Sponsored

Bronco R Race Prototype Revealed for Baja 1000!

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@gentlemanbronco I too think that maybe down the line we will get a special addition Bronco with a V8. But for now Ford wants to show off what it’s Ecoboost can do and sell the most of these as they can.
It comes as no surprise to me that they are using it for their race truck to showcase its abilities.

Ford will cash in on a special addition V8 down the road if they are smart.
It’s definitely no make or break for me though. Same power, less weight and better fuel mileage sounds better to me then an exhaust note.
Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm actually glad that the hardcore rock crawlers aren't happy. If they got everything they wanted then I'm sure it wouldn't be what I would want.
You, and probably 95% of the target demographic are happy about the way the Bronco is shaping up. This is similar to the whole strategic outlook of the 6gen Camaro and the Mustangs... The Camaro offered alot of performance out of the gate, and was able to build upon that after launch. The Mustang is empirically easier to live with on a daily basis, it was cheaper, and performed pretty much just as well in areas where your average person actually notices. Then shortly there after Ford launched a very unique highly capable special addition with the GT350 which is still being lauded to this day in the automotive media. The Mustang is still doing well unlike the Camaro which has suffered sales loses since it's launch, and is having it lunch eating by the Challenger.

The amount of people that are going to rock crawl a brand new Bronco, is probably around 1%, The amount of people who will outfit them for overlanding, and general trail uses is probably somewhere closer to 40+% at launch, tapering down around 20% once it's been on the market for a little while.

The simple fact of the matter is you don't try and steal a competitors flag pole, it's basic marketing. The Bronco speaks to Ford's high speed offroad performance legacy and IFS is the right choice in so many regards. A Bronco with solid axles, removable doors/ top, is almost a copy and paste Jeep JL with Ford badges and a Ford powertrain. Which arguably would still do well.

However a IFS Bronco, with a Raptor esque variant offers so much more to the entirety of the Bronco's demographic. If you where to do a venn diagram of a Bronco R/Raptor and a Rubicon JL I would venture that the Bronco will wheel technically just as well as the JL Rubicon, but has better and more efficient powertrain, coupled with the ability not only to do trails, but blast down two tracks, service roads and being more enjoyable to drive 98% of the time. Heck a F150 Raptor will wheel just at well as a Rubicon, as long as it can fit.

The amount of JL mom conquest sales along will be staggering when they get everything they want in a JL from the adventure lifestyle capability and appearance; but in a better driving, more efficient vehicle.

Last edited:

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The way I see it is Ford is going to have its cake and eat it too. Having the four door and a Raptorish version along with a two door more crawl friendly Jeep competitor its going to have what it needs to conquer all off-road markets.

kdm_42089

Black Diamond
First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Continental
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't know if anyone posted it already and I'm not going through 14 pages to find out right now, but TFL posted a decent video yesterday. I guess there is definitely going to be a turbo 6. That's good enough for me

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Y
The amount of people that are going to rock crawl a brand new Bronco, is probably around 1%, The amount of people who will outfit them for overlanding, and general trail uses is probably somewhere closer to 40+% at launch, tapering down around 20% once it's been on the market for a little while.
Actually the amount of people who are going to race around at speed in a desert setting with a brand new Bronco is 1%. Actually probably lower. That's a great way to destroy a vehicle in no time, and those higher speed race vehicles are built special for that usage.

As for rock crawling, I think the term is being misused. I "rocked crawled" all along the Rockies for years. Lots of people do it. I'm not talking the specialized crazy obstacle rock crawling, but the everyday driving of rocky and obstacle laden trails, at speeds where you need a 2 speed transfer case in low. Situations where clearance and articulation are generally good things to have.

Many more owners do that sort of rock crawling than barreling along at speed in some desert. I strongly disagree with the notion some people are posting in this thread, that we should be glad if the new Bronco is not geared towards rock crawling.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually the amount of people who are going to race around at speed in a desert setting with a brand new Bronco is 1%. Actually probably lower. That's a great way to destroy a vehicle in no time, and those higher speed race vehicles are built special for that usage.

As for rock crawling, I think the term is being misused. I "rocked crawled" all along the Rockies for years. Lots of people do it. I'm not talking the specialized crazy obstacle rock crawling, but the everyday driving of rocky and obstacle laden trails, at speeds where you need a 2 speed transfer case in low. Situations where clearance and articulation are generally good things to have.

Many more owners do that sort of rock crawling than barreling along at speed in some desert. I strongly disagree with the notion some people are posting in this thread, that we should be glad if the new Bronco is not geared towards rock crawling.
very much this. and why do we need another high speed desert runner? Aren't there half a dozen of them out there already? ZX2, F-150 raptor, Ranger raptor, TRD Pro 4runner, TRD Tacoma, some chevy full size? And even then, turning a vehicle into a moderate desert runner is fairly simple and straight forward (hell, people do it with VW BEETLES all the time). Rock climbing, and trailing, is a bit more specialized, there ARE benefits of SFA over IFS on the trail, not least of which is the described flex and strength of an SFA over IFS.

