Ford Mach E prototype spotted for the first time

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
meh. Boring. The only interesting thing about the family mover is it's drivetrain. That's the only reason why people even know WTF this thing is.
Sponsored

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife is interested in it, she drives about 300 miles a week, So it would save us on fuel long term.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
The mustang has arguably had 2 good generations and 4 that are various shades of mediocre-dogshit. If it can survive that it can survive this, if not be improved by it IMO. I’d take a Mach E over any mustang but from 1974-2014 honestly.

I like this Mustang..

9759F6A4-4AF4-4254-A4B7-08D54132E152.jpeg

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
meh. Boring. The only interesting thing about the family mover is it's drivetrain. That's the only reason why people even know WTF this thing is.
Exactly................

Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think if Ford transitioned out of the auto business and into bicycles, there would be a "Mustang" model. Same with EVs.
This is sort of the point... Ford has already gotten out of the passenger car business. This makes the Mustang a single platform, high-cost-low-reward vehicle. Now, when this crossover "mustang" that can share its platform across MULTIPLE different vehicles takes off in sales, what do you think happens to the costly bespoke chassis? It gets phased out

This is Ford testing the waters on how much they can get away with bastardizing the Mustang name to be more profitable, nothing more

The only question is how much it will tarnish the mustang image.
The only place to go from having the most iconic vehicle name/image on the planet, is down.
This is the biggest issue. The bottom line is that a crossover ISN'T A MUSTANG. A mustang isn't about whether it's good or bad (like some here are suggesting)... sure, the Mustang II was a slow, ugly pile of dogshit BUT it still represented what a Mustang is SUPPOSED to be; A european influenced grand tourer with style and performance. Sure, the Mustang II hasn't aged well, but that's still how it was seen when it was being made.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I didn’t say anywhere in my post that they announced it. But if you simply read between the lines, you can see that this is likely the intent.

Ford has made a point to kill off ALL passenger cars, they are “transitioning to a mobility company rather than an automotive company” by their own words, crossovers have a significantly higher profit margin, and the Mustang isn’t exactly a huge money maker. Neither of the Mustang’s competitors are slated for a next generation, the plans for the 7G Mustang gets pushed back every year (started at 2021, now at 2026), higher-ups axed the budget for a clean slate platform for the next gen... all the pieces are moving together. Ford is going to let the S550 get as stale as possible so that they can say “look, this car isn’t even selling enough to offset production costs! Our NEW mustang crossover, however...”

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Even the average person who doesn't recognize Mustang as an icon and isn't a fan of all things automotive will intrinsically recognize a substantial difference between the two products despite them wearing the same small iconic albeit plastic jewelry on the grille. Sort of like calling the Chevy CUV a Blazer - imagine if a real Jeep/Bronco competitor of the same name still lived alongside it in the Chevy lineup, would people distinguish a difference between the two? If your neighbor had the tough, off-road-capable Blazer and you loved it, is it likely you'd go to the Chevy dealer and come back with the wrong one? Case in point, Bronco vs. Bronco Maverick/baby Bronco. Will we get confused as to which one is the capable, enthusiast model and which one is the poser? Is a "real" Bronco less capable if a sibling CUV wears a kicking horse badge?

I really don't want to be sharing the road with someone who is unable to discern the difference between a GT500 and the E. Chances are, those people are in a facility where they're fed by spoon and get their undergarments changed by staff anyways. I have so much faith in humanity that I look both ways at roundabouts, but even I think more of people than to assume anyone will equate Mustang models with the E in any fashion beyond what dealership they're both available at.

Lastly, if Ford wants to phase out their traditional muscle car, or attempt to "transfer" its image to an electric family-friendly sedan, hey - it's their product. The handwriting is on the wall, internal combustion has numbered days... they have to have a plan to make the transition. If the E project doesn't perform, it will be ridiculed for wearing "the badge". I'm not sure I'd count on it embarrassing Mustangs around the world, it will just be different.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I still fail to see how this thing is going to cause the demise of the mustang... if the mustang gets discontinued(it won’t) it will be discontinued regardless of a crossover. To be quite honest I think it could be possible that the mustang could become all-electric, in fact that may be inevitable not only for the mustang but for everything.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The won't cause the demise of the Mustang with the Mach E having the running pony up front it's tying the Mustang sporty image to it. There are some rumors that the Mach E maybe launched as the Mustang Mach E.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The won't cause the demise of the Mustang with the Mach E having the running pony up front it's tying the Mustang sporty image to it. There are some rumors that the Mach E maybe launched as the Mustang Mach E.
I contend that if the "sporty image" fails to adhere to the Mach-E, it won't reflect poorly on the Mustang itself - just Ford's judgement in sticking that name on it.

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I contend that if the "sporty image" fails to adhere to the Mach-E, it won't reflect poorly on the Mustang itself - just Ford's judgement in sticking that name on it.
With the camo it's hard to tell

2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-Spy-Shots-Exterior-November-2019-004-720x340.jpg
Sponsored