timeline” which reveals the automaker will introduce the 2020 Explorer and then a new version of the F-Series Super Duty. The Bronco will then arrive in 2020, possibly as a 2021 model.

Starting with the Explorer, the crossover is expected to be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show next month. While nothing is official quite yet, prototypes have dropped a significant amount of camouflage in the past few months and this suggests a debut could be right around the corner.

Ford has been tight-lipped about the model, but the Michigan State Police revealed its law enforcement counterpart – the 2020 Police Interceptor Utility – will be available with three different engines. These include a 3.3-liter V6, a 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6 and a hybrid model which is expected to use the 3.3-liter V6 engine.

Following the unveiling of the Explorer, the new F-Series Super Duty will be reportedly debut in late 2019. Little is known about that particular truck, but Ford has already confirmed it will debut next year and be followed by a new F-150 in 2020.

Speaking of the latter, Ford has previously said more than 90 percent of the manufacturing equipment used to make the current F-150 can be reused for the next-generation model. This seems to suggest the truck will be extensively updated, rather than a full top-to-bottom redesign.

Regardless, Ford has already confirmed the next-generation F-150 will be offered with a hybrid powertrain. Besides enabling the truck to be more fuel efficient, the model’s battery pack will enable the F-150 to act as a mobile generator for powering tools and other equipment.

The Bronco will be unveiled sometime after the new F-Series Super Duty, but it remains unclear if this will happen before or after the debut of the next F-150.
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
According to Off-Road.com, they’ve uncovered a “product timeline” which reveals the automaker will introduce the 2020 Explorer and then a new version of the F-Series Super Duty. The Bronco will then arrive in 2020, possibly as a 2021 model.
The Bronco will be unveiled sometime after the new F-Series Super Duty, but it remains unclear if this will happen before or after the debut of the next F-150.
If the Bronco is being pushed WAY back compared to the Ranger ("Coming in 2020" vs 2019 with actual units being produced in 2018) -- then I would be very surprised if we didn't get more teaser bits of information that have been pinned down.

This timeline also leaves out all mention of the other several 'new by 2020' Ford models, which presumably includes the baby/Maverick and Edge, Courier, etc.

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can be patient in the mean time i will continue to enjoy my 78. I have confidence Ford will get it right, dominance in the truck market means doing things right.

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wait a Minute. The vehicle under the tarp changed shape ??!??!? Did they replace the breadbox on wheels with the Baby Bronco?

Initial thoughts of new shape.
  • Too much rake on windshield
  • Looks like a Pathfinder
  • Looks like a 4 door

Original Image
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

New Image

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wait a Minute. The vehicle under the tarp changed shape ??!??!? Did they replace the breadbox on wheels with the Baby Bronco?

Initial thoughts of new shape.
  • Too much rake on windshield
  • Looks like a Pathfinder
  • Looks like a 4 door

Original Image

New Image
Hopefully that's the new Exploder under the tarp and not the Bronco.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, the Explorer has the profile of a minivan.

I think the one with the redish desert background is the baby/Maverick. Didn't that come out at the same time as the muddy tarp Bronco image?

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Andrew Bynum

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Toyota Camry CE
Your Bronco Model
Base
“While nothing is official quite yet, prototypes have dropped a significant amount of camouflage in the past few months and this suggests a debut could be right around the corner.”

Anyone know where can I find the prototypes that have “dropped a significant amount of camouflage in the past few months”?

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“While nothing is official quite yet, prototypes have dropped a significant amount of camouflage in the past few months and this suggests a debut could be right around the corner.”

Anyone know where can I find the prototypes that have “dropped a significant amount of camouflage in the past few months”?
They're talking about the Explorer. We haven't even seen a finished design image, or even a teaser image of the Bronco design, let alone a prototype under camoflage. The new Explorer that shares a chassis (and maybe some engines) with the Lincoln Aviator has been seen lots of times with little or no camo (like I said, it looks like a minivan):

https://www.tflcar.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2020-ford-explorer-nv-3-696x394.jpg

This is precisely why I expect to hear more about the Bronco in Q1 2019. The development cycle is long, and even if Bronco production units aren't going to be built until Q4 2020 or as a 2021 model, they would already be able to tell us lots of things that have to be determined years in advance so the various parts designs can all be integrated. By now I would definitely expect a few things to be known, such as the body design, body panel material, most of the drivetrain, wheel size, axle type, etc. would all be settled a couple years ahead of production so test mules and prototypes could be tested months ahead of commercial production -- just like the Explorer above that will get launched next month, but has been seen testing for over a year.

So as far as this "leaked schedule" we don't know what that sequence means -- is it the official production launch of the vehicle? Well duh the Explorer is going to come first, and if the F-series is going to get a mid-cycle refresh with some tweaked headlights or dash layout change to fit a 2" larger touchscreen that takes very little time compared to what still needs to be done for the Bronco. None of that means we won't see design images, or even pre-production prototypes of the Bronco in Detroit in January.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I think the one with the redish desert background is the baby/Maverick. Didn't that come out at the same time as the muddy tarp Bronco image?
I think you are right about it being the baby. The shape under the tarp looks very minivan-ish to me.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's definitely the baby Bronco. I'm not quite sure why the administrator used that image. Maybe because there has been more info on it and maybe it's going to be introduced earlier ( I hope not ).

As for this news, this is frustrating but makes sense. I was hoping for something more about the Bronco to come out at this Detroit Auto Show but I have my doubts now.
I'm Interested in this hybrid for the F150 though. The whole generator aspect is appealing.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... As for this news, this is frustrating but makes sense. I was hoping for something more about the Bronco to come out at this Detroit Auto Show but I have my doubts now. I'm Interested in this hybrid for the F150 though. The whole generator aspect is appealing.
The wording is key I think, and all we have is a telephone game accounting of what this document said. To me it sounds like it was originally a list of which models would be release-ready, because there are presentations about multiple models at most of the big auto shows from a major manufacturer like Ford. With the Ranger just being produced now, I don't think anyone was expecting to see the finished Bronco, but to hear nothing of note would be very surprising.

The hybridization, and autonomization is interesting from a technical and scientific achievement perspective, but has never appealed to me as something I would want in my vehicle. Most batteries and systems reliant on sensors tend to fare very poorly in extreme climates -- a simple robust ICE is far more reliable.
Sponsored