Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a big project for the capable bumper in the works. Perhaps I’ll see if it a worthy of selling. Apart from developing a brand new product, I found some shop time while the NHL was on its ASG break. Think Light Mount

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 74A20372-D9D4-40A0-84BD-C6BDEF3B0B6D
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 229C9F45-E54B-4374-BB38-0A80F308FF19

In the evenings I prepped the Relays and wiring harness for the LP9’s.

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands FEE531FA-4BB5-4631-B8C3-9C053A2E4C08

I’m really excited for the potential of this project. Of course, I might be reaching with my expectations. Only time will tell.

I finally got the @ORACLE Lighting Grill letters swapped on. Unfortunately the N was chipped (sharpied in the missing paint) and the primer wipes were bone dry. A few of the plastic weld holes needed to be opened up to avoid stressing the wiring or sticking over it… elongated if you will…. I threw a .25” endmill into the drill and relieved where necessary. Soldering in the letters to make their own harness, I melted a hot glue stick to get everything routed cleanly and oriented

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 4C3BE564-7D38-4B98-AC2F-7BE44786E176

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands A6A47FAD-D58C-4D9C-9E0A-7C994A6D918C

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands A247764E-710E-43D3-A455-AD0B38663BF3

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 87AF3D32-9A24-4F97-900E-C28C2B3314F1

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 656B2AAC-2422-4EA5-9396-7F71936FA574

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands FCCECC13-52C5-4818-AE4D-F1C0CF2A0A13
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands FD14B098-3C41-4382-8A5E-4DBAC1B7051F
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands F1C8ACBC-B295-410A-BC09-4BDBB5D7FA81

Once the letters were in, I popped off the flares and removed the lower trim under the grill. It snapped out real easy with a panel tool. The LP9 Harness is ran within, the Deustch pigtails will pop out at the exact length and position to mate up with the lights! Custom and Clean install is always nice. I don’t have much to share on the harness photo wise, I was lost in the process.

Alongside the LP9 Prep, I finally wired in the SS3 and SS5 DRL’s. With the Oracles, I tied them into Aux 6.

They look even better at night

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands FEF91FFE-B740-425A-894F-8CA734E34E40
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 56331054-0842-4D3A-878A-7E2E46BC08FC

After hooking everything up I went home and noticed the Pass. Fog lamp was not working. “Its on the list for tomorrow”, I guess. All I can say is it’s good that I addressed it sooner rather than later. The insulation had rubbed down, the wire had corroded and the remains were smoking under use… shit

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands BCCEDC88-D84D-4632-B1C7-26D7EFAD8931

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands E990DC13-04E7-4D40-BD3F-143245C019A1

I cut out the bad, and soldered in some new. Secured both sides with some zip ties and called it a fix. Disaster avoided. #stancypants

One of the side projects was to turn some old snow gear clamps into something resembling a snow board carrier while using the Wilco Hitchgate that I utilized for the Foresters Full Sized Spare.

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands F7CEEC63-89DA-469E-8A70-41DC1062E593
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands BECB8CF6-3F9C-4382-8BA2-5032FFFCFEFA

This week I need to pick up the hitch extension, fab up the mounting point for the snow gear carrier, and hopefully get the prototype light mounts back from powder to start testing!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Boreal

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its coming together. A whole lotta shop time this week. Amongst the chaos, the Wilco Hitchgate that was on the Forester was refreshed and repurposed.

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands IMG_9546
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands IMG_9551
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands IMG_9552

Some IAG goodies showed up. I quickly swapped the steps out for the fresh set. The seatback protectors were tough to find at a reasonable price last time I looked (Canada), I saved some bucks getting them on the I-Line and bunched into the shipment. The Interior LED kit and doors-off footpegs were tossed in the mix.

Another run to Princess Auto tomorrow to get the last bit of parts needed to tighten the assembly up for the snowboard/ski trip that's on the horizon!

