mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is my biggest gripe and concern about the Bronco. However, Ford did give us plenty of options based on how we're going to use it. A BD on stock 31" tires is relatively low compared to most of the other model and equipment options, and stock with the rear locker the video showed it still handled some pretty good terrain. I think for most Bronco owners a stock BD will handle what they will ever do with it. I'm still a bit bummed about the ground clearance, partly because I don't want to daily drive a lifted vehicle, yet I will take it on plenty of different types of trails. I parked my daily driver Cherokee XJ with 2" lift on 30" tires next to a Badlands w/o Sasquatch (which is what I have ordered) and my XJ has considerably more ground clearance.
so the BD stock with 32" stock tires is how much lower than your cherokee?
Sponsored

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

nally liked this review as I was able to see the BD do as much as I think I'll do, maybe more. I know I'm getting the right vehicle for my needs. I don't need sasquatch. BD plenty capable.
how much of a difference are we saying between the cherokee, wrangler, and stock bronco? and how much of a difference will it make for average user?

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess this is good for searching youtube. While there is good info in the video it is extremely basic and repetitive if you've already been learning about and looking at Broncos. Lots of time spent on the manual trans. Glad they showed a more basic Bronco, wish they would have made a a couple comments about where they were in Sedona. I want to visit Sedona and got no info about Sedona from this video, like which routes they were on and showing.

Good video, very basic.
Let me know what questions you have. I'm there all the time. Haven't had a chance to get my Bronco there yet, but probably over the Holiday break.

The video showed the Broken Arrow (the most scenic portions of the video w/rock crawling), a well-known power-line road, and possibly one or two others.

A great day trip in Sedona is to do Schenbly Hill Rd (closed in winter), then hit Broken Arrow, and if you have time, Soldiers Pass (requires pre-purchased permit limited to 10 vehicles per day).

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let me know what questions you have. I'm there all the time. Haven't had a chance to get my Bronco there yet, but probably over the Holiday break.

The video showed the Broken Arrow (the most scenic portions of the video w/rock crawling), a well-known power-line road, and possibly one or two others.

A great day trip in Sedona is to do Schenbly Hill Rd (closed in winter), then hit Broken Arrow, and if you have time, Soldiers Pass (requires pre-purchased permit limited to 10 vehicles per day).
Thanks! Was wondering if any of that was Broken Arrow. I have a friend in Phoenix area who just got a 4Runner TRD and he'd like me to take him out a give him some pointers, so was thinking about doing some stuff in Sedona. Been there, but no off road stuff. I'll hit you up, thanks.

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2dr BD 7spd Manual, so almost exactly like the vehicle in the video. A few comments based on the video:
1) I was watching some of the bad lines he was taking in the video, so I am glad the host even mentioned that he purposefully took bad lines to test the height. I think much of the issue were the routes and line option.
Unless you were taking tougher lines, like he stated he did in the video, the trails he was on were all suitable for a stock/base Wrangler and Bronco (I've guided Range Rover Sports through several of those trails with no issue). A mid-level Bronco Sport could do most of the trails in the video.

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so the BD stock with 32" stock tires is how much lower than your cherokee?
how much of a difference are we saying between the cherokee, wrangler, and stock bronco? and how much of a difference will it make for average user?

I just measured, and my XJ is 13.5" to the tcase/trans cross member, 13" to the bottom of the muffler, and 16" to the bottom of the frame. The bottom of the body pinch seam at the rockers is 18". This is with 2" lift and 30" tires. Would be interesting to see those measurements on various Broncos. In the video he said it was 9" to the rear lower control arm mounts, and it is the same to the bottom of the gas tank skid plate. My rear leaf spring mounts are next to the frame, so 16".

Another thing I noticed at Off Roadeo was that the Bronco needs at least one locker engaged to do simple things that my unlocked XJ would do without even noticing. Now, I was in a 4dr OBX, so longer wheelbase and no sway bar disconnect, but I needed to engage at least one locker in simple places I'm used to driving through with open diffs, even with the sway bar connected on the XJ. Just a difference in available articulation which keeps tires on the ground. BTW, the XJ is exactly the same wheelbase as a 2dr Bronco. Nothing wrong with engaging a locker if you have it.

I think a point is that if anyone plans to do much off road, more than exploring rough dirt roads, getting at least a BD with one locker and rock rails and skid plates is a very good idea.
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Black Diamond Off-Road Review in Sedona 263819887_4391116687667204_8508445032590294052_n

Last edited:

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just measured, and my XJ is 13.5" to the tcase/trans cross member, 13" to the bottom of the muffler, and 16" to the bottom of the frame. The bottom of the body pinch seam at the rockers is 18". This is with 2" lift and 30" tires. Would be interesting to see those measurements on various Broncos. In the video he said it was 9" to the rear lower control arm mounts, and it is the same to the bottom of the gas tank skid plate. My rear leaf spring mounts are next to the frame, so 16".

