03 Corolla, 93 G20, 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Video:
""

VIDEO: Ford Workers Shut Down the Line at Dearborn Truck Plant
May 22, 2020

https://labornotes.org/blogs/2020/05/video-ford-workers-shut-down-line-dearborn-truck-plant

A video taken by an auto worker and obtained exclusively by Labor Notes shows a rowdy and chaotic scene inside Ford’s Dearborn, Michigan Truck Plant on Wednesday as workers refused to work after a co-worker tested positive for COVID-19.

Some stood by the lines; others simply went home.

This is the first week of production at the Big Three automakers, following weeks of lockdowns that idled the plants.

Shifts in the Dearborn Truck Plant, which produces the F-150, run for ten hours. A-shift, the first, runs until 4:30 p.m. and B-shift starts at 6:00 p.m. Workers have to arrive early to stand in socially distanced lines and make their way into the plant after completing a health survey and having their temperature taken.

According to multiple workers in the plant, an A-shift worker left work on Tuesday and that night tested positive for the coronavirus.

When A-shift employees arrived on Wednesday, word started to spread about the confirmed case.Eventually management gave up and sent A-shift home.

“Ford sent A-shift home at 1:30 p.m. so they could clean in time for us to start,” said one B-shift worker who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation by the company.

TEMPORARIES DON'T KNOW THE JOBS
The Big Three have been hiring thousands of temporary workers in anticipation of high levels of absenteeism on the assembly lines. According to the Detroit Free
This is the first week of production at the Big Three automakers, following weeks of lockdowns that idled the plants.

Shifts in the Dearborn Truck Plant, which produces the F-150, run for ten hours. A-shift, the first, runs until 4:30 p.m. and B-shift starts at 6:00 p.m. Workers have to arrive early to stand in socially distanced lines and make their way into the plant after completing a health survey and having their temperature taken.

According to multiple workers in the plant, an A-shift worker left work on Tuesday and that night tested positive for the coronavirus.

When A-shift employees arrived on Wednesday, word started to spread about the confirmed case.Eventually management gave up and sent A-shift home.

“Ford sent A-shift home at 1:30 p.m. so they could clean in time for us to start,” said one B-shift worker who asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation by the company.

TEMPORARIES DON'T KNOW THE JOBS
The Big Three have been hiring thousands of temporary workers in anticipation of high levels of absenteeism on the assembly lines. According to the Detroit Free Press, Ford has hired 680 temporary workers there.

New hires don’t know how to perform the jobs, so the company has them work with someone else to learn on the fly.

“When the B-shift showed up, multiple lines were short, but the company had more new temporary workers than jobs so they could have workers double up on jobs,” a Dearborn Truck Plant employee said. “That means working shoulder to shoulder, they definitely are not six feet apart. Everyone started to refuse to work and the line was not running.
Ford has hired 680 temporary workers there.

New hires don’t know how to perform the jobs, so the company has them work with someone else to learn on the fly.

“When the B-shift showed up, multiple lines were short, but the company had more new temporary workers than jobs so they could have workers double up on jobs,” a Dearborn Truck Plant employee said. “That means working shoulder to shoulder, they definitely are not six feet apart. Everyone started to refuse to work and the line was not running.

MASS BREAKS
Workers said the high absenteeism also means Ford has not instituted its intended rolling breaks, but instead requires all workers to go on break at the same time.

“How do you go to the bathroom and wash your hands or go to the break room and eat when hundreds and hundreds of people are trying to do the same thing as you?” asked another employee.

All the workers who spoke with Labor Notes said they have not received any information from their union, United Auto Workers Local 600, about how the confirmed case is being handled or what changes the company will be making.

IN CHICAGO
There was also a confirmed case at Ford’s plant on Chicago’s South Side, which produces the Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator, and Ford Interceptor. Scott Houldieson, a skilled trades worker, spoke to CNN this week about how Ford’s reliance on temporary workers is putting safety at risk.

“We need to slow the line speed down, because when the workers that know those jobs are not on those jobs, if you run the line at full speed, then you end up having to double up the jobs,” Houldieson told CNN. “That brings people into closer contact with one another and is a violation of the six-foot rule, which is hard enough to enforce when workers are working their regular job on the assembly line."
--------------------------------------
My question to you guys, is it still worth it?
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bad news. Not only does this delay production of vehicles, but reliability will be a huge question with so many temp workers on the job

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agreed bad news. With no easy solution. I don't think anyone should be forced to work...folks have a choice. But I also don't think the government can continue to borrow money to keep everyone afloat for the next year. And that's probably how long we'll have this problem with us.

Evanm14

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5, Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford needs Elon Musk to run the Ford plant to ensure everyone is safe or the Germans.

DonovanJM

First Name
Donovan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang, 2014 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't they still get paid a good chunk of their pay if they stay home? If so I wouldn't mind staying home either.

Sponsored

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is the Bronco being built in Michigan or Mexico?

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Sorry but it's pathetic. These union workers are going to milk the company until it is dry and dead. Later they will get on unemployment because "big bad carmaker couldn't handle their money." Quite frankly this shouldn't be happening under the very mild circumstances. I'm not actually saying this because of the Bronco, I'm saying this because I love this beautiful country and want to be a powerhouse, not a broke and failed economy. There are thousands more people who are begging for jobs because they don't have someone like Ford who wants to restart, but unlike these union workers, they do not have anything to go back to.

DaBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sorry but it's pathetic. These union workers are going to milk the company until it is dry and dead. Later they will get on unemployment because "big bad carmaker couldn't handle their money." Quite frankly this shouldn't be happening under the very mild circumstances. I'm not actually saying this because of the Bronco, I'm saying this because I love this beautiful country and want to be a powerhouse, not a broke and failed economy. There are thousands more people who are begging for jobs because they don't have someone like Ford who wants to restart, but unlike these union workers, they do not have anything to go back to.
Cant work if you're on a ventilator.

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Cant work if you're on a ventilator.
This is fear mongering. Everyone better sell their cars, might wreck.
I hope people realize that all of the precautions are to prevent overwhelmed Healthcare systems. Those who are going to get it, will still get it. Healthy people should be out and about to build heard immunity.

Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is fear mongering. Everyone better sell their cars, might wreck.
I hope people realize that all of the precautions are to prevent overwhelmed Healthcare systems. Those who are going to get it, will still get it. Healthy people should be out and about to build heard immunity.
You fucking first.

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You fucking first.
Ouch! Did I hit a nerve? I work in an ER 48hs a week and am exposed to it... multiple staff have had it (outside of the obvious patients) in my ER. Cheers?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
You fucking first.
I’m one of the people who was initially super concerned about Covid (see my post “beer flu” from Feb 25th)

while it’s extremely apparent that COVID is dangerous as fuck it’s also apparent that if we try and keep shit locked down it will never end. I’ve been going out/stopped being as precautious because IMO the economic repurcussions of a continued lockdown is now more dangerous than covid is.

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m one of the people who was initially super concerned about Covid (see my post “beer flu” from Feb 25th)

while it’s extremely apparent that COVID is dangerous as fuck it’s also apparent that if we try and keep shit locked down it will never end. I’ve been going out/stopped being as precautious because IMO the economic repurcussions of a continued lockdown is now more dangerous than covid is.
Nothing wrong with being cautious, but people also have to adept to situations (such as you have).

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ouch! Did I hit a nerve? I work in an ER 48hs a week and am exposed to it... multiple staff have had it (outside of the obvious patients) in my ER. Cheers?
Good for you.

But this isn't about you.

Only a fucking pine cone thinks it's okay to risk other people's lives so they can buy a car or get a haircut.
Sponsored