OP
OP
Boreal

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bronco has been solid thus far. Foreshadowing.

1,350kms to Calgary, another 800kms of bootin around the Canadian Rockies and we were ready to head home.

20 minutes on the road to head home and as we are about to leave the city, the rig stumbles, throws the Powertrain/Drivetrain malfunction. Service immediately. The rig is buckin, turbo has minimal control with tons of poppin, I was able to limp it over to a dealer - 5kms or so.

The people at Woodridge Ford/Lincoln were gracious enough to check OASIS. As soon as he loaded the vin, he was getting my info to submit for warranty. An ECU/ECM re-flash is what they decided to start with and we will go from there. Not very confidence inspiring for the 1,350kms needed to get back home - but what else can we do? I will update the post here with more details regarding the codes thrown at a later time

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The bronco has been solid thus far. Foreshadowing.

1,350kms to Calgary, another 800kms of bootin around the Canadian Rockies and we were ready to head home.

20 minutes on the road to head home and as we are about to leave the city, the rig stumbles, throws the Powertrain/Drivetrain malfunction. Service immediately. The rig is buckin, turbo has minimal control with tons of poppin, I was able to limp it over to a dealer - 5kms or so.

The people at Woodridge Ford/Lincoln were gracious enough to check OASIS. As soon as he loaded the vin, he was getting my info to submit for warranty. An ECU/ECM re-flash is what they decided to start with and we will go from there. Not very confidence inspiring for the 1,350kms needed to get back home - but what else can we do? I will update the post here with more details regarding the codes thrown at a later time
Good luck, hopefully they can figure it out and get it fixed right the first time. Sorry your trip got interrupted.

OP
OP
Boreal

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good luck, hopefully they can figure it out and get it fixed right the first time. Sorry your trip got interrupted.
It ended up throwing a P061b. “The P061B code indicates an issue with the engine torque monitoring system”

Some quick googling suggests MAF/Intake issues.. We’ve been driving in whiteout/blizzard conditions for a few days… perhaps the Intake air filter could’ve been a tad frozen/iced up?

I didn’t crack the air box, so I won’t know for sure. But 300kms down and it’s been trouble free since the dealer visit this morning.

They did a quick pinpoint test and some basic Diag. No TSB/SSM’s or PCM issues or updates.

Onwards we press.

Sponsored

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It ended up throwing a P061b. “The P061B code indicates an issue with the engine torque monitoring system”

Some quick googling suggests MAF/Intake issues.. We’ve been driving in whiteout/blizzard conditions for a few days… perhaps the Intake air filter could’ve been a tad frozen/iced up?

I didn’t crack the air box, so I won’t know for sure. But 300kms down and it’s been trouble free since the dealer visit this morning.

They did a quick pinpoint test and some basic Diag. No TSB/SSM’s or PCM issues or updates.

Onwards we press.
That sounds like a likely culprit, hopefully it got it out of it's system and you won't have any more trouble. Enjoy your trip and look forward to seeing your pictures. I checked out your website and was amazed at your eye and talent.

OP
OP
Boreal

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FIRST LOOK AT THE CAPABLE LIGHTMOUNT!!!

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 3C492E38-B953-472D-8382-B0DCEC8146B3

After the Bronco threw its code, and Woodridge Ford/Lincoln in Calgary helped with the due diligence check over, I drove 13 hours home… rolling in a few hours later and redbulls deeper than expected. There haven’t been any issues since. The following day, I brought the rig to work, swapped the oil back to the 5w-30 (now that we are out of the deep cold and headed into spring). To be doubly sure about the cause, I popped the airbox cover off and the Air Filter was partially snowy with a layer of ice in the bottom of the box - plugging the drain. Perhaps the air filter got a tad frozen causing an air restriction that inevitably threw the code?

