Ford Mach E prototype spotted for the first time

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So, an official unveiling at the same time as the order banks open? I'll have to plead ignorance on what the process usually is.

Do you think it indicates confidence in the product? Or something else? Maybe they're gauging interest? It's not like they can go back if it flops, but at least they won't have 10k of them in stock if it isn't a seller.
Sponsored

Bronco II

Black Diamond
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost50 Year Appearance Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, an official unveiling at the same time as the order banks open? I'll have to plead ignorance on what the process usually is.

Do you think it indicates confidence in the product? Or something else? Maybe they're gauging interest? It's not like they can go back if it flops, but at least they won't have 10k of them in stock if it isn't a seller.
This is different than Ford has done in the past Ford normally takes orders when the model year for the car arrives. You couldn't order a 2020 GT500 until the new model year was released. I think does indicate confidence and also gauging interest.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is sort of the point... Ford has already gotten out of the passenger car business. This makes the Mustang a single platform, high-cost-low-reward vehicle. Now, when this crossover "mustang" that can share its platform across MULTIPLE different vehicles takes off in sales, what do you think happens to the costly bespoke chassis? It gets phased out

This is Ford testing the waters on how much they can get away with bastardizing the Mustang name to be more profitable, nothing more

This is the biggest issue. The bottom line is that a crossover ISN'T A MUSTANG. A mustang isn't about whether it's good or bad (like some here are suggesting)... sure, the Mustang II was a slow, ugly pile of dogshit BUT it still represented what a Mustang is SUPPOSED to be; A european influenced grand tourer with style and performance. Sure, the Mustang II hasn't aged well, but that's still how it was seen when it was being made.
The mustang will be sharing platforms with the explorer and aviator. Possibly the next gen continental too. This will keep costs down.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I still fail to see how this thing is going to cause the demise of the mustang... if the mustang gets discontinued(it won’t) it will be discontinued regardless of a crossover. To be quite honest I think it could be possible that the mustang could become all-electric, in fact that may be inevitable not only for the mustang but for everything.
Many buy the mustang for unique styling alone. Steal that styling for something else (and make it all electric
which I agree, probably everything going electric eventually), what will be the point of owning a mustang at all.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Many buy the mustang for unique styling alone. Steal that styling for something else (and make it all electric
which I agree, probably everything going electric eventually), what will be the point of owning a mustang at all.
You’re right. I’m gonna get rid of my Jeep Wrangler because the other jeeps exist. And definitely not buying the Bronco because of the baby Bronco.

If mustang owners REALLY think like this then they’re a bunch of crybaby’s

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm old enough to remember when airlines were differentiated - at least they thought they were. But once feds deregulated the industry, it became 100% clear the product was totally generic.

Same has happened to 'basic' transportation...its become generic. And once that happens, its a race to the lowest price point. Ford is wise to play elsewhere...at least while 'elsewhere' still exists.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You’re right. I’m gonna get rid of my Jeep Wrangler because the other jeeps exist. And definitely not buying the Bronco because of the baby Bronco.

If mustang owners REALLY think like this then they’re a bunch of crybaby’s
It's sounds like the crybabys are those that don't like the fact that a good portion of the high end vehicle buyers purchase due to
exclusivity, and looks play a huge roll in that many times. If you've never heard of someone not buying a car because they
don't want to see themselves coming and going, need to spend a little more time on auto message boards.

Lighter weight = better accel (with identical drivetrains) and typically much better handling.
IE, takes a 265 wide tire for edge to do about the same handling Fusion Sport does with a 235, and that
is steady state cornering, quick transient maneuvers (like accident avoidance) are night and day on same
version of vehicle, sedan vs SUV. (Edge braking also 7 feet longer from 70 long, again with much larger tire and
a bit better braking on edge).

I'm not advocating Ford not make an SUVE, I just think the styling could stand on it's own
(and should probably be much more futuristic than anything they have ever made).

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's sounds like the crybabys are those that don't like the fact that a good portion of the high end vehicle buyers purchase due to
exclusivity, and looks play a huge roll in that many times. If you've never heard of someone not buying a car because they
don't want to see themselves coming and going, need to spend a little more time on auto message boards.
It you are SERIOUSLY calling a mustang an “Exclusive” car I’ve got some oceanfront property out here in Phoenix that you might be interested in.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It you are SERIOUSLY calling a mustang an “Exclusive” car I’ve got some oceanfront property out here in Phoenix that you might be interested in.
Well.....now a days it's becoming exclusive in that it's a front engine V8, manual transmission, with rear wheel drive and two doors. Those are becoming rare in a world filling up with crossovers.

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh, interesting. Yeah, that has the potential to cut out the dealer... it would really change the paradigm. Maybe dealers won't be too upset, not sure if that's where they make their money anyways - trade-ins and service/parts are said by many to be the profit centers of dealerships. I have no direct knowledge of this, there are others here who may comment more intelligently.

Stang72

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Oh please, stop being so dramatic. This model is a game changer for this brand. It's not half-assed and will not tarnish the Mustang name.
He is right. The Mustang is an icon and it should not be watered down.

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base
upload_2019-11-12_8-17-33.jpeg

i saw this Mazda 3 on the way to work this morning. It immediately reminded me of the Mach E.
Sponsored