Rack for the Ranger???

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
Hello All Ranger fans,

I'm a new member that just ordered my Lariat last week. Can't wait for it to come in. Does anyone know where I can get a rack for the new Ranger? I use mine today for Kayaks, canoes, and moving furniture for my kids that seem to move around a lot. I'm open to ideas for removable or permanent, just looking for something substantial and not junk. I hear Yakima and Thule are making some but can't seem to find it on line.
Sponsored

misanthrope

First Name
N/A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL 4x4

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chuck ! Welcome and congrats on the order ! I too was looking for a rack to carry a kayak. Ordered the yak about 2 weeks ago (Pelican 130 HD) and it won't be here until mid February, being a new model and all. I looked at numerous racks and the such and decided to build my own. I'm going to make a removable headache rack that sits just above the roof line and a rear rack that slips into the hitch receiver that will still allow the tailgate to be used. The mounts for the headache rack will be bolted into the bed stake pocket, with the rack portion being removable by taking out a couple bolts on each side. The cost of just a simple roof rack is crazy-- a single from Yakima would be about $130. I can buy everything I need for about $50-75, plus it's always fun to fire up the welder and make stuff....welding used to be a job, but now it's a hobby. Here's my rough plans.

hitch rack.jpg

rack mount.jpg

OP
OP
chuck schulien
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
Hi Chuck ! Welcome and congrats on the order ! I too was looking for a rack to carry a kayak. Ordered the yak about 2 weeks ago (Pelican 130 HD) and it won't be here until mid February, being a new model and all. I looked at numerous racks and the such and decided to build my own. I'm going to make a removable headache rack that sits just above the roof line and a rear rack that slips into the hitch receiver that will still allow the tailgate to be used. The mounts for the headache rack will be bolted into the bed stake pocket, with the rack portion being removable by taking out a couple bolts on each side. The cost of just a simple roof rack is crazy-- a single from Yakima would be about $130. I can buy everything I need for about $50-75, plus it's always fun to fire up the welder and make stuff....welding used to be a job, but now it's a hobby. Here's my rough plans.

hitch rack.jpg

rack mount.jpg
Awesome, I agree on making your own rack and I would have to dust off my welder. Thanks for the reply and just so you know the ranger I ordered is lightning Blue Lariat too, 2wd though.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the link for the Yakima 2019 Truck HD series: https://www.yakima2019.com/truck-intro
These now have a listing on REI for "backorder" though it should probably say pre-order. I'm about to order mine, but I guess i'm not sure what length HD Bars to order with the OveraHual HD. I've seen some pictures where they fit pretty nice, and others where they extend past the towers by several inches.

Any thoughts on the width shown here?
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/yakima-2019-ranger-products-2018-sema-r5g-coverage.1242/

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
These now have a listing on REI for "backorder" though it should probably say pre-order. I'm about to order mine, but I guess i'm not sure what length HD Bars to order with the OveraHual HD. I've seen some pictures where they fit pretty nice, and others where they extend past the towers by several inches.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/yakima-2019-ranger-products-2018-sema-r5g-coverage.1242/
I had that question too, I guess in the meantime if you have a 2x4 you could mark off the different widths of HD bars to eyeball how wide you need.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase

Well, judging by the widths available, I was thinking about getting the 68'' bars. The truck is 74'' wide, so I wouldn't really think about the 78'' width option, which would be wider than the cab (but still narrower than the mirrors at 85''). But looking at that picture, I'm wondering if they're using the 60''. Dropping the picture into a photo editing software, the truck's width at the mirrors (inc mirrors) seems to be 530 pixels, while the crossbars are about 350 pixels. Knowing that the mirrors at 85'' wide, calculates the bars to be 56''. So... That's very interesting. I'm going to have to get my hands on a Ranger and measure how far I want the crossbars to go.

I'm not planning on putting them over the cab of the truck, so I was pretty intent that the 68'' was the right size, but now seeing the 55'' or 60'' is probably closer to what is on the SEMA truck makes me second guess if I should downsize to the 60''.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Well, judging by the widths available, I was thinking about getting the 68'' bars. The truck is 74'' wide, so I wouldn't really think about the 78'' width option, which would be wider than the cab (but still narrower than the mirrors at 85''). But looking at that picture, I'm wondering if they're using the 60''. Dropping the picture into a photo editing software, the truck's width at the mirrors (inc mirrors) seems to be 530 pixels, while the crossbars are about 350 pixels. Knowing that the mirrors at 85'' wide, calculates the bars to be 56''. So... That's very interesting. I'm going to have to get my hands on a Ranger and measure how far I want the crossbars to go.