Before I left for this little boarding excursion, the v1 Recovery/Light Mounts came back from powder coating! While the powder was being applied, I created the light harness and routed it through the front end of the bronco… almost completely hidden. The LP9’s require pins 3 & 4 not to be energized simultaneously. I didn’t want to plumb in a double pole double throw switch, but I wanted to utilize the factory auxiliary switches. To do this I wired in two relays where the power output of the second relay routed (87 and 87A) is able to turn on each circuit as required without energizing both at the same time. You can trigger auxiliary one to fire the low beam of the pod light, and auxiliary two triggers the high beam. The benefit of this set up is that you must trigger low beam auxiliary in order to energize the pods at all, so you could leave the high beam on if you’re using it frequently and just flash Aux one on and off as a main power switch as needed.

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands DF771E5E-7545-4517-9935-C365BA03B250
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 328EC83D-0EFB-429A-B506-4D9878F43A43
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands C1016154-DA9A-4D7F-B880-D9211099B5DE

Here’s a little sneak peak of what’s upcoming. These are v1 light mounts, of what I am looking for in this product. V2 should be even better… perhaps there’ll be a “Street Tier” and an “Off-road Tier”…

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 88F42123-862F-451B-AC8D-7CE8BA769BA8
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 12448D81-B657-4024-9675-F9DA04B4CE91
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 3C013AAB-83EC-4380-808F-8D9EB679115A
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 9B888240-3C36-450F-9767-7F1C82FE8474
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands E3F8899B-CC7B-4295-A03A-F553062BD26C
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 28F21DA1-B1E7-4BC7-8B83-CBE92338477D
Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 6C58C07F-6735-4D38-BE14-CBD2230BA93C

OEM Low Beams and SS3 Max Fogs
v

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 51DC4E2E-E360-4FC2-AE02-BBA0F71DFA5E

OEM Low Beams, SS3 Max Fogs and LP9 Low Beams
v

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 791F58C3-8B50-4988-A0E7-655845ABE7A3

OEM Low Beams, SS3 Max Fogs and SS5 Sport Ditch Lights
v

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 35A17BCA-2F75-4043-BB2B-5503C526F77E

OEM Low Beams, SS3 Max Fogs, SS5 Sport Ditch Lights and LP9 Low Beams
v

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 97EF714F-40B5-4D9F-9E4C-35DF2CA05015

OEM Low Beams, SS3 Max Fogs, SS5 Sport Combo Ditch Lights and LP9 High Beams
v

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands 5098016D-4494-4517-8FA6-9F3BA0D04753

As always, and still…. More to come!

“Stay Pumped”

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boreal

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving to the game two days back and I feel a stumble in power early on in the cruise. Oh no. Flashbacks of Calgary. Perhaps it was a bump in the road with a perfectly timed throttle lift, I tell myself to cope….

NOPE! About 15kms later she’s throwing CEL’s, and we are down to Limp Mode again. I cycle the ignition at a stop light, no go. Fine. I found a nice grocer parking lot to pull into, pop the negative terminal off for five minutes and she’s good to go again. For shits and giggles gave the fuse box bolts a little elbow grease just to be sure…

Fast forward to today, and a quick call to my local dealer (where I have an appt in a couple of weeks for the 7MT 5/6 synchro tsb, and hard top seals) and my SA confirms that it’s NOT the same issue as noted in Calgary, but similar.

A module had improper performance and shutdown badly mid drive, bad enough to throw codes. She was mentioning multiple computers and such, but there was a common harness and connector that might be the culprit? Regardless, it’s their issue to deal with when it comes in.

Hopefully it’s just a little gremlin and not evidence of a Lemon in hiding.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
FIRST LOOK AT THE CAPABLE LIGHTMOUNT!!!

Ford Bronco The Boreal Badlands March 18, 2023_4491-LR-2

After the Bronco threw its code, and Woodridge Ford/Lincoln in Calgary helped with the due diligence check over, I drove 13 hours home… rolling in a few hours later and redbulls deeper than expected. There haven’t been any issues since. The following day, I brought the rig to work, swapped the oil back to the 5w-30 (now that we are out of the deep cold and headed into spring). To be doubly sure about the cause, I popped the airbox cover off and the Air Filter was partially snowy with a layer of ice in the bottom of the box - plugging the drain. Perhaps the air filter got a tad frozen causing an air restriction that inevitably threw the code?