Another thing I noticed at Off Roadeo was that the Bronco needs at least one locker engaged to do simple things that my unlocked XJ would do without even noticing. Now, I was in a 4dr OBX, so longer wheelbase and no sway bar disconnect, but I needed to engage at least one locker in simple places I'm used to driving through with open diffs, even with the sway bar connected on the XJ. Just a difference in available articulation which keeps tires on the ground. BTW, the XJ is exactly the same wheelbase as a 2dr Bronco. Nothing wrong with engaging a locker if you have it.

I think a point is that if anyone plans to do much off road, more than exploring rough dirt roads, getting at least a BD with one locker and rock rails and skid plates is a very good idea.
I am amazed that an old Cherokee is built to be better off-road than a brand new bronco? Is there a reason why they built it this way?

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am amazed that an old Cherokee is built to be better off-road than a brand new bronco? Is there a reason why they built it this way?
I'm getting a new Bronco because I'm ready for a more modern vehicle as a daily driver and occasional 4wheeler. I fully expect that the Bronco will never be as good of a wheeling vehicle as my Cherokees have been. It's a bit of an anomaly. Size, weight, and suspension the XJ Cherokees work extremely well off road. I've mentioned it here before, this past May we were in Moab and my friend rented a side by side so I went with him in the yellow XJ. I ran Fins and Things, the whole trail, with open diffs and street air pressure (30" tires) and didn't disconnect the sway bar and didn't even take the motorhome tow bracket off the front. People we met on the trail in other Jeeps and side by sides wondered how in the heck did I get that Jeep back there. I do have quite a bit of experience, but an XJ is surprisingly capable. Now, I do expect the Bronco to be a bit more comfortable off road than my XJ, we'll see. I also expect it to be able to handle more speed off road than the XJ, but we'll see about that as well.

Ford did a lot of great things with the Bronco. It is very capable with lockers, but so is anything else with two lockers. The biggest downside to me with the Bronco is the relatively low ground clearance.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And thatā€™s what I donā€™t get. If they were building this to compete with jeep why wasnā€™t low ground clearance addressed? There has to be a reason why

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm getting a new Bronco because I'm ready for a more modern vehicle as a daily driver and occasional 4wheeler. I fully expect that the Bronco will never be as good of a wheeling vehicle as my Cherokees have been. It's a bit of an anomaly. Size, weight, and suspension the XJ Cherokees work extremely well off road. I've mentioned it here before, this past May we were in Moab and my friend rented a side by side so I went with him in the yellow XJ. I ran Fins and Things, the whole trail, with open diffs and street air pressure (30" tires) and didn't disconnect the sway bar and didn't even take the motorhome tow bracket off the front. People we met on the trail in other Jeeps and side by sides wondered how in the heck did I get that Jeep back there. I do have quite a bit of experience, but an XJ is surprisingly capable. Now, I do expect the Bronco to be a bit more comfortable off road than my XJ, we'll see. I also expect it to be able to handle more speed off road than the XJ, but we'll see about that as well.

Ford did a lot of great things with the Bronco. It is very capable with lockers, but so is anything else with two lockers. The biggest downside to me with the Bronco is the relatively low ground clearance.
Guess itā€™s a question for an engineer. Why did they not attack ground clearance when designing this thing to compete as an off roader ?

Sponsored

Goat4454

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another bronco mystery. Maybe they were worried about mpg so they kept stock lower to ground ? Who knows. But bronco is not competing with jeep on clearance at all and itā€™s not an oversight. It was planned for some reason which is a mystery to us all

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And thatā€™s what I donā€™t get. If they were building this to compete with jeep why wasnā€™t low ground clearance addressed? There has to be a reason why

Sasquatch and 35" tires seems to be how they addressed it. It does seem weird, considering how many other great things the Bronco has. The low points are the gas tank and the rear lower control arm mounts. Would be nice if the gas tank didn't hang below the frame rails. Oh well, just something to deal with. If you're going to off road much, get lockers.

BTW, just because we're talking about it, here's a pic of my XJ next to a CO Badlands non-squatch, which happens to be exactly what I have ordered. Interesting how much taller the Bronco is, yet the XJ has more ground clearance. The Bronco also out weighs it by 1200-1500 lbs.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Black Diamond Off-Road Review in Sedona 20211027_173416
Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco Black Diamond Off-Road Review in Sedona 20211027_173431

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sasquatch and 35" tires seems to be how they addressed it. It does seem weird, considering how many other great things the Bronco has. The low points are the gas tank and the rear lower control arm mounts. Would be nice if the gas tank didn't hang below the frame rails. Oh well, just something to deal with. If you're going to off road much, get lockers.

BTW, just because we're talking about it, here's a pic of my XJ next to a CO Badlands non-squatch, which happens to be exactly what I have ordered. Interesting how much taller the Bronco is, yet the XJ has more ground clearance. The Bronco also out weighs it by 1200-1500 lbs.

Exactly. Why the low clearance and huge weight difference? Would be nice to know. Big obstacles.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This thread is a testament to what a great job Ford did in offering all the packages, as well as Sasquatch. Truly, every person is different.

