Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Perhaps they weren't put here for you to "understand". The "actual point" of going and crawling rocks, getting out away from civilization... might be to get away from the hordes of judgemental people clogging up the open roads on their way to the mountains.
Sponsored

3crows

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon, Toyota Tacoma
Yes, the base Wrangler is pretty bland, except it has solid axles, a convertible or removable top and doors that are easy to remove. And it has the approach and departure angles, ground clearance and inset belt-line and compact exterior dimensions need in serious off-roading to make it a blank canvass for mods, it can be a cruiser or an off-road beast or actually both.

For those who do not want a off-road capable vehicle, there are plenty of cross overs and faux-SUVs already, while build yet another?

I hope as much as any that the new Bronco is a real competitor but I am fast losing hope with the endless stream of hardtop OJ renderings. When the dealers got a preview the news was a two-door that was way better than they had hoped. I do not know what will be for the eventual Bronco if there really ever is one but I do know that I will not purchase a hard top pretender to a Wrangler when I can get the real thing.

Not sure what is meant by a plus one tire swap, if you mean a once inch larger tire and wheel combo then I guess, as long as there is room in the fenders and wheel wells to allow full articulation, another thing that solid axle vehicles like the Wrangler excel at. I know a lot of folks put cheap lift kits on and puck lifts and huge tires without consideration of wheel and tire tuck/articulation, but that was not my path. I went with full Currie suspension and my Jeep cruises as nicely as stock if not better but could possibly crawl over a Prius if needed. The Bronco has to be able to be lifted and have a large suspension travel capability to equal the Wrangler, even if only a bland, stock one.

I really want to buy a real Bronco. But a poseur, no.

Last edited:

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, trees are good at removing doors and rocks like to bash them in and that is one of the reasons the Wrangler (and original Bronco) has convertible (removable ) doors that were inset from the wheel line plus increased visibility when maneuvering in close quarters to said trees and rocks.
You keep mentioning the early Bronco had removable doors. As far I know they did not come from the factory that way. You could aftermarket them but they weren't original. The ones on my '74 were bolted on just like any other door on any other Ford.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Those remind me of the old International Scouts. Especially the orange one.

I think the gen 1 Bronco has GREAT potential, pics I posted are renders, yes, I know, not real but the body lines tend to be very similar to the "tarp teaser", yeah the front end/grill is based on the old 2004 concept but come on, no denying the new upcoming Bronco has potential of some bad-@ssery!
122f892c-2021-ford-bronco-render-2-300x163.jpg
7aca0790-2021-ford-bronco-render-4-300x163.jpg

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
Thanks for calling that out, it was bothering me. Although Ford sold the early Bronco in a doorless roadster version, and the doors are easier to remove than many late-model vehicles (no wires or detents), they were not designed to be removed easily. The caveat though is the first few years did have removable window frames that you could easily remove for when the top was removed for that cleaner half-door look.
I did not know that, very interesting as I always thought that the window frame on a topless bronco really didn't look right...you learn something new every day!!!

Sponsored

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
Lets just wait and see what Ford gives us, if its worthy to the particular customer then purchase away, if not, well, there are other options out there, personally I'm hoping for, and the operative word is hoping, classic first gen-ish body, solid front and rear axles, removable top and doors and a coyote heart but that last one will more than likely be a V6 ecoboost which I may have to settle but still be ok with. Lets just wait and see.

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
Not sure what is meant by a plus one tire swap, if you mean a once inch larger tire and wheel combo then I guess, as long as there is room in the fenders and wheel wells to allow full articulation, another thing that solid axle vehicles like the Wrangler excel at. I know a lot of folks put cheap lift kits on and puck lifts and huge tires without consideration of wheel and tire tuck/articulation, but that was not my path. I went with full Currie suspension and my Jeep cruises as nicely as stock if not better but could possibly crawl over a Prius if needed. The Bronco has to be able to be lifted and have a large suspension travel capability to equal the Wrangler, even if only a bland, stock one.

I really want to buy a real Bronco. But a poseur, no.
On my previous 2011 Raptor crew cab which came with 35 inch tires, I did a front leveling kit and installed 37 inch tires (plus 1 size [next size up available] as the common next size was 37s) on the factory 17 inch wheels. That was on a Raptor and not sure is such a mod will be able to be done in that same way on the up coming Bronco without more mods like a lift kit but its all speculation at this point, we'll just have to just wait and see.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sure, Ford can grace the automotive market with crossover #67. It can even look "tough". And they can put whatever badge on it they desire. But if it doesn't at least make Wrangler break into a sweat, few who cherished the capabilities of the old Broncos will consider the new one a real Bronco.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
An "adventure vehicle for normal people" is any ****** crossover capable of powering at least 3 wheels at a time. We have dozens of those boring jellybeans to choose from already.

The reason people are drawn to a true SUV like a Wrangler or Bronco is because they are understood to be capable of far more than that. Even if they won't personally use that level of capability. Just like only a tiny fraction of the people buying performance cars are actually ever going to race it or take it to the track, and most people buying a pickup will never tow or haul enough to logically justify purchasing it.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
"Back and badder than ever. The legendary Ford Bronco.

The Ford Bronco is back by popular demand. The iconic SUV was one of the world’s leading 4x4 vehicles for three decades, from the mid-sixties until the mid-nineties. This new generation Bronco boasts the latest in smart technology and a bold new look while remaining true to its rugged roots."

(emphasis added)

Sure, it's ad copy. And "badder than ever" is pretty ambiguous. "Remaining true to its rugged roots" isn't exactly specific, either.

But these statements conjure lofty expectations. If the product doesn't challenge at least the base level Wrangler, they won't meet their own sales expectations by a long shot.

Jeeps sell because of what they can do, not what they will do every day of their existence. A tough-looking truck that gets stuck, breaks, or otherwise fails on the trail will be rightly and resoundingly ridiculed, and people wanting only a tough-looking grocery getter aren't going to rush out to buy a product so they can be embarrassed by the laughter of their image-conscious friends.

Artie

Wildtrak
First Name
Waymon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 4X4 Limited, 1961 VW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'll take the black one!!

Great job these look great. Tough and stylish looking but not too overstyled.
Way To Go! The time will pass and you can tell all of us about it - IF my black one is not here yet.
You know - a Platinum and Limited will be available. Awaiting to find out what is on each.
Good Luck To You Sir! ARTIE
Sponsored