Sponsored

Dream World, if it were up to you what exactly would the new Bronco be?

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t understand why people think the Raptor IFS is anything special. It’s just a regular F-150 suspension with wider A-arms and some fancy shocks. The increased travel comes from the extra width only.

Nearly every side by side on the market, even the 50” ones, have more suspension travel than a raptor.
Well because it has substantially more travel than all other IFS full size trucks....fancy shocks and longer upper and lower arms are very expensive upgrades.
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well because it has substantially more travel than all other IFS full size trucks....fancy shocks and longer upper and lower arms are very expensive upgrades.
Exactly. The raptor is honestly an insanely good vehicle. One of the guys on this forum who purports to work at Ford said he saw the attribute chart of the Bronco and it would have significantly more travel than a Colorado ZR2, which is already a very impressive truck. I would prefer a stick axle just for simplicities sake but for performance the Bronco with IFS could be an absolute beast.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed with Nickp and Nanook. While long arms and fancy shocks aren't any groundbreaking new idea among dedicated offroad machines, it's very unusual to see such a capable setup in a factory production vehicle. That's what makes it special and why I would like to see it in the Bronco.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would bet that all 80-96 F-150s and Broncos have more suspension travel than a Raptor.

I’m not saying Raptors aren’t cool, and I certainly wouldn’t mind owning one, but I think the Raptor IFS is setting the bar pretty low for the new Bronco.

The Ranger Raptor has a whopping 9.3” of front suspension travel. A 50” wide RZR has 10”.

The Bronco is going to have be wider than a dually pickup to be considered “long travel” if it uses a Raptor suspension.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would bet that all 80-96 F-150s and Broncos have more suspension travel than a Raptor.
Twin traction beams? I could never keep mine driving straight.

The Bronco is going to have be wider than a dually pickup to be considered “long travel” if it uses a Raptor suspension.
Couldn’t they just narrow or even rear set the oil pan sump and narrow the frame to make room for longer arms and keep the same overall width?
Personally I dont expect ford to do anything overly radical for the masses. Would be great if they did though!

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m not saying Raptors aren’t cool, and I certainly wouldn’t mind owning one, but I think the Raptor IFS is setting the bar pretty low for the new Bronco.
Setting the bar at F150 Raptor IFS means setting it at the best in a current production vehicle (barring really weird stuff like the Rally Fighter).

For sure, if they could give it an even better IFS with even more travel, I'd be happy. But given how capable the Raptors are, I'd be fine with that being the bar for the Bronco.

The Ranger Raptor has a whopping 9.3” of front suspension travel. A 50” wide RZR has 10”.
An RZR also doesn't have an engine in the front to package around, nor does it need to meet any sort of significant crash safety standards. Not exactly apples to apples.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Setting the bar at F150 Raptor IFS means setting it at the best in a current production vehicle...An RZR also doesn't have an engine in the front to package around, nor does it need to meet any sort of significant crash safety standards. Not exactly apples to apples.
A Wrangler is a foot narrower and accomplishes more articulation. The Raptor trim F150 certainly does well for a pickup, but it is hardly the benchmark for excellence. The travel range of each wheel is important, but useless if they can't be used together effectively. I don't know about you, but I don't plan on jumping my daily driver.

On 20-degree RTI ramps:
Trailhawk Cherokee -- 322
F150 FX4 Supercrew -- 420
4Runner -- 501
Power Wagon -- 518
F150 Raptor -- 627
4d Wrangler -- 693
2d Wrangler -- 820

With a theoretically 6" shorter wheelbase than the Unlimited Wrangler, the 4-door Bronco certainly could match or beat its articulation. Hopefully Ford doesn't have to make it wider than a dumptruck to achieve that though, or it will be useless because the Bronco can't fit on the trails to begin with.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Setting the bar at F150 Raptor IFS means setting it at the best in a current production vehicle (barring really weird stuff like the Rally Fighter).

For sure, if they could give it an even better IFS with even more travel, I'd be happy. But given how capable the Raptors are, I'd be fine with that being the bar for the Bronco.

An RZR also doesn't have an engine in the front to package around, nor does it need to meet any sort of significant crash safety standards. Not exactly apples to apples.
Nope the engine is in the back where the RZR still has more travel. My point is that a significantly narrower vehicle can achieve more wheel travel with independent suspension.

Maybe if Ford would invest as much time on the suspension as they do on bs door and roof patents they could actually come up with something that performs well in all situations.

Instead they’ll probably slap some wider A-arms and some Raptor graphics on it and all the mall crawlers will dub it an off road performance vehicle.

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's a given Bronco will have more than enough 'rugged' to meet my needs, so to me the "Right Stuff" would include:

1. Perfect proportions. The 2-door dimension estimates I've seen suggest @163"-167" length incl. rear tire; 74" width; 72" height. I'd have sculpted it a tad narrower & higher, but this sounds pretty good. Tire option might add height.
2. EB-inspired lines
3. EZ interior maintenance
4. Awsome colors; lighter blues/greens. Ford should hire the color guy from Subaru; they have the best palate on the highway
5. Less computer reliance. I can't count the number of computer flashes my Renegade Trailhawk has had...enough to be really anoying
6. 9" or more ground clearance

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm just a simple man, and I don't ask for much. I just hope it is true to the iconic styling of the first Bronco's. Along with that I only ask it be a capable off roader, with some comfort on the road. Yes, my Wrangler JL sure has me spoiled, so the Bronco must be as good or better.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t understand why people think the Raptor IFS is anything special. It’s just a regular F-150 suspension with wider A-arms and some fancy shocks. The increased travel comes from the extra width only.

Nearly every side by side on the market, even the 50” ones, have more suspension travel than a raptor.
"its just f-150 suspesnsion with wider A-arms and some fancy shocks" ala, every off-road high performance suspension ever except properly designed and tested by an OEM with a warranty. People seriously underestimate the importance of wheel travel. Also, regarding side by sides, that only proves how special the Raptor suspension is. There's not a single production vehicle on earth that could keep up with a side by side off road, why? primarily wheel travel (lots of factors but mostly that) whats the only production brand to even attempt decent wheel travel specs? Raptor... yea its pretty special

snipes243

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 ford Bronco, 06 ford Ranger, couple of jeeps and F250
I'm looking for a rugged 2 door SUV with
Solid front Axle
Manual Trans with granny gear
Removable Top
Removable Doors
The ability to get a low tech version.

I really want a modern classic bronco.

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
"its just f-150 suspesnsion with wider A-arms and some fancy shocks" ala, every off-road high performance suspension ever except properly designed and tested by an OEM with a warranty. People seriously underestimate the importance of wheel travel. Also, regarding side by sides, that only proves how special the Raptor suspension is. There's not a single production vehicle on earth that could keep up with a side by side off road, why? primarily wheel travel (lots of factors but mostly that) whats the only production brand to even attempt decent wheel travel specs? Raptor... yea its pretty special
BUT BUT BUT..... the "rock crawlers" INSIST we all get SFA's ;)

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
TeocaliMG, my first car was a 1959 Fairlane. If you can pull a few strings and get Colonial White over Caribbean Turquoise added to the color options I'll fly you down for my inaugural trail ride :)

upload_2019-9-9_11-11-37.png

timmedo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus LS460
I'm probably different than most folks. I like driving a truck that has inside storage, 2 doors, a second row of seats, AND can fit in the garage. So; a 2 door F-150 4x4 based bronco, with all the modern stuff, mostly for the street. It's that simple for me. There is nothing out there like that.
Sponsored