• Total voters

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wife has leased 2 Energi and they have been amazing!
I would be totally down for an E/Hybrid version of the Brono/Bronco.

We both live within 10 miles of our work and she goes over a month without using a drop of gas.
And when we use it for trips she easily gets 40+MPG real world.

I would LOVE to get 20Miles a day in a BroncoBronco without having to drop a Gallon of gas.
Sponsored

The905Raptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any idea if the Bronco will have a Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV) variant coming? We know the confirmed Hybrid is coming, but no further details other than there will be. It would be an interesting play to take on the Wrangler announced at CES this year, and push Ford as a company further into this EV space.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I hope they move towards all of their hybrids being plug-in. Honestly I don't see why they wouldn't (unless we're talking about a 48V mild-hybrid with a starter-generator only?).

The905Raptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree... it only makes sense. All the latest leaks are showing engine options but not a lot has been reported on the hybrid variation. In one of their spy shots there was a strange bulge below the driver side mirror... I wonder if that would be Ford trying to cover the charging port?

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Personally I think if they can balance and get the power out of a hybrid to match letā€™s say the 2.3L, and then get the economy up to around 20 city, 35 highway then itā€™s an absolute no brainer. If they pull off a hybrid anywhere near these Iā€™ll have that option.

edit: *cough cough* the new 3.3L hybrid from the explorer with a different tune maybe? The vehicles will be respectfully similar in size.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The905Raptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I really think they can push a lot of power out of a PHEV. For example the new Rav4 Prime pumps out 302hp which is almost 100hp more than the standard Rav4 and pushes the car 0-60 over 1.5sec faster than the standard hybrid.

It's a win-win all around - more power, more efficient. I sure hope this Bronco is plugin.

PS - Not sure about the US, but here in Canada, all PHEV's get special privileges, like taking the HOV (high occupancy vehicle lane) for no additional cost and with only a single passenger.... another win!

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I really think they can push a lot of power out of a PHEV. For example the new Rav4 Prime pumps out 302hp which is almost 100hp more than the standard Rav4 and pushes the car 0-60 over 1.5sec faster than the standard hybrid.

It's a win-win all around - more power, more efficient. I sure hope this Bronco is plugin.

PS - Not sure about the US, but here in Canada, all PHEV's get special privileges, like taking the HOV (high occupancy vehicle lane) for no additional cost and with only a single passenger.... another win!
Faster in a straight line, yes...but if they're thinking of running the Lincoln Aviator hybrid setup in the Bronco, that reportedly adds over 700lbs to the curb weight of a non-hybrid. I'll take less power and lighter weight (plus I'd like the option of a manual transmisison).

Even the Rav4 hybrid you mention with its tiny little 1.6kWh battery is around 220lbs heavier in hybrid form than the comparable pure ICE vehicle (3490 vs 3710, LE AWD vs LE Hybrid - no published figures for the RAV4 Prime PHEV, but I would expect it to be even heavier with a bigger battery)

For those that are commuting or doing slow speed stuff with their vehicle though, it makes sense.

Last edited:

The905Raptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Faster in a straight line, yes...but if they're thinking of running the Lincoln Aviator hybrid setup in the Bronco, that reportedly adds over 700lbs to the curb weight of a non-hybrid. I'll take less power and lighter weight (plus I'd like the option of a manual transmisison).

Even the Rav4 hybrid you mention with its tiny little 1.6kWh battery is around 220lbs heavier in hybrid form than the comparable pure ICE vehicle (3490 vs 3710, LE AWD vs LE Hybrid - no published figures for the RAV4 Prime PHEV, but I would expect it to be even heavier with a bigger battery)

For those that are commuting or doing slow speed stuff with their vehicle though, it makes sense.
It's a great point re: weight over power. Hybrids are much heavier... but I'm curious about the market segmentation. Here where I am from I would say 80-90% of the Wranglers I see on the road have never seen a dirt trail before, yet on a forum like this it's more the opposite. Now, if they built a road-going Bronco that is heavier for the daily commuter (as a PHEV) AND a lighter more nimble (even 2-door or manual transmission) is that something they would do... or would they all have some sort of hybridization?