Before I left for this little boarding excursion, the v1 Recovery/Light Mounts came back from powder coating! While the powder was being applied, I created the light harness and routed it through the front end of the bronco… almost completely hidden. The LP9’s require pins 3 & 4 not to be energized simultaneously. I didn’t want to plumb in a double pole double throw switch, but I wanted to utilize the factory auxiliary switches. To do this I wired in two relays where the power output of the second relay routed (87 and 87A) is able to turn on each circuit as required without energizing both at the same time. You can trigger auxiliary one to fire the low beam of the pod light, and auxiliary two triggers the high beam. The benefit of this set up is that you must trigger low beam auxiliary in order to energize the pods at all, so you could leave the high beam on if you’re using it frequently and just flash Aux one on and off as a main power switch as needed.

Here’s a little sneak peak of what’s upcoming. These are v1 light mounts, of what I am looking for in this product. V2 should be even better… perhaps there’ll be a “Street Tier” and an “Off-road Tier”…

As always, and still…. More to come!

“Stay Pumped”
Looks great. I see you didn’t go with tailgate reinforcement. Not being critical, I just wanna know what you think. 1. Reinforcement is unnecessary. 2. You’re buying that next.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Boreal

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks great. I see you didn’t go with tailgate reinforcement. Not being critical, I just wanna know what you think. 1. Reinforcement is unnecessary. 2. You’re buying that next.
Documentation says that the tailgate is approx capable of 133lbs. Atleast I came across that somewhere.

OEM Sas Wheel weight Is approx. 87lbs. I’m on OEM 33’s…. So there will be some weight savings there…

The JCR Rack is about 20lbs. The DV8 Trax, Rotopax (Empty) and mounts are negligible ~5lbs.

Fuelled up Pax are 15lbs (15L).

87+40lbs (wet) and you are right at the limit of 130lbs.

I mostly run with the Pax empty to minimize the weight… one day ill swap the bumpers and suspension out to build everything up properly

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Documentation says that the tailgate is approx capable of 133lbs. Atleast I came across that somewhere.

OEM Sas Wheel weight Is approx. 87lbs. I’m on OEM 33’s…. So there will be some weight savings there…

The JCR Rack is about 20lbs. The DV8 Trax, Rotopax (Empty) and mounts are negligible ~5lbs.

Fuelled up Pax are 15lbs (15L).

87+40lbs (wet) and you are right at the limit of 130lbs.

I mostly run with the Pax empty to minimize the weight… one day ill swap the bumpers and suspension out to build everything up properly
Thank you. That math puts me at a tailgate support with Squatch wheels and tires. I don’t plan on running my basket (when I finally get it) the whole time, unless it is a complete PITA to remove/install and the process changes my mind for me.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Oracle Bronco lights look fantastic. You wired into Aux6 so you must remember to turn them in. Could that have been wired into existing parking lights?

you mentioned you’re not thrilled with any of the roof rack options. What are you hoping for? I’m considering the TrailRax half rack mainly to carry skis in the winter. In the summer might attach rotopax or other gear. Not a lot of extra weight. Have you looked at their racks?

are you happy with the oil catch can after all those miles? Is it worth the effort? I’m debating back & forth. Seems to be a very polarizing option.

thx! Awesome mod thread.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking good!!!

Another Purpose Built and Bad Ass 2dr door...👍👍

OG-Surfdog

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.the65falcon.com
Vehicle(s)
'65 Falcon, '74 TR-6, '13 F150, '21 Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looking good!!!

Another Purpose Built and Bad Ass 2dr door...👍👍
^ what he said..........and on 33's at that !!!!!
Sponsored