I donā€™t mind a small lift, but Iā€™m not into ā€œjacked upā€ vehicles and tires that stick out. I grew up in a 1976 Bronco that came with 28-inch tires. My dad cut the rear wells, put on 30-inch tires, with no lift. For me, my Bronco and off-road love isnā€™t about ā€œlet me see what wild obstacle I can get over nextā€ (not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that). I love a daily driver that is capable on trails, mud, dirt, woods, etc., and still looks like a truck. My opinion is that if your goal is, for lack of a better words, macho stuff like conquering big rocks and extreme stuff, why not do it on a motorcycle or one of those modern ATV buggy things with the huge tires?

I ordered a Base originally because I loved how it captured the spirit of the early Bronco, which didnā€™t have a ton of ground clearance and got around damn well. We never got our ā€˜76 into any trouble it couldnā€™t get us out of, but part of that is choosing your linesā€”the fun interplay of man and machine. Actually, the ONLY time the ā€˜76 got stuck was late one night in the late ā€˜80s when my dad had a few bourbons and he took my mom and another couple out near a local lake in his ā€˜88 XLT full-size Bronco in the pitch-black dark and got it stuck in a mudhole he misjudged. I guess he had his original, giant ā€œbag phoneā€ and called someone to pick him up and carry him back to our house to get the ā€˜76 and chains/straps. Got that one stuck while trying to rescue the much larger ā€˜88. Finally had to summon a wrecker to get them both out.

I ended up upgrading to Black Diamond for a few reasons such as MGV and four doors but still with manual transmission. For me, the 32s (or 31 and change) are perfect. Iā€™d consider even consider going up to a 33 (no lift or other changes), but I donā€™t want to throw off my speedometer and odometer.

Iā€™d even be open to the Sasquatch if the wheels were different (more old school) and the tires were ā€œpizza cuttersā€ that donā€™t stick out, with standard flares. For my taste, I donā€™t like the bead rings on any wheel, and on the Bronco, for a distance, the silver ring on the black wheel looks like a white-wall tire.

Hereā€™s to Ford enabling everyone to be able to order exactly the setup they want. The variety of choices may be part of why builds are so delayed and backed up, but I dig that they are available. A guy at Home Depot was asking about my Bronco and suggested I could ā€œdress it upā€ with a lift and fancier rims (I have black steelies). I told him itā€™s perfect for me as it is.

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This thread is a testament to what a great job Ford did in offering all the packages, as well as Sasquatch. Truly, every person is different.

I donā€™t mind a small lift, but Iā€™m not into ā€œjacked upā€ vehicles and tires that stick out. I grew up in a 1976 Bronco that came with 28-inch tires. My dad cut the rear wells, put on 30-inch tires, with no lift. For me, my Bronco and off-road love isnā€™t about ā€œlet me see what wild obstacle I can get over nextā€ (not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that). I love a daily driver that is capable on trails, mud, dirt, woods, etc., and still looks like a truck. My opinion is that if your goal is, for lack of a better words, macho stuff like conquering big rocks and extreme stuff, why not do it on a motorcycle or one of those modern ATV buggy things with the huge tires?

I ordered a Base originally because I loved how it captured the spirit of the early Bronco, which didnā€™t have a ton of ground clearance and got around damn well. We never got our ā€˜76 into any trouble it couldnā€™t get us out of, but part of that is choosing your linesā€”the fun interplay of man and machine. Actually, the ONLY time the ā€˜76 got stuck was late one night in the late ā€˜80s when my dad had a few bourbons and he took my mom and another couple out near a local lake in his ā€˜88 XLT full-size Bronco in the pitch-black dark and got it stuck in a mudhole he misjudged. I guess he had his original, giant ā€œbag phoneā€ and called someone to pick him up and carry him back to our house to get the ā€˜76 and chains/straps. Got that one stuck while trying to rescue the much larger ā€˜88. Finally had to summon a wrecker to get them both out.

I ended up upgrading to Black Diamond for a few reasons such as MGV and four doors but still with manual transmission. For me, the 32s (or 31 and change) are perfect. Iā€™d consider even consider going up to a 33 (no lift or other changes), but I donā€™t want to throw off my speedometer and odometer.

Iā€™d even be open to the Sasquatch if the wheels were different (more old school) and the tires were ā€œpizza cuttersā€ that donā€™t stick out, with standard flares. For my taste, I donā€™t like the bead rings on any wheel, and on the Bronco, for a distance, the silver ring on the black wheel looks like a white-wall tire.

Hereā€™s to Ford enabling everyone to be able to order exactly the setup they want. The variety of choices may be part of why builds are so delayed and backed up, but I dig that they are available. A guy at Home Depot was asking about my Bronco and suggested I could ā€œdress it upā€ with a lift and fancier rims (I have black steelies). I told him itā€™s perfect for me as it is.
Very well said. I guess I have to sit in it and drive it to really get a feel for how high and ā€˜clearā€™ a stick BD is.
Sponsored