As for my use, I don't do much rock climbing, and no high speed whoops. I use my vehicles for fording water and mud. And the name of the game for all of those is floor board clearance, tire height, and tire width. while the front pumpkin dragging is a detriment in mud with an SFA over IFS, the fact that I could simple install tires a few inches taller more than make up for it, and help with clearing the rear pumpkin. Taller tires that the SFA can handle that IFS cannot. And then to go taller still, you can swap out to heavier solid axles significantly easier if you already have solid axles to start with.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah @Stampede.OffroadThis is a purpose built Baja truck. I’m sure the production model and cross our fingers “ Rock Monster “ Bronco are going to be more trail oriented.
+1. I'm hoping the production Bronco Bronco is geared towards trail running. The type where you need a low speed transfer case, good articulation and reasonable clearance. Practically no one is going to be racing at high speed around some desert with a new Bronco. Plus hitting some unseen obstacle off-road at 45mph is going to damage a production vehicle in short order. It's a fantasy, which is fine for marketing and the desert racing history and all. I get that part for marketing.

Most JL/Bronco owners don't even go off-road. But those who do go off-road (and I don't mean a dirt road) will appreciate a new Bronco similar in capability to the Jeep JL. Personally, I hope we get something that plays off the original Bronco lines and iconography, something like this image:

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If not a V8 raptor version, I'm almost positive they'll eventually offer a V8 as an option. Somewhere down the line someone rich and powerful and influential and older, lol is going to stress, "why no V8?" Yes it goes against the current Ford pathos of ecoboostin', but I hate to admit it.... I missed the sound of the V8 rumble in the baja race vid.
I like the idea of a V8 being an option. The main thing that makes me think it won't happen is that there were the exact same complaints when the Raptor lost the V8 and when the Ford GT came out, and they both remain Ecoboost.

You're correct, the amount of people that are going to be doing high speed desert racing with a Bronco is very small. The amount of people that are going to be doing hard core rock crawling (the specialized crazy obstacles) is also very small. As 68fbjjz109 mentioned, the most common situation for people that actually offroad them will be just the sort of thing you do. Overlanding and driving along moderate trails. An IFS Bronco set up properly for off-roading with a low range gearbox should be just fine. I'd venture a guess that IFS pickups, FJ cruisers, XTerras, and the like make it through the trails you are talking about?

If Ford is going with IFS because they know the road manners and handling will be far superior while still allowing for the off-road capability that the vast majority of people need, they would be stupid NOT to lean into their desert racing heritage to give it the credibility for the masses.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
+1. I'm hoping the production Bronco Bronco is geared towards trail running. The type where you need a low speed transfer case, good articulation and reasonable clearance. Practically no one is going to be racing at high speed around some desert with a new Bronco. Plus hitting some unseen obstacle off-road at 45mph is going to damage a production vehicle in short order. It's a fantasy, which is fine for marketing and the desert racing history and all. I get that part for marketing.

Most JL/Bronco owners don't even go off-road. But those who do go off-road (and I don't mean a dirt road) will appreciate a new Bronco similar in capability to the Jeep JL. Personally, I hope we get something that plays off the original Bronco lines and iconography, something like this image:
The jeep sells a fantasy just as much as a desert racer Bronco. An IFS Bronco can still have a low speed transfer case, good articulation and reasonable clearance and make it through moderate trails that you are describing. The wrangler sells the 'drive over giant rocks slowly' fantasy and the Bronco looks to be selling the 'go all out on the desert' fantasy. Both use the fantasy to sell vehicles, and will be capable of the more moderate offroading that owners actually do.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JimmyDean, I don't entirely disagree but to be fair, the ranger raptor isn't available here, the ZR2 (which is a great all rounder) is still not Raptor territory, and the others you list are not really that special. I would not call any TRD pro a legitimate "desert runner". My hope is that the Bronco will fill the gaps between the stock Wrangler and ZR2 and ultimately take things to a level above either in many regards. Keep in mind the ZR2 is already the top of the line offering for the midsize truck segment (or the Gladiator depending on use case). Between the tire size and wheel base you can already assume the Bronco will beat the ZR2 on the rocks and obviously it will take any of the competitors to school at the high speed stuff.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Time for somebody with the ability to overlay the sheeted Bronco image over a profile shot of this one. See how they line up.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something I think a lot of people gloss over.

wranglers sell so much not because of what they are used for, but what they CAN be used for. And they've proven themselves capable of what they CAN do for decades now. Problem is, the IFS Bronco will most likely not be able to compete at the top echelon in stock classes with what the wrangler CAN do, and would certainly not be able to compete in the home garage modified type group with 6" lifts and 37" tires on a stock axle, simply because the IFS cannot handle that where as the D44 can (barely). Because an IFS cannot compete at these levels, it would never have the cred it would need to sell in numbers comparable with the Jeep for more than a year or two.

I.E. Unless the Bronco can prove that it is every bit as tough and capable as the Wrangler, it will be short lived in even the mall crawler market space. Because even mall crawlers want a vehicles that CAN do something, even if they never DO anything with it.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
I think the production version will look much more like that.
This is just to showcase some of its heritage and extreme capabilities.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and realize what this is. It’s not the Bronco we are getting. It’s a showcase Bronco. It’s a great idea and that’s it. They are going after Jeep. They aren’t going after their own truck the Raptor.
Sponsored