Not sure... I would hope the former but if hybrid is the future I don't know what they would do...

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's a great point re: weight over power. Hybrids are much heavier... but I'm curious about the market segmentation. Here where I am from I would say 80-90% of the Wranglers I see on the road have never seen a dirt trail before, yet on a forum like this it's more the opposite. Now, if they built a road-going Bronco that is heavier for the daily commuter (as a PHEV) AND a lighter more nimble (even 2-door or manual transmission) is that something they would do... or would they all have some sort of hybridization?

Not sure... I would hope the former but if hybrid is the future I don't know what they would do...
Yep, I agree. There's always the small group who want to use their vehicles for more than looking cool during the daily commute. You'll tend to find more of those on a car forum. The 4 door hybrid with an auto will be the one to go to for the other folks.

I'm hoping that the fact Ford is coming out with a 2 door model at ALL means that they are planning on making something that appeals to the enthusiasts (SFA vs IFS debate aside), so I'm still hopefully we'll get a lighter high performance trim. 2.7 + manual transmission would be great. I'm hoping with significant aluminum usage they can keep the curb weight down right around 4000lbs.

Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any idea if the Bronco will have a Plug-In Hybrid (PHEV) variant coming? We know the confirmed Hybrid is coming, but no further details other than there will be. It would be an interesting play to take on the Wrangler announced at CES this year, and push Ford as a company further into this EV space.
Rumor is yes, it will be the same PHEV drivetrain from the Aviator. Which is really good performance and MPG wise. Only downside is it will be pretty expensive.

thatā€™s the option Iā€™m going for. The hybrid is the most interesting power plant option to me. I have no reservations about their reliability at all. Imagine if they can squeeze 40 mi all electric rang out of this thing?! My monthly gas bill would be close to $0.

The905Raptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Rumor is yes, it will be the same PHEV drivetrain from the Aviator. Which is really good performance and MPG wise. Only downside is it will be pretty expensive.

thatā€™s the option Iā€™m going for. The hybrid is the most interesting power plant option to me. I have no reservations about their reliability at all. Imagine if they can squeeze 40 mi all electric rang out of this thing?! My monthly gas bill would be close to $0.
This would be the dream to get 40mi out of it. If the Aviator spec is true that would leave an 18mi range on battery only which seems like a short haul... but I guess better than nothing?

I think you're right that there will be a premium $ on it, but if government tax credits kick in that should help. Some dealers (including the one near me) will give you the discount at time of purchase, and they will fight for the government tax break. Not sure if that is applicable everywhere.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This would be the dream to get 40mi out of it. If the Aviator spec is true that would leave an 18mi range on battery only which seems like a short haul... but I guess better than nothing?

I think you're right that there will be a premium $ on it, but if government tax credits kick in that should help. Some dealers (including the one near me) will give you the discount at time of purchase, and they will fight for the government tax break. Not sure if that is applicable everywhere.
Forgot about the tax breaks that would be awesome!

Bronco should be substantially smaller than the Aviator hopefully that helps increase the range. Maybe into the mid 20s is more realistic

The905Raptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Forgot about the tax breaks that would be awesome!

Bronco should be substantially smaller than the Aviator hopefully that helps increase the range. Maybe into the mid 20s is more realistic
Mid 20's is still a win. I think to compete with Jeep they need to get over 30mi.

I am curious to know if they will offer it in the full size Bronco or the Baby Bronco (Maverick?)... or both? My eye isn't off that car either... I am putting 35" BFG KO2s on either one anyway :)

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mid 20's is still a win. I think to compete with Jeep they need to get over 30mi.

I am curious to know if they will offer it in the full size Bronco or the Baby Bronco (Maverick?)... or both? My eye isn't off that car either... I am putting 35" BFG KO2s on either one anyway :)
haven't heard any hybrid rumors for baby bronco yet, although I haven't followed it as closely.

Is Jeep rumored to be getting a PHEV soon too?
Sponsored