Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Take in to account 2 door bronco has 4 feet from seatback to the back door with rear seats removed and the the doors are 4 feet minus slant of the front windshield should have 7.5 feet of room space but might need aftermarket roof rack
So what Ford needs to do is make the back AND front seats able to lay flat, giving you ~7.5' interior length on the 2 door, and plenty more on the 4 door door. 2028?
Sponsored

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what Ford needs to do is make the back AND front seats able to lay flat, giving you ~7.5' interior length on the 2 door, and plenty more on the 4 door door. 2028?
and of course level the cargo area...2029 now?

OP
OP
FATHORSE

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco Photoshop - ROOF top tent on two door 566C42D8-4268-4473-BAB0-D4EDD3F29DF8

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is a pretty sweet set-up in that it's only 24" wide when closed (83" long), leaving room on the roof rack. Although it's already coming in at 108 pounds.

Ford Bronco Photoshop - ROOF top tent on two door 892769_sized_1800x1200_rev_1

Rusty Sheckleford

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm definitely a fan of this style tent as well. I just wish we had a truck tailgate that could increase the vehicle real-estate utilize the cargo area as a second bed. You give the bronco proper fold flat floor and a tailgate, and you'd have a nice little sleeping area, especially when combined with this tent. Another option is to use a rear bench like the FSB that folds forward to take up very little space and leave a flat floor behind it.

dsc00053.jpg

This is a pretty sweet set-up in that it's only 24" wide when closed (83" long), leaving room on the roof rack. Although it's already coming in at 108 pounds.

892769_sized_1800x1200_rev_1.jpeg
is the ~100 (105?)lb limit really that strict? I would hope you can go slightly over that without any problems. As long as you yourself are not excessively overweight lol

Sponsored

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
is the ~100 (105?)lb limit really that strict? I would hope you can go slightly over that without any problems. As long as you yourself are not excessively overweight lol
I think the moving load limit is more about rollover risk than anything else.

OP
OP
FATHORSE

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

892769_sized_1800x1200_rev_1.jpeg
What brand was this one? Nevermind, found it as i was digging through the rest of them on the Thule page. Thank you. Oh and the obvious link you had in the beginning. Duh.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am also ordering 2dr Bronco and looking in to RTTs. Two limitations are dynamic load weight (110lbs) with OEM roof rails and length on a 2dr. I think the 110lb restriction will limit over 80 percent of the options out there. I am very interested in a company named GFC (Go Fast Camping) that is making an 80lb RTT named Super Light. It is, however, 90 inches long.

I would also love to know the length of the 2dr rooftop and whether this tent will fit. I emailed the company GFC and they were not sure if it would fit or not.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.24.02 PM.png
I recently emailed GFC requesting a mounting diagram with key dimensions — also considering the overhang when mounting on a 2-door Bronco — and this is what they sent me (both text and PDF attachment)...

Thanks for reaching out, I'm happy to help.

The SuperLite is made to work with a wide array of roof racks and crossbars. Given its weight, it's also compatible with most vehicles on the market. Two things to consider before purchasing are the dimensions of the tent and how much overhang will be present when mounted on the vehicle, and the static weight rating of your roof rack. I'll dive a little deeper below:

Dimensions and overhang:

I've attached a visual guide for overhang guidelines, but I'll sum it up here as well. SuperLite's need to be mounted with no more than 16" of overhang off the rear of the tent. That's because this is where you put your weight when you're entering the tent, or where you'll sit when you're hanging out at camp. In order to avoid too much leverage off the front, the front-most crossbar needs to be a minimum of 7" from the center of the tent. This means there's 38" of available overhang off the front of the tent. This basically means you'll only need 36" from crossbar to crossbar in order to successfully mount the SuperLite on your vehicle. Keep in mind, we do not recommend standing or sitting on the SuperLite when it's closed.

Crossbar/rack weight rating:

The ball is in your court on this part. You'll want to find a mounting solution that will accommodate the weight of the tent (~80 lbs) plus whoever is planning on sleep inside of it. For this, you'll want to find out the "static" weight rating of your rack or crossbars. If you determine it's a safe fit for the weight you anticipate in the tent, go for it!

Mounting/hardware:

All SuperLite tents will ship with our Universal Mounting Straps and all necessary hardware to mount the SuperLite to your vehicle. Our quick-release mounts are still in development and we hope to have those ready soon...keep an eye out for updates and check out our new SuperLite Mounting Video HERE for more information and a visual guide for mounting the SuperLite using the Universal Mounting Straps.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Attachments

Last edited:

MattyAg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2D reserved and I'm seriously considering a RTT. A hardshell would be nice, but it would definitely take up ALL the roof space.
So my other option is a soft, folding 2 man tent. The most compact one I can find... Because I wanna reserve some roof space for a small basket carrier for hard storage box, fuel/water/recovery gear.
I really recommend this tent. Not RTT. It’s cheap, easy to set up, light, and compact. I use it for backpacking, but plan on making it my full time Bronco tent and keep it with me at all times. Takes me less than 5 minutes to setup.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0727Y4XLT/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s interesting that both the Thule and Yakima RTT’s Ford will sell you weigh more than the rack’s rating?

MillerBuilt

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 3500, Dodge 2500, F150, Mercedez E350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Haha.....It’s what we call....a gimmick!

Sleep high, take wind, no insulation underneath, uncomfortable in and out, etc, etc.

name one place you had a problem with a bear while sleeping in a tent......that isn’t: Yellowstone, Actually Hunting, Lake Tahoe, Any National Park, etc.

Rooftop tent is a 18-30 year olds game. But, still a gimmick

MDH Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 F350 Crew cab 4x4 powestroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs