Sponsored

With some design elements now known... Are you buying the Bronco?

Buying a Bronco

• Total voters

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think Wrangler is 5"....just sayin'
Sponsored

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree that huge screen isn't necessary or ideal, but I can't believe that's a make or break point for buying an entire vehicle LOL
Some people appreciate the necessary and ideal in a vehicle. Then there’s people like this poser with 24” chrome rims and flame paint job who over look it and buy anyway..
If an interior is unappealing to the eye, such as the horribly located and outrageously huge screen and squared hump for a dash that looks like some guy welded it up in his garage and then wrapped vinyl over it then why would I buy it? it’s the heart of What you see when driving the car. It looks home made, it looks cheap and it in no way compares to the competition. If you felt like I do about the interior, would you still buy the car?
I am going to refocus my attention on the BroncoBronco and in a couple years once the rough edges are cleared up on the Mach E I may revisit the idea of buying one. Until then, no thanks.
So “LOL” all you want but in 2 years that screen will be reduced to a reasonable 8-10 inches and properly integrated into the dash.

D6E1E096-9CEF-4A2E-B0B0-5AFE9BA941CE.jpeg

DD3D646C-559F-49DE-9C00-6FA9CED32EAD.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I too remember when Apple debuted the iPhone 6 and they went bankrupt because the screen was way too big, nobody wants that etc...

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I too remember when Apple debuted the iPhone 6
I remember Steve Jobs standing on stage & televised rollouts of their next wonder-product. I remember watching live on CNBC or Bloomberg when they overlaid real-time increases of Apple stock as ole' Steve rotated the 'objet du jour' in his hand. Wow...those were the days. But have you noticed "F" stuck in the mud during all the MachE hype this week?

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not opposed to having a large display, I'm just worried about something potentially fragile hanging out in the way of things like it appears to be in the Mach-E.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t understand why people think the infotainment tech will be obsolete quickly. Unless you think Apple or google is going away anytime soon the tech will be relevant. It just mirrors the apps on your phone.

heck even the version of SYNC I have in my 2011 5.0 is still useful and the car is almost 10 years old. When will having Bluetooth, nav with traffic, screen for displaying the backup cam, voice commands, etc be obsolete?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don’t understand why people think the infotainment tech will be obsolete quickly. Unless you think Apple or google is going away anytime soon the tech will be relevant. It just mirrors the apps on your phone.

heck even the version of SYNC I have in my 2011 5.0 is still useful and the car is almost 10 years old. When will having Bluetooth, nav with traffic, screen for displaying the backup cam, voice commands, etc be obsolete?
Because the S4 phone I have, which came out 6 years ago (mine isn't 6 years old, I got it way after 2013)
I'm told soon won't have GPS that works too well and overall won't fit with the new network coming down the pike.

https://community.verizonwireless.c...eries/Is-the-Galaxy-S4-supported/td-p/1080205

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don’t understand why people think the infotainment tech will be obsolete quickly.
screens themselves are on the way out....phones....pads....autos, etc. Prolly passé in 5 years or less

Sponsored

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Because operating systems expand to use the resources and capabilities of the latest hardware technology and system parameters. Loading a bulkier and more resource-intensive OS (not to mention ever more demanding and detailed content) will intensify the load on three-year old hardware, and at some point updates are no longer supported because the software has become incompatible with legacy technology. It's fine to sunset a laptop computer after 10 years, but much easier and cost-effective to do that with an up-to-date tablet than with an automotive infotainment system.

Modern infotainment systems are more than a mirror for apps on your phone. Sure, your 2011 hardware is still "useful", but part of the appeal of modern tech is being up-to-date and upgradable. 10 year old hardware simply can't compete with the constant upward spiral of storage capacity, screen resolution, data transfer, bus speed, and content complexity. Swapping out a $700 tablet every 3-4 years is much more cost effective than doing the same with an entire car - for most people. If you are satisfied with your dash and don't need the up-to-date speed and functionality of an infotainment system, or you trade up every 3-4 years, an OEM system is fine... but if you want to use the latest features (and, not for nothing, have them consistent, familiar, and available from vehicle to vehicle), portable technology may be a better answer.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Because operating systems expand to use the resources and capabilities of the latest hardware technology and system parameters. Loading a bulkier and more resource-intensive OS (not to mention ever more demanding and detailed content) will intensify the load on three-year old hardware, and at some point updates are no longer supported because the software has become incompatible with legacy technology. It's fine to sunset a laptop computer after 10 years, but much easier and cost-effective to do that with an up-to-date tablet than with an automotive infotainment system.

