Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It does, in fact, look fantastic.

But serious question, how well can it go offroad with no lockers, no Advanced 4WD, and stock Base gearing?

JDoc92

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

friethmiller

Everglades
First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 1974 Porsche 914, 1974 Porsche 914 LE
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Yeah, I’d be picking up some SAS fenders to complete it. Your rig looks awesome, btw.

Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What is the offset on the Everglades wheels?

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

But serious question, how well can it go offroad with no lockers, no Advanced 4WD, and stock Base gearing?
Nitpick: Why would you need Advanced 4WD for going offroad? It's my understanding that 4A is most beneficial for on-road use.

jonesh242

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trail-Squak, YT Capra 29er & Decoy Mullet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Delivered last August after an 8 month wait, hemmed and hawed about the wheel/tire combo to upgrade to (mostly street use, limited offroad). Finally pulled the trigger after the Everglades wheel kit came out recently, and so glad I waited! Put 35" Toyo AT3's on with a 2" lift + running boards. So happy.

Before:

Ford Bronco Before/After: Base Bronco 4D gets 2" lift, Everglades wheels, 35s. Amazing. 778EAF75-8CE4-4ABF-A945-85B28B0A46BA

After:

Ford Bronco Before/After: Base Bronco 4D gets 2" lift, Everglades wheels, 35s. Amazing. 778EAF75-8CE4-4ABF-A945-85B28B0A46BA

Booyah! Game changer!

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nitpick: Why would you need Advanced 4WD for going offroad? It's my understanding that 4A is most beneficial for on-road use.
Honestly I'm not sure, which is one reason I ask. I don't have 4A on my Bronco, but I was under the impression it can compensate for not having a locker by applying braking power to individual wheels to keep them from spinning, allowing the wheel with traction to move. Maybe regular basic GOAT mode can do that? Which is maybe what helps a non-Sas Base model offroad?

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honestly I'm not sure, which is one reason I ask. I don't have 4A on my Bronco, but I was under the impression it can compensate for not having a locker by applying braking power to individual wheels to keep them from spinning, allowing the wheel with traction to move. Maybe regular basic GOAT mode can do that? Which is maybe what helps a non-Sas Base model offroad?
That's not what the Advanced Transfer Case does.

You get the "brake lock differential" (grabbing brakes to stop wheelspin, kind of a poor man's limited slip differential--not the same as a locking differential) regardless of which transfer case you have. It's not a function of the transfer case, nor of which GOAT mode you're in (as far as I know, willing to be corrected).
Edit: Manual says we have "AdvanceTrac" and I thought that it does what I'm describing above, but based on other thread, now I'm not sure of that.​

The Advanced Transfer Case (which adds 4A mode, in addition to 2H, 4H, and 4L) does two things. It uses a clutch-based transfer case which allows you to use 4A on the road without risking drivetrain binding on pavement. Typically not something that matters off-road, as the terrain allows wheel slippage, where binding is not a concern. Furthermore, if you're really going hard core off-roading you probably don't want to be in 4A, where the clutch will probably be constantly engaging and disengaging. You want to put it in 4H or 4L and leave it there.

Secondly, the Advanced Transfer Case has a higher ratio (shorter gearing--hope I'm saying that right) when in 4L, which some people may want. This lets you go very slowly without having to slip the clutch over rough terrain. But it's not like the regular transfer case is bad in this regard, especially with the Crawler gear the Bronco has.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the Advanced Transfer Case, and specifically bought the Black Diamond trim because it's the lowest trim level that allows that option (without getting the Sasquatch package, which gets you the Advanced Transfer Case--and you can get Sas on any trim level). I can tell my daughters, "Just put it in 4A if the weather is bad." And not worry about the Bronco being damaged with them running in 4H on the road. Essentially, 4A lets you drive your Bronco as if it's a CRV or Rav4, 4WD on demand. It's just not a key off-road feature, as I understand it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's not what the Advanced Transfer Case does.

You get the "brake lock differential" (grabbing brakes to stop wheelspin, kind of a poor man's limited slip differential--not the same as a locking differential) regardless of which transfer case you have. It's not a function of the transfer case, nor of which GOAT mode you're in (as far as I know, willing to be corrected).

The Advanced Transfer Case (which adds 4A mode, in addition to 2H, 4H, and 4L) does two things. It uses a clutch-based transfer case which allows you to use 4A on the road without risking drivetrain binding on pavement. Typically not something that matters off-road, as the terrain allows wheel slippage, where binding is not a concern. Furthermore, if you're really going hard core off-roading you probably don't want to be in 4A, where the clutch will probably be constantly engaging and disengaging. You want to put it in 4H or 4L and leave it there.

Secondly, the Advanced Transfer Case has a higher ratio (shorter gearing--hope I'm saying that right) when in 4L, which some people may want. This lets you go very slowly without having to slip the clutch over rough terrain. But it's not like the regular transfer case is bad in this regard, especially with the Crawler gear the Bronco has.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of the Advanced Transfer Case, and specifically bought the Black Diamond trim because it's the lowest trim level that allows that option. I can tell my daughters, "Just put it in 4A if the weather is bad." And not worry about the Bronco being damaged with them running in 4H on the road. Essentially, 4A lets you drive your Bronco as if it's a CRV or Rav4, 4WD on demand. It's just not a key off-road feature, as I understand it.
Makes sense. We didn't really consider 4A because we hardly ever drive in snow or ice, so it just didn't seem necessary.

Also, as I understand it, the "poor man's limited-slip", as you call it (good name, btw) doesn't work in 4L, correct?

JDoc92

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bronc6g22

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6, Tacoma TRDOR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Delivered last August after an 8 month wait, hemmed and hawed about the wheel/tire combo to upgrade to (mostly street use, limited offroad). Finally pulled the trigger after the Everglades wheel kit came out recently, and so glad I waited! Put 35" Toyo AT3's on with a 2" lift + running boards. So happy.

Before:

After:

Looks great! I have Everglades wheels on the way and 35" KO2s waiting at Discount Tire.

I think the Everglades wheel is the best option for more aggressive/retro look while keeping OEM fitment (not needing hub rings, worrying about strength of lightweight aftermarket options). Sure we'll have more spray with non-sas flares. My stock 33" KO2s already spray mud everywhere.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It does, in fact, look fantastic.

It will do fine off-road, some folks here are way over equipping their vehicles. Half of Sas Broncos probably rarely if ever leave pavement. Before all this extra stuff was easily available OEM, people were off-roading without lockers, ultra low gearing, etc.
Sponsored