Sponsored

Dream World, if it were up to you what exactly would the new Bronco be?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Land Rover set a good example of what NOT to do...they owned an iconic image of the 'old' Defender known and loved around the globe, and they relegated it to the dust bin in favor of an expensive, generic, blah replacement. In other words, they followed Chevy's lead exactly. I was the proud owner of an S-10 Blazer in 1986 and nursed it along until I lost confidence it would get me out of the deep woods in 2015.

Ford SAYS that's not what they're doing, but it would sure be nice to have a peek at what we're all waiting for.
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Land Rover set a good example of what NOT to do...they owned an iconic image of the 'old' Defender known and loved around the globe, and they relegated it to the dust bin in favor of an expensive, generic, blah replacement. In other words, they followed Chevy's lead exactly. I was the proud owner of an S-10 Blazer in 1986 and nursed it along until I lost confidence it would get me out of the deep woods in 2015.

Ford SAYS that's not what they're doing, but it would sure be nice to have a peek at what we're all waiting for.
I don't disagree that the new Defender could and should have more rugged chops and design language but comparing it to Chevy's new "Blazer" gives the blazer more credit than it deserves. The new Defender may not be properly using its old off-road roots but it is using some roots lol, more than I can say for the blazer...

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't disagree that the new Defender could and should have more rugged chops and design language but comparing it to Chevy's new "Blazer" gives the blazer more credit than it deserves. The new Defender may not be properly using its old off-road roots but it is using some roots lol, more than I can say for the blazer...
Agree on the blazer, what a waste of a good name. It's a shame Ford is going to tarnish the Mustang's name and/or iconic version(s) of it, for some portly,
quiet, shiftless, incorrectly propotioned, soccer mobile.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a little surprised they didn't dust off one of their old brand names for the new electric car lineup. Mercury etc.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm a little surprised they didn't dust off one of their old brand names for the new electric car lineup. Mercury etc.
On Thunderbird! On Comet! On Cougar, and Capri! On Grenada and Falcon!

RETURN OF THE FAIRLANE!!!

BRING BACK THE PINTO!!!

Sponsored

nameuser

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Halfcab
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
In the past Ford has been one of the better companies to order it the way you want. With a first year model they might have to burn though the dealer orders before making one just for you.
The worst is Toyota. You can get good, better, best.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered my 2011 5.0 mustang in April of 2010.

Picked every option I wanted. Dealer made me put down a $500 deposit since my order was pretty unique. Car came in June of 2010. Dealer called me when it arrived. Came exactly how I ordered it.

If the Bronco is what it’s promised I’ll probably be doing the same thing again.

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd like something in-between the Early Bronco and Full Size Bronco. Something small and retro hearkening back to the EB, but with enough storage space to actually be used as a utility vehicle like the FSBs were. In terms of size, the International Scout or LWB Wrangler is a good comparison. I took the Wrangler JL into Photoshop to mock up proportionally what I'd like to see. Wheelbase is 5.1" longer for a total wheelbase of 101.9". The hood is 3.1" shorter, meaning extra room can be added to the rear for storage space, since the Bronco isn't open wheeled it has a wider hood and can afford this shortening in the engine bay. Added 5" of rear overhang for more bed space means a loss of 4 degrees of departure angle, but ultimately gives it a 'bed' length of 54.3", compare this to the Wrangler's 43.8" (or to the Ranger's 60"). The less intrusive rollbars mean that this extra foot of length in the bed is easier to pack, you could actually use this Bronco on moving day instead of having to squish everything between the Wrangler's rollcage.

Wrangler Proportions.jpg

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd like something in-between the Early Bronco and Full Size Bronco. Something small and retro hearkening back to the EB, but with enough storage space to actually be used as a utility vehicle like the FSBs were. ...
If the Bronco comes with a rear seat, you can bet the safety regulations will demand that it receives rollover protection. That's what was behind changes to the FSB and how it was marketed -- I doubt things have become more relaxed since the 90s. If the Bronco goes for a really 'open air' experience though, I hope the roll cage is more aesthetically pleasing than the lumpy rectangular bars of the JL.

The front row will probably sit more forward than the Frankenrangers we've seen so far, but I'm not sure if it would be any farther forward than the Wrangler. The wider front clip certainly does offer Ford some opportunity for other effective configurations though.

I'm not too keen on a wheelbase shorter than 100", but we haven't seen enough of the 2-door mules to really tell. We aren't sure we've ever seen a prototype front suspension to know a length of either.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JimmyDean

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the Bronco comes with a rear seat, you can bet the safety regulations will demand that it receives rollover protection. That's what was behind changes to the FSB and how it was marketed -- I doubt things have become more relaxed since the 90s. If the Bronco goes for a really 'open air' experience though, I hope the roll cage is more aesthetically pleasing than the lumpy rectangular bars of the JL.

The front row will probably sit more forward than the Frankenrangers we've seen so far, but I'm not sure if it would be any farther forward than the Wrangler. The wider front clip certainly does offer Ford some opportunity for other effective configurations though.

I'm not too keen on a wheelbase shorter than 100", but we haven't seen enough of the 2-door mules to really tell. We aren't sure we've ever seen a prototype front suspension to know a length of either.
This is why I would like to see a rear seatless option, so that there is no full rear roll cage required, and then you can just buy a seat and install aftermarket. Similar to what dodge does with their hellcat redeye and the front drag tires and roll cage.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just for comparisons sake, I made the post below in 2016. I updated the specs to the 2019 model year:

--------------------------------
What the intended goal seems to be is a Jeep killer, much like the 1G Bronos were, slightly bigger, very utilitarian in their base form. I'm not certain they can get much bigger than the current Wranglers though and still be highly mobile on the trail.
Per very little research, the Wrangler is already bigger than the 1G Bronco.
So who knows, it's all speculation at this point.
--

------------1976 Bronco------------- 2019 Wranglers
Length --------152.1"---------------- 167" or 188"

Width------------69.1"----------------------74"

Height -----------71.2"--------------------- 74"

Wheelbase ----- 92" -----------------96.8" or 108.4"

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe something like could be feasible, rollbars built into the rear seat structure so the rear is completely rail-less when the rear seats are out so you can go full pickup mode. Hopefully an incredibly thick B-Pillar would be enough to offset the lack of C-Pillar, or that a rollbar not built into the frame of the chassis would provide adequate protection to rear passengers. Maybe Ford can engineer magic deploying rollbars to complement the door bars.

rollover chairs.jpg
Sponsored