Modern infotainment systems are more than a mirror for apps on your phone. Sure, your 2011 hardware is still "useful", but part of the appeal of modern tech is being up-to-date and upgradable. 10 year old hardware simply can't compete with the constant upward spiral of storage capacity, screen resolution, data transfer, bus speed, and content complexity. Swapping out a $700 tablet every 3-4 years is much more cost effective than doing the same with an entire car - for most people. If you are satisfied with your dash and don't need the up-to-date speed and functionality of an infotainment system, or you trade up every 3-4 years, an OEM system is fine... but if you want to use the latest features (and, not for nothing, have them consistent, familiar, and available from vehicle to vehicle), portable technology may be a better answer.
That's exactly WHY I like the systems that mirror your phone apps so much. All I really want an automotive infotainment system to do is play the music from my phone, and show the navigation app from my phone mirrored onto a bigger screen. So long as a system supports Carplay/Android Auto, it extends the useful life of that device significantly, because the updates to apps and the hardware running them can happen on your mobile device rather than the inbuilt system. I don't see using carplay with the iPhone XRSE2 in 5 or even 10 years being an issue with current head units. OId bluetooth headsets still work with modern phones, this should be no different.

It's possible in 10 years the screen could seem low quality if we have some major change in screen technology, the first vehicles that had screens back in the early 2000s certainly look dated now, but I don't see why it wouldn't still function. I'd be perfectly happy if the new Bronco had the screen from my 2012 iPad Mini in it, that's an 8" screen with a totally sufficient resolution and screen quality even by today's standards as far as I'm concerned.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
...... but I can't believe that's a make or break point for buying an entire vehicle LOL
It can be. BMW PUCK and display SUCKS hard.
Wife thought she wanted an X5 MSeries until we were rented one by insurance company.
She absolutely HATED the BMW screen and Puck.
She no longer wants a BMW.

Convenience and Familiarity are strong purchase incentives. The SYNC/Dash in Ford is pretty good right now. Get the midsize screen WITHOUT NAV and use Phone has been perfect for her.
I would not want 15" screen in a Bronco (Truck) as it WILL get broken.

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Me too.

Actually...IFS would be a deal breaker for me. I have an IFS rig, and it's...Not optimal...To put it lightly...For daily use. It'll climb a tree and is amazing off-road, but I'm not driving that on the highway to work daily.

I want decent power, GREAT looks, daily utility, comfort and reliability.

I also feel that I'm in the minority that WANTS all the new whizbang tech.
Whizbang tech is awesome....as long as it's still under warranty.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's exactly WHY I like the systems that mirror your phone apps so much. All I really want an automotive infotainment system to do is play the music from my phone, and show the navigation app from my phone mirrored onto a bigger screen. So long as a system supports Carplay/Android Auto, it extends the useful life of that device significantly, because the updates to apps and the hardware running them can happen on your mobile device rather than the inbuilt system. I don't see using carplay with the iPhone XRSE2 in 5 or even 10 years being an issue with current head units. OId bluetooth headsets still work with modern phones, this should be no different.

It's possible in 10 years the screen could seem low quality if we have some major change in screen technology, the first vehicles that had screens back in the early 2000s certainly look dated now, but I don't see why it wouldn't still function. I'd be perfectly happy if the new Bronco had the screen from my 2012 iPad Mini in it, that's an 8" screen with a totally sufficient resolution and screen quality even by today's standards as far as I'm concerned.
Exactly, that’s the point I’m getting at. Sure hardware and software advances, but the gap between being the latest and greatest and being obsolete is huge.

An 8-track player is obsolete. A 2017 MacBook is not the latest & greatest but still highly useful.

That’s fine if folks prefer a modular approach where you could swap out a tablet in the dash. I personally think that would be more trouble then it’s worth. The features it will offer will age quite well with the car IMO
Sponsored