I'm not planning on putting them over the cab of the truck, so I was pretty intent that the 68'' was the right size, but now seeing the 55'' or 60'' is probably closer to what is on the SEMA truck makes me second guess if I should downsize to the 60''.
So you’re putting them over the bed? What’s the bed width again?

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you’re putting them over the bed? What’s the bed width again?
I was just revisiting this thread to get dimensions: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/2019-ford-ranger-dimensions-layout-and-specs-pdf.1298/

The "Rear opening width" is 55.4/5'' (depending on where you measure it). So, space that out a few more inches for the width of the bed rails, and you're probably at about 60'' width, but the Yakima Overhaul tapers inwards. So, after critically examining it, I'm pretty confident that the SEMA truck is using 60'' crossbars.

bobkat

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger fx4
Occupation
Retired electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I just took delivery on my XLT FX4 in blue :) still on the learning curve and setting up. I tow behind a motorhome so I need a hitch ..
after the tow hitch, if it's not in the way, I hope I can install a winch.

we have a crv with two kayaks on top in j cradles. I want to find something like a ladder rack for my ranger supercrew with a removable rear bar so I can stand up and load kayaks. I have a rheumatoid ( pmr ) problem so my lifting is limited.
Next problem is a cover... if I put in a cap I cant stand up and load kayaks so I am thinking a locking cover but I don't know if it would interfere with the rack.... or whats available for the ranger
The HD from yakima looks good but I have the crossbars on two of my vehicles now and I hate to have to use one in front on the cab... I was hoping to avoid anything that attaches to the cab roof
This looks good here also: https://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/Buyers-Products/3371501410.html or along that line.
Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I just took delivery on my XLT FX4 in blue :) still on the learning curve and setting up. I tow behind a motorhome so I need a hitch ..
after the tow hitch, if it's not in the way, I hope I can install a winch.

we have a crv with two kayaks on top in j cradles. I want to find something like a ladder rack for my ranger supercrew with a removable rear bar so I can stand up and load kayaks. I have a rheumatoid ( pmr ) problem so my lifting is limited.
Next problem is a cover... if I put in a cap I cant stand up and load kayaks so I am thinking a locking cover but I don't know if it would interfere with the rack.... or whats available for the ranger
The HD from yakima looks good but I have the crossbars on two of my vehicles now and I hate to have to use one in front on the cab... I was hoping to avoid anything that attaches to the cab roof
This looks good here also: https://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/Buyers-Products/3371501410.html or along that line.
Any suggestions would be great.
How long are your kayaks such that you think the 5' (or let's call it 4.5') spacing of a bed rack wouldn't be enough? That's a ton more spacing than you have on the roof of the CRV. I haven't taken delivery of my rack yet, but I plan on putting my 12' kayaks up on top of the bed, which should mean that it extends about 4' on either side of the bed. I'm pretty sure that it should be enough to make the angle over the windshield for the bow/stern secure, which I'm thinking I'll do to the cab side of the hood (I might even end up putting some ditch lights & brackets there and attach to that).

Now if you have 18' sea kayaks, I could see that being a concern, especially since you wouldn't want 7' extending behind the truck. Would you plan on getting a 3rd cradle for that center crossbar if you did that?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you are going to make or mod something. Or maybe get a trailer to haul long boats.

OP
OP
chuck schulien
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Frontier
How long are your kayaks such that you think the 5' (or let's call it 4.5') spacing of a bed rack wouldn't be enough? That's a ton more spacing than you have on the roof of the CRV. I haven't taken delivery of my rack yet, but I plan on putting my 12' kayaks up on top of the bed, which should mean that it extends about 4' on either side of the bed. I'm pretty sure that it should be enough to make the angle over the windshield for the bow/stern secure, which I'm thinking I'll do to the cab side of the hood (I might even end up putting some ditch lights & brackets there and attach to that).

Now if you have 18' sea kayaks, I could see that being a concern, especially since you wouldn't want 7' extending behind the truck. Would you plan on getting a 3rd cradle for that center crossbar if you did that?
Mine are 12' and I have a hard tonneau cover, that's why I was looking for roof rack. so far noting that would be permanent